Any training tips to stop my large labradoodle jumping up!?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Katis07

Any training tips to stop my large labradoodle jumping up!?

Post by Katis07 » 22 Jan 2016, 23:09

I have a very sweet and chilled 2 ½ year large (takes after his poodle daddy!) labradoodle!

The only problem we have with him is when he get's really excited (like going for a walk, seeing certain people who visit who he loves etc...) he jumps up!

We've tried turning around, ignoring him until he stops, then praise him/give attention when he stops, but that hasn't really work.

Has anyone had this problem before, can anyone offer any advice on how to stop it?

Pollydoodle

Re: Any training tips to stop my large labradoodle jumping u

Post by Pollydoodle » 23 Jan 2016, 00:58

Oh ho ho you are so not alone! :D :roll: probably one of the most common issues we all experience.
Re jumping up when getting ready for a walk. I'd factor in 10 or 15 mins in advance of when you think you want to go out and then get ready. The hardest thing is really stand still do nothing no telling off, or huff and puff sit ,sit sit etc just stand still and let them fathom it out. It's tough to do, to have the inclination or patience as we are all,in a rush most days but it does work. It's likely he will eventually sit and as u go to put the lead on he will start all over again, you will feel exasperated but do goback to being the proverbial statue.This has worked with a few dogs for me.

Good luck, be in the right frame of mind and perserve....it is worth it. 8)

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Jan 2016, 12:26

I always find that it is really hard to stop a dog doing something, and much easier to tell them what you DO want them to do, so when greeting someone or getting ready for a walk, ask for a sit, and reward that - they can't jump up when sitting. Start by rewarding the sit, then ask for a wait or stay and reward that - making the time before rewarding longer each time until eventually the sight of someone, or the promiso e of a walk becomes the cue to sit and wait.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 23 Jan 2016, 17:38

when she is going out - i can deal with it is other people she chooses to jump on is my problem. Yes chooses (especially those that put their hands in the pockets) I never know who she will ignore or who she will jump up at on our walks :shock:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Katis07

Post by Katis07 » 24 Jan 2016, 10:32

Thanks all for your replies and advice! Good to know its not just our Snowy! Will keep on tackling it...will get there in the end! :)

I definitely like the positive affirmation, telling what to do rather than the 'don't'...just like dealing with kids! Lol!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 25 Jan 2016, 00:09

One tip I was given (although ours is a medium - it may not work so well with a standard) was to stand on his lead. If we were out on a walk and met someone, it was a case of getting my foot on the lead before he could start bouncing... You need a slightly longer lead, something like the Halti training lead, but it worked well for our lad.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

harleyboy53

Post by harleyboy53 » 25 Jan 2016, 08:26

so glad you are here to tell us these things Ianto.....

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 25 Jan 2016, 22:12

You're welcome harleyboy! :lol:

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x