Afraid Of The Rain

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Lawsyd

Afraid Of The Rain

Post by Lawsyd » 07 Oct 2015, 07:47

Anybody else (particularly among the puppy owners) got a doodle who hates the rain & who will refuse to go out in it, even for a toilet break?

I do wish that ours would realise that rain is an occupational hazard living in the Manchester area. 8)

But, on a serious note, is it just a 'puppy thing'?

Noglet

Re: Afraid Of The Rain

Post by Noglet » 07 Oct 2015, 10:15

I hate to disappoint you, but it may not just be a puppy stage thing!

We've two doodles, Stan is 5 and will sit out in the pouring rain for as long as you'll let him. George, who is 3, will look out of the door and then give you a look that says "but it's wet!" before having to be dragged out for a walk!

jonb

Post by jonb » 07 Oct 2015, 10:23

Roker is firmly in the doesnt mind getting wet camp....in fact i swear he prefers the rain and mud to it being dry! Not sure if its down to him being a "winter pup" as such in that we got him in December 2013 so i spent most of the next couple of months in the garden in all weather getting him house trained so he was used to it!

We were out yesterday evening and it chucked it down for the 90mins we were out, in fact my coat and boots still arent dry this morning, and he had the time of his life and refused to go back on his lead when we got to the gate back out of the field towards home as he wanted to carry on playing!!

And dont get me started on what he is like when its snowing!! If he's not chasing snow flakes catching them out of the air he's rolling around in it on the floor!

kobi&jazz

Post by kobi&jazz » 07 Oct 2015, 10:45

This post made me smile --- living in Manchester too.
I have Kobi & Jazz both now nearly years old and where Jazz will run and play in the rain like a loony, Kobi will stand firmly at the door and only in desperation will he venture out for a wee then straight back in :lol: :lol:

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 07 Oct 2015, 19:59

Scooby is 22 months and she does not like the rain, not even for a comfort break!
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Oct 2015, 20:28

Mine don't seem to notice the rain! They are in the carry on regardless team!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

stout

Post by stout » 07 Oct 2015, 20:40

Stout stands outside in the rain for ages :roll:

We had a collie chow cross when I was young, he hated water of any description. He would only go out in the rain if he was desperate. He would walk right next to the wall of the house, run to the nearest patch of lawn, then run back in as fast as he could :lol: in some ways it was a lot easier having a dog who didn't like water, in other ways not so much!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 07 Oct 2015, 21:37

Harley loves the rain, will sit out in the garden in it, not phased at all.
ImageImage

Lawsyd

Post by Lawsyd » 07 Oct 2015, 21:50

Oh, you lucky people, whose doodles love the rain. Sooty was so adamant that she wouldn't go out in the early morning monsoon that she soiled one of her downstairs rugs (first time in about two weeks, so forgivable - just), however she did go out a couple of times later in varying degrees of drizzle.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 08 Oct 2015, 07:40

hmmmmmm.....

I wonder did you go out in the rain with him?

"Do unto others as you would do to yourself"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I can laugh lulu doesn't care either way - rain or not
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Lawsyd

Post by Lawsyd » 08 Oct 2015, 11:00

Doodle Dee wrote:hmmmmmm.....

I wonder did you go out in the rain with him?

"Do unto others as you would do to yourself"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I can laugh lulu doesn't care either way - rain or not
I sure did. :D Stood out in the rain, whilst wearing a pair of shorts & trying to 'balance' an umbrella, a torch (it was about 5-30 a.m.) & every-ready poo bag isn't easy - particularly when you have a doodle pup thinking 'my human might be daft enough to go out in this, but I'm heading back into the dry & warmth of the kitchen' isn't easy you know. :wink:

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Oct 2015, 21:47

I have two doods who beg to be let out - but who then sit at the conservatory door waiting for me to make the rain stop.... :wink:
Ianto will sit there, waiting for 'The Door Into Summer'... but he will go out if necessary, and has been known to sit out in it, getting steadily wetter (or snowier), before deigning to come back in and wiping himself on my trousers, the rug, or the sofa...
Wyre, however, absolutely refuses to venture out in precipitation... when I get desperate for him to 'go', I have to suit him up and walk him up the road - for some reason, the rain outside the garden is 'different' to the rain that falls inside it.... (h'mmm, I'm beginning to suspect that puppy ain't as dumb as he looks... :? ) :lol:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 08 Oct 2015, 21:50

Have fun with that one.
Toilet breaks we can forget it in this house, not going out yet suggest to go for a walk in the rain ahhh completely different story! :roll:

Edit : did not see your post Anne beforehand

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Oct 2015, 23:31

Just goes to show it's a doodle conspiracy, Pollydoodle! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

olly

Post by olly » 09 Oct 2015, 11:31

I have two 6 month old doodles who refuse to go out in the rain. They look out of the open door and then turn round and try to wee on the kitchen floor. I have now learnt to attach their leads and drag them out for a wee. It is surprising that the act is 10 times as quick on a wet day as on a dry day!
Echo doesn't really like water at all, but Whisper loves to play in the water in the paddling pool, I have given up trying to fathom the working of a doodle mind.