Dolly in season for the 1st time.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sandy B

Dolly in season for the 1st time.

Post by Sandy B » 20 Sep 2015, 09:16

Hello everyone. Am hoping for some advise from more experienced female dog owners please. Dolly started bleeding about 6 days ago,not heavy at first but now she is dripping everywhere. I feel bad that she is confined to home as taking her out to the field is not possible but what I was wondering was when can I take her out again?When will she not be fertile and not attract male dogs ? I have to admit its a lot messier than I imagined as she is not keeping herself clean so I am trying to keep her in the kitchen where its easier to clean. I have covered my sofas in the front room with blankets so she can still sleep there when I am in the room. I will be getting her spayed as soon as possible as I dont really want her to have puppies so when would the vet be able to do that ? I am off to New York in a couple of weeks and she is going into a doggy hotel for 5 days so dont really want her to be done until I get back so I can look after her till she is better. Is it a long recovery time ? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to do right by my baby. She is nearly 10 months now and I just feel so bad that she cant go for a walk she must be bored out of her mind !! Thank you in advance.
Love
Sandra and Dolly xx

Bid

Re: Dolly in season for the 1st time.

Post by Bid » 21 Sep 2015, 21:30

It is usually about 3 weeks - when the vulva returns to normal size. You then need to give her a bath so she loses the extra-attractive scent. There is a danger zone re getting pregnant, but she will be attracting males for the whole 3 weeks.

You can book her in to be spayed 3 months after the start of her season - that is the safest time.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 22 Sep 2015, 01:17

I'm not an expert on bitches, Sandra as I've only ever had the one (a Yorkie) - I don't know if you know about them already, but you can now get special pants for Dolly...
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... es-on-heat
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 22 Sep 2015, 09:08

Thanks Bid and Anne for your relies,its much appreciated. I heard about the pants , might just give them a look. As I said I am going to New York on 8th October and Dolly is booked into the kennels. I picked this particular one as they are in the countryside and have a huge paddock where the dogs are allowed to run free together so does this mean Dolly wont be able to if there are any intact males? She has been bleeding for 8 days now so I am thinking she still will be in the danger zone for pregnancy when she goes to the kennels. That will be horrible for her if she can run with the other dogs. Already feel bad for leaving her for 5 nights ,how will she know I am coming back for her ???
Love
Sandra & Dolly xx

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 22 Sep 2015, 15:27

Hi,never mind running free and assuming dogs get on.Do check with your kennels that they will take her in season. Don't mean to put a downer but wouldn't wish you to get there, en route NYC ,to discover they won't accept her. Could easily be they are usdd to taking in seaso dogs.

Tip:When you leave her don't look back and don't stare into her eyes- you will dissolve :wink: Have fun in New York!

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 22 Sep 2015, 22:05

Thanks Pollydoodle, never thought about them not accepting her. Its another 2 weeks before she goes so with the 9 days she has already been bleeding I am hoping she will have finished ? I wont look back at her as I know I will cry.
Love
Sandra& Dolly xx

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 23 Sep 2015, 00:24

My lad walks away and doesn't look back when he goes into kennels, Sandra! :wink: It's us that worry... as long as you trust the people who are going to be looking after Dolly she'll be fine.
(I'd definitely check with them to see if they are still able to accept her though.)
Hope you're able to make your New York holiday - don't feel guilty about leaving her, just think of the welcome you'll get when you return!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 24 Sep 2015, 10:18

Will do Anne. Wont be easy but the kennels market themselves as a doggy hotel and offer extra walks , attention etc. They have great reviews so I keep telling myself Dolly will have a better time than me !!!
Love
Sandra & Dolly xx