1st bath

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sandy B

1st bath

Post by Sandy B » 08 Feb 2015, 18:53

:shock: Oh my word ,I thought I bought a doodle seems that she is indeed a large rat 11 :lol: I never would have recognised her. The bath went quite well but the trying to brush her was a nightmare and I have lots of teeth marks to prove it. I have been trying to give her a 5 min brush every day but she hates . Seems doods hate the things that are good for them . She does look like a giant marshmallow now and the wee smell has gone . Lets hope the smell is just wee then.
Love
Sandra x

Doodle Dee

Re: 1st bath

Post by Doodle Dee » 08 Feb 2015, 18:55

have you tried a special treat when you are brushing her - saying good brush - sort of thing whatever would be good for you.

Lulu wasn't treat orientated (she is now) but I gave her an old brush to gnaw on she seemed happy with one going through her coat and one going through her teeth.!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 09 Feb 2015, 00:04

Doodledee, I gave her treats while brushing her. Holding the treat in my clenched fist long enough to give a few strokes of the brush before I gave it to her. I am worried that giving her treats every time she does good will end up her not doing anything I tell her unless she has a treat and I am worried she may become a little fat ! As it is she is "weeing " 6 or 7 times now when she goes out just to get a treat. Its very naughty ( but clever) . I have been making her go on the stones by my back door then looking and the stones are dry !!! Only the 1st one is an actual wee :lol:
Love
Sandra x

kathiedoodle

Post by kathiedoodle » 09 Feb 2015, 02:02

Hi Sandra
Cannot sleep so thought I'd see what's going on. Doing a late night like Anne. So Dolly shrunk in the wash, Holly looks like shorn lamb went wet, it's hard to think the bandy skinny legs hold her up! Like Dolly she hates grooming always has but I have to at least once a week otherwise her fleece coat mats, she's had 2 major shave ups because of it. I now sneakily groom her in the back of the car when we go out but she's got wise to it and now refuses to get in! So that rouse will have to stop, these doods have such knowing ways we have to get sneakier. So you will have to stop some rewards and I will have to stop tailgate grooming. I read a tip when Holly was little to groom her on the ironing board as you can raise or lower it to the height that is comfortable for you, also it helps with control, obviously I never left her or took my hands off her whilst on it. Unfortunately Holly soon outgrew the board and the folding picnic table was seconded into service. Must try to sleep now! As Holly who sleeps at the foot of the bed is giving huffy sighs as the TVs lighting the room !!
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 09 Feb 2015, 13:07

Having a chuckle! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doodle Dee wrote:I gave her an old brush to gnaw on
Dee, you forgot to tell everyone it was a loo brush!! :roll:
My Yorkie used to look like a cross between Bambi and a rat when I bathed her... :lol:

Ianto was an absolute unholy terror for biting, I was a mass of cuts and bruises for quite a few months, and my clothes were pretty tattered too! I'm trying a campaign of Zero Tolerance with Wyre - we'll see how it goes... :roll:

I would say that Dolly needs to learn how to accept grooming because I've stored up so much grief for myself with Ianto's coat... Can you use a toy to distract her? Or have someone help by holding/playing with her? I know they say you need to be firm but I found that a determined doodle puppy will happily self-destruct if you let them... :shock: Wyre has already tried to launch himself off my lap into thin air... thank goodness two years of Ianto has sharpened my reactions!! :lol: Perhaps try grooming when she is feeling tired and more relaxed?

You can take the treats out of their daily food allowance so that they're not getting any more food (see, we hooms can be sneaky too! :wink: ) The 'wee-ing' trick just goes to show how intelligent your dood is - I'm looking forward to hearing more about her antics... :D

Anne, Ianto & Wyre xx

LucyDoods

Post by LucyDoods » 09 Feb 2015, 18:32

Lucy does the squatting trick for treats with me too! Took us about 3 days to work it out :lol:

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 10 Feb 2015, 08:56

They are very clever indeed. I only give her 1 treat now however many "wee's" she does. Hoping she will get the message as quickly as she worked out how to get lots of treats.
How are you getting on with Lucy ?
Love
Sandra x