Help - Lucy has swallowed a chicken wing - whole

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
LucyDoods

Help - Lucy has swallowed a chicken wing - whole

Post by LucyDoods » 16 Feb 2015, 16:54

Lucy is only 12 weeks old and we have just given her her first raw chicken wing. She has swallowed it whole, appear to be fine, but should I be worried??

Coco and Annie

Re: Help - Lucy has swallowed a chicken wing - whole

Post by Coco and Annie » 16 Feb 2015, 17:03

Hello there

I'm sorry I don't really know about chicken wings, but what I do know is that if there is a potential blockage, you only have up to 2 hours when the vet can administer something to make your pup sick it up. Any longer and the item will have moved too far down and would require surgery to remove. Why don't you call your vet for advice?

Coco, Yoshi and Annie X

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 16 Feb 2015, 17:09

I was just about to say the same , phone the vet for advise, mine were very helpful when Dexter was little. H and D

LucyDoods

Post by LucyDoods » 16 Feb 2015, 17:18

Thank you. On the phone now :(

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 16 Feb 2015, 18:59

If she seems fine it may not be a disaster- her stomach acid can dissolve bone. If she's not choking on it I am sure she"ll be fine but ring the vets to reassure yourself. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

LucyDoods

Post by LucyDoods » 16 Feb 2015, 19:20

Thank you.

I spoke with the vet, they advised to keep an eye on her as giving her something to be sick could do more damage. Any signs of discomfort then I should take her in.

She seems absolutely fine, just me pacing the room with worry :(

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 16 Feb 2015, 19:20

Agree with Suzi,
she will likely be fine as it can digest. She may sick it up and eat it after that more slowly any way.
I found presenting the wing with the lets call it elbow joint facing you means it cant close easily and be swallowed whole as they take it from you.
Gave me a fright too the first time.! :roll: dogs!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 17 Feb 2015, 00:07

I took my wee daughter to A&E once, as I thought she'd swallowed a chop bone.... :shock: The doctor was a little off-hand and just said, "If it went down, it'll come out..."
Hope she's doing okay - I'd planned to try Wyre on one soon, so will be super-watchful for this...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Feb 2015, 00:51

Hopefully she will digest it with no problems. Next time you try one, hold onto one end so she has to crunch it rather than swallow it whole. Mine get a duck wing most days (because Daisy is allergic to chicken), and because it is in their bowl with the rest of the food they seem to just think of it as food rather than something special. Maybe Lucy will come to think that way once the novelty wears off.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 17 Feb 2015, 17:10

At first I thought chicken wings were a great treat for Paddy but then he just wolfed them down without it touching the sides and then he would vomit it back up with some extra bits. It was a bit like his party trick :lol:
ImageImage

LucyDoods

Post by LucyDoods » 17 Feb 2015, 18:15

Lucy seems fine and completely unfazed by her chicken wing incident yesterday. She has a bit of a runny bottom but she is like that anyway.

We will try her again next week with one and do it properly this time, with pliers or something. I was holding one part of it, but she was too quick, and took off with it then when my partner tried to get it from her, woooosh, it was gone :shock:

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Feb 2015, 18:41

Another thing you can do is bash it about with a rolling pin so that the bones are broken, then if she does it again the bones will not be big enough to cause a blockage.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 17 Feb 2015, 23:18

Deffo don't try take it off her ,esp when it is so novel,as any self respecting doodle ,even dog :wink: would try swallow it whole. Freshmeat /bones are very high value.
Btw runny bum is not the norm, could be nothing more than over feeding . At such young age i would not leave a funny bum for too long without a check/phone call with the vets.