Sam & his crate...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Emmersonfamily

Sam & his crate...

Post by Emmersonfamily » 11 Feb 2015, 22:47

So Sam has been in a crate since day one and very quickly slept through and settled after just a minute or two of barking/crying.

The door is left open throughout the day but he avoids it completely and only happily goes in when he is given a raw chicken wing or something like that (I put him away for things like that as first time he dragged it all over house and I got worried about the raw meat with the kids and it was disgusting too!)

He is getting worse at going in for bedtime/when we are going out and I can't even lure him in with a treat, he runs off and keeps backing off, (tail wagging and not upset) I end up having to physically put him in and race to close the door before he bolts out. The crying hasn't stopped either, it is still a couple of minutes every time he goes in.

On an odd occasion I have put him in his crate while I have been in the house (answering door and getting shopping etc) he has barked the whole time or if I close him in the kitchen he scrabbles at the door or at the downstairs loo if I'm in there.

He happily jumps in the crate in the car without a treat or any barking/crying.

I'm hoping that someone can help or offer advise on what I should be teaching him as im worried it won't get better if I'm picking him up to put him in and reinforcing something negative. Thank you x

Ianto!

Re: Sam & his crate...

Post by Ianto! » 12 Feb 2015, 00:11

Hi,
From day one, I've fed the new pup in his pen - he's such a little piggy - he jumps in as soon as he realises it's meal time. Perhaps you could try feeding Sam in his crate to create positive associations...?
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 12 Feb 2015, 08:20

how is he not in the crate - does he behave, or jump on people or cry a lot if you are not around?
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Emmersonfamily

Post by Emmersonfamily » 12 Feb 2015, 09:09

Eating isn't going well either, he only eats about half of what the breeder recommended (for 3 weeks ago). I put it down he has a mouthful and walks off. I only leave down for half an hour in which time he might have had half. The vet has said he has gained weight but will go get him weighed again next week.

He is lovely, just potters round and sits at my feet while I cook etc. if we are upstairs he just lies at the bottom and has a nap. He doesn't jump up apart from odd occasion if its a visitor just arrived but we are really strict and never given him any attention unless four feet on the floor. He gets lots of time outside in our field and I spend 5 minutes 4-5 times a day trying to do some training. We also do two 20 minute walks. My son is with him a lot cuddling and they have become best buddies already.

x

Sharan

Post by Sharan » 12 Feb 2015, 11:27

I always planned to use the crate mostly for toilet training and keeping Rudy in it if we had to go out for a couple of hours.
He was not so keen on going in either and i felt like i was forcing him when all i wanted was for him to see it as a place he could chill out in.
I would always feed Rudy in the crate and any treat - even if someone else wanted to give it to him i would guide him to the crate and he could only have it in there.
Also if he fell asleep on my lap or on the lviing room floor i would gently pick him up, put him among the blankets and then sit by the crate until he drifted off again - and i always tried to make sure i opened the door before he woke up and started whining or barking. Eventually he began taking all his naps in the crate by himself.
Obviously there were times he had to go in when he wasn't tired but i felt by doing these things he settled a lot more quickly because the association with the crate was more positive than negative.
ImageImage

LucyDoods

Post by LucyDoods » 12 Feb 2015, 14:24

Lucy is not great with her crate either, she knows she has to sleep in it but won't volunteer to go in. We did try to feed her in it, but she isn't the tidiest of eaters and it was ending up everywhere so we stopped it. If I am going out I fill a kong with her favourite treats and she will go in and provided the filling is very tasty and she is fine.

However, we also have a pen for her in the kitchen that someone gave to us after we bought the crate and she goes in and out of this no problem whatsoever! It does have a roof, but we don't have that up, and she happily sits in this when we are eating / cooking etc.

Sorry not much advice, but you are definitely not alone in the crate thing. Does Sam like his chicken wings? I'm too scared to try.

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 12 Feb 2015, 15:15

What age is your dog could you try a bed by the crate and leave it open,he or she might be growing out of it ,iv never used one myself but my daughter did ,if he or she doesn't do any damage I would try not and use a bed and see how it goes.
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 12 Feb 2015, 17:40

It sounds like a case of 'Don't Fence Me In...'!! :) Has anything happened to put the little lad off his crate, do you think? He picked up the no messing in it overnight, maybe he's worried that he won't be able to get out to wee if he needs to...?

Do you have room for a play pen in the kitchen? I used one for Ianto instead of a crate and he was happy to go into it, whereas he wasn't so pleased with the crate which was in the front room - for when I had to collapse, exhausted, onto the sofa! :roll:
Wyre has an eight-sided playpen, which we've divided into two sets of four, and gets popped in one if we need to leave him (or if Ianto needs a rest! :lol: )

I found that Ianto was getting very clingy when he was a pup, so used to make sure I put him in his pen and left him alone, whilst I was in another room building up the time until I could actually leave the house and know that he would settle. (I was too soft with him when he was very little... :oops: )

If the vet says that Sam is putting on weight I wouldn't worry too much... he's perhaps more of a Poodle than a Lab. Iant started not wanting his breakfast very early on. And they soon work out that they can get tastier stuff if you start putting 'toppers' on their food to tempt them! Does he get many treats? Perhaps he's filling up on those?

It sounds as if you're doing really well with Sam, and he's a very lucky lad to have his own child to play with!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 12 Feb 2015, 22:53

Harley doesnt go anywhere near his crate during the day, to sleep or eat in, but goes in happily at night time to sleep.

He has also started to not eat all of his food that I put down, only perhaps eating half of what I give him.
ImageImage