Skinny doodle. Average weight for 22" doodle?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jk746

Skinny doodle. Average weight for 22" doodle?

Post by Jk746 » 08 Mar 2016, 22:32

Wilson is 11 months, 22" to shoulder but only 16.1kg after loosing 1kg in the last 2weeks.
We saw the vet 2 weeks ago who said he was skinny but he wasn't worried... Obviously he's since lost another kg.

He has plenty of energy, poo is ok after a change in amount of food 2 weeks ago (before this he was having diarrhoea)

Vet couldn't give me an idea of how much he should weigh, just wondering if there are any similar sized labradoodles on here to give me an idea
Thank you

Ianto!

Re: Skinny doodle. Average weight for 22" doodle?

Post by Ianto! » 09 Mar 2016, 02:08

I think it may depend on the build of your doodle - a more 'poodley' dood would tend to be lighter than a more 'labrador-y' one.
Our Iant is poodle-coated but a little chunkier in build like a Lab... He is 20/21" and last weighed in at 17kg, which was a little over as he has to maintain a lighter weight due to his HD.
Our (miniature) pup is just over 12 months and very 'skinny' (extremely poodley and lithe). The vet assured me that he is fine and that it's just that people are used to seeing overweight dogs nowadays. If you can feel his ribs, but not every knobble of his backbone, he should be okay.
Hopefully, other members with doods more the same height as yours will be able to reassure you.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 09 Mar 2016, 11:41

Our Dude lost about a kg when we changed his food last year. The new food is grain free and you actually give less which has resulted in nice firm poo!
I was worried because he lost weight( over a kg)He will be 3 in June, is 26ins at shoulder and now weighs around 25kg. He's a poodly doodle
I can feel ribs and backbone. Our vet says "He's a lovely slim young dog" I think vets much prefer dogs to be healthily slim.
Anny and Dude.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Mar 2016, 11:48

Lola is 6kg and 14 inches - the way to tell if they are thin enough is to put your hand flat and feel across your knuckles - their bones should feel like that under the skin - if you clench your hand into a fist and feel across your knuckles - that would be too thin. If you can't feel the bones much they are too fat!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Jk746

Post by Jk746 » 09 Mar 2016, 13:49

Thank you for your replies. I can feel his backbone all the way and his hips are really protruding. The vets didn't seem concerned and thought he would chunk up a bit now as he doesn't seem to be getting taller anymore.

We changed him to Eden grain free in January, he was having very loose poo- Eden said to stop feeding the puppy amount of food and start on adult portions- his poo is now much better but he's lost 1kg. His bones definitely feel like a clenched fist Liz

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Mar 2016, 15:16

All dogs are different and some require more food as they have differing metabolic rates and amounts of exercise. What is on the bag is just a guide - give a little more each meal, i would!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 09 Mar 2016, 16:19

My Yoshi, who is and Australian Labradoodle - so poodley frame with a deeper chest weighs in at 18.3 kg and stands about 20/21" tall. He's the perfect weight according to the vet. You can easily feel his ribs and he has a proper waist.

He is now on Eden too.
X

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 04 Apr 2016, 23:19

Austin is 23" to the shoulder and weighs 25.5 kilos
He's just about right now
You can feel his ribs and spine with light pressure

Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Apr 2016, 00:20

My Poppy is 21" and fluctuates between 16 and 17kg. She is slender but not underweight. She is also not bothered about food and only eats what she needs.

If you are worried feed a little more, but if it ends up with loose poo it is too much.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron