Rivalry in the ranks

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Research

Rivalry in the ranks

Post by Research » 22 Sep 2015, 16:35

Hello, Hope someone can give me some advice. We brought home our new labradoodle pup home yesterday and she is doing really well, eating, sleeping and doesn't seem to be missing her mates. Problem is our other dog , Megan 5year old springer is not willing to make friends at the moment. There has been a bit of growling when puppy tries to get too friendly. Never had two dogs before so don't know if this is normal. Am I expecting too much too soon- will it pass? My daughter's dog regularly spends time with us but she has been on the scene for 4 years now, never had any problems. Perhaps because Megan was only quite young herself and more adaptable. Do hope I haven't made a mistake, I did so want them to be friends. Any advice would be welcome.

dexysback

Re: Rivalry in the ranks

Post by dexysback » 22 Sep 2015, 20:01

I hope they become friends in time ,but I have done this twice with past dogs and two of them would not take to another dog ,the one ended in a bad fight so had to rehome young dog cause my 9 year old would not take to him. Plus I had a very young pup with other 7 year old and he kept snapping. But they have got to get used to each other and with time it might work out ,I think it depends on the temperament of your other dog. Dexter is five and he will have my sisters dog come to visit ,but I know he would never live with one cause of he's jealous nature ,he snaps at cat.
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 22 Sep 2015, 23:49

Hi there -congratulations on our new puppy :D

My advice would be to make sure that Megan has somewhere she can go when she has had enough of the pup. As long as she has her getaway place then she should be able to cope with the pup. There will be quite a lot of telling off when the pup gets over-bitey, and that is OK - it's how they learn.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 23 Sep 2015, 00:46

Hello, congratulations on the new pup! It's early days yet - you've had time to get used to the idea of another dog, but I guess it's come as a bit of a surprise to Megan... Our Ianto put up with our new pup, but you could see he was waiting for it to go home again! They've settled down now. We made sure that the little one had a couple of bolt holes he could use that Ianto couldn't get in, and gave Iant somewhere to go that the puppy couldn't follow him. Just make sure that you supervise them at first when they are together and hopefully they'll soon be the best of friends.
Um, any chance of a few puppy pics...?? :oops: :oops:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Research

Post by Research » 23 Sep 2015, 10:17

Thanks to you all, some sound advice to be had there. I think I feel sorry for the pup and annoyed with Megan for not being more friendly. Husband just gone to Pets at Home to get crate! Will let you know how we progress. Picture will follow, just as soon as I work out how to do it. Might have to ask one of the grandchildren!