Question about girl doodles.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sandy B

Question about girl doodles.

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 13:36

Hi all
Hope everyone is well.
I thought that when girl dogs (never had a boy dog) had had a wee they cleaned themselves down there? Dolly has a wee smell at her back end . I may be wrong about this and hopefully someone can tell me if I am. I have had a girl dog before but that was 15 yrs ago but I dont recall her smelling of wee. Or maybe its because she is still a baby. When she goes foe a wee I have noticed that although she squats ok there is fur that gets a bit wet. Thanks in advance.
Love
Sandra x

dexysback

Re: Question about girl doodles.

Post by dexysback » 08 Feb 2015, 14:09

Are you sure its when she wees it could be her back end her glands they do smell very fishy,or she could have infection in her waters ,im not sure with girls always had boys.
ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 08 Feb 2015, 14:31

Lulu has never licked herself clean after a wee!

Try seeing if it is her wee or her that is smelly
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 14:37

Hi dexy's mum
Not sure what it is. Its not a fishy smell just the same smell as her normal wee. Like I said ,the fur gets a bit wet after a wee and I suppose the smell is after it dries. A bit like when they have wee d on the carpet and it dries a bit before you notice ?? Glands?? Goodness me I would nt have a clue what they smell like. Looks like I done have much of a clue when it comes to a dogs bits and pieces :lol: .
Thanks for your reply I appreciate it very mush.
Love
Sandra x

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 14:45

Doodledee , she is lying next to me andI sniffed her and its def only her back end that smells. Maybe I should give her that bath and then once she is nice and clean "sniff" her then? If Lulu doesnt lick herself afterwards I probably imagined that my other dog did it or maybe it was the cat :lol: Thanks for you reply.
Love
Sandra x

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 08 Feb 2015, 15:26

Could you not trim her fur that's around her bits so that the wee does not get caught on it that might help.My dog as gland trouble and thays the worst smell ever,
ImageImage

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 08 Feb 2015, 15:42

We trim Scooby's fur. She is white and where she wees it can become a little stained
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Feb 2015, 16:33

If it's any comfort to you, Sandra, our new little lad can smell of wee... :roll: he does clean his little winkle afterwards (Ianto never did), but he also stands in the puddle he makes, and his paws stink! (And so does my fleece!) I dabbled his paws in the sink to clean him up... :D

The 'glands' in question are their anal glands. I didn't know about them either, until my old rescue doggy got to smell a bit (okay, massively) fishy/metallic... they're in their b*ms and not usually a problem. The vet can express them (so could I now, as he showed me but I ain't gonna be trying it any time soon... :? ) Believe me, if your doodle has anal gland 'issues', you'd notice!!

Your idea of giving Dolly a quick wash and brush up will help you to know what it is. Hope she's okay -
Anne & Ianto x

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 17:15

Trimming her fur is a good idea but I cant do it yet as she is still nipping a lot and I doubt she would keep still long enough, you should see me just trying to get her lead on ready for when she is allowed out,( cant wait for that ).
Anne glad Dolly is not the only one who smells less fragrant than desired :lol: I like the idea of puttting his little paws in water after he has stood in a bit of wee. I pray to God that Dolly doesnt have anal gland problems as I am gagging just thinking about it :mrgreen: No, the smell is not that bad.
Dexy's mum, what problems do the glands cause and is it curable?
I love this forum, everyone is so helpful. Thank you.
Off to run her bath now, wish me luck !!
Love
Sandra x

LucyDoods

Post by LucyDoods » 08 Feb 2015, 18:05

We have the same issue with our 11 week old Aussie food. She doesn't seem to clean herself, and her back legs get a bit sticky. We have taken to cleaning her up at night with a cloth and water but will consider having her trimmed.

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 19:30

Glad I am not the only one Lucydoods. The bath has solved it for now. How do you manage to clean your dood ? Does she not squirm and nip you ? Dolly does every time I brush her or clean her eyes etc !! Feel like I should tape her mouth up like a crocodile :lol:
How are you getting on with your little one ?
Love
Sandra x

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Feb 2015, 19:39

Trimming the girly bits will help. It might be a 2-man job at first though. One to distract her with a chew and one to do the grooming.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 08 Feb 2015, 23:26

We had to keep Florence quite trimmed on her spring onion area when she was tiny. She didn't ever clean herself but Fozzie was very good - he took care of her for us :shock:

Even now she will often stand over him when he is lying down so that he can clean her up - we call her a tart and a hussy but it doesn't change her behaviour And she shows no shame :lol:

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 23:49

Suebedo :lol: :lol: that is so funny. Nearly spat my tea out !! Spring onion, I love it,as for fozzie, he must be every girl doods dream :shock:
Love
Sandra x

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 23:55

Thanks Bid
We may be talking more than a 2 man job, she is a fiesty one for sure. My hands and arms look like they have been cut by a blind knife thrower !! Will give the trimming a go though.
Love
Sandra x