What's in a name?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
We5Kings

What's in a name?

Post by We5Kings » 11 Mar 2016, 14:07

At the weekend we were in Brighton, visiting my Mum in her care home, and we got talking about naming dogs.
Mum has had many in her long life and said something I found interesting. "When you first get a pup you often don't know it's name, so you start by calling it "Boy" for example. Then the name reveals itself to you!"
This lead me to wonder how people on here chose the names of their doodles? ( apologies if this has been done before)
Our Dude is named after Jeff Bridges character The Dude in The Big Lebowski. Mainly because he's pretty chilled and a big old hippy at heart!
Anny and Dude :D

Coco and Annie

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Coco and Annie » 11 Mar 2016, 14:54

Interesting thread.....

We're a bit boring.....

Coco - cos of her colour (not the fashion designer like my-mother-in-law thought!)

Yoshi - cos my boys are Super Mario Bros fans. It also means 'good fortune' in Japanese so I thought it was apt.

X

stout

Post by stout » 11 Mar 2016, 15:21

Stout's dad is called Murphy - which we thought is a cool name, being beer related and all. Chris said he couldn't bring himself to shout 'Guinness' in the park, so we thought beer styles, black dog, Stout.

We then got stuck for beer names (we got Stout two months before the brewery started), so we decided to call the stout after Stout, and Doodle Stout was born! Beer names are surprisingly difficult to come up with!

I served a man in the brewery the other day who breeds Manchester Terriers - his dogs are named after beers - in his latest litter there is a Space Hoppy Diamond - named after our IPA!

Carrying on the name thing, our parakeets are called Fuggles, Bramling, Topaz and Minstrel (we lost Goldings last year) - all types of hops. Our parrot is called Dylan, after the magic roundabout rabbit - he is a laid back little chappy - he is 17 so before the beer theme started! The bees are all called Brenda (the queens are Betty of course!)- Chris wouldn't let me call them Barry, as apparently they are all girls!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Noglet

Post by Noglet » 11 Mar 2016, 16:57

Well, George got called George because a friend looked at him and decided that he looked like a George, and it stuck!

Stan had to be Stan because at the time we had Ollie (apologies to anyone under 40, you may not get that one!).

And Ollie, well, he was named after Oliver Cromwell because we'd watched the 'Greatest Britton' program the night before we got him, and the name popped into our heads!

The chickens by the way are Nugget, Clara (after my great grandmother) and Atilla the Hen (Tilly for short). Previous chickens were Ginger, Fudge, Sage, Onion, Rapunzel and Eugene (the last two named by our god-daughter!).

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 11 Mar 2016, 17:50

Lulu was named for my dad who had died a year before!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 11 Mar 2016, 18:16

Oh wow! I'm so glad I started this topic! Some fantastic names and great reasons for choosing them!
We had a Henry,a tiny fierce Cairn,(named for Clement Freuds dog food advert). A CockerSpaniel named PeterMay, by my Dad, for a cricketing hero :roll: A golden Spaniel called Chummy( very 1960s) No end of mongrels: Nimmy, Ruffy, Tootsie( yes, after Dustin Hoffman in drag!)And a parrot called SmokeyJoe who was an evil dog hater! :shock:
In the 90s our children had goldfish Andrew and Pearl! Guinea pigs Margaret and Peter( plus babies!)
Can't imagine life without pets! :D Anny

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 11 Mar 2016, 20:33

I had just lost my 10 year old yorki named chester ,and after only three weeks went to see dexter ,i wanted to name him after chester so i thought dexter was close enough.MY dog before him was name buster ,so all similar sounding.Someone asked me if i had named him after the killer dexter on tv.
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 Mar 2016, 22:37

Previous dogs had biblical names - Benjamin, Samuel, Hezekiah, Barnabus ... so Daisy was just a frivolous name. Poppy was chosen as it was a flower, but of course we couldn't continue that theme when we got a boy! We were sitting in the pub thinking Scrumpy, Murphy, Guinness , when Pete suddenly came up with Beamish, and I liked it, especially with the Jabberwocky link. I was trying to come up with a name for him to go on the activity register, and have decided on "Beamish Stout by Nature"!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 12 Mar 2016, 13:21

Yoshi is a fortune cookie
Stout's a fulsome glass of ale
Coco is a bar of chocolate
(Not a jacket by Chanel!)
Stan and Ollie, slapstick masters
George is George because he is
Lulu for a dear beloved
Beamish boy could win a quiz!
Dexter's not a serial killer
just a lovely gentle giant
Daisy fresh and Poppy glowing
each a very special plant
Naming doodles is our pleasure
Each one bonded to our heart
No one could replace this treasure
Doodles are a work of art.
Anny. X

jonb

Post by jonb » 14 Mar 2016, 09:58

Roker was named before we even got to pick him really....i was allowed to get a dog on the basis my wife got to call him Roker! She is a Sunderland fan and he's named after their old ground Roker Park. I didnt really argue as i actually didnt mind the name.

In fact when he has been naughty and she is telling him off the full Sunday name of Roker Park comes out for use!! :lol:

justinwest

Post by justinwest » 14 Mar 2016, 20:35

Haven't been on here in a couple years but if any of you remember
THE CHRONICLES OF FRED WEST. That's meeeeee!

we started off with Freddy West and have just recently added to our family with Rosey West who's a Miniature Labradoodle and is now 9 months old!

Why name them this?
Why not!!
Justin
]Image
Freddy West - as much trouble as his namesake (almost!)

Bren

Post by Bren » 14 Mar 2016, 20:55

When we went to see Ziggy he was going to be called Yogi but as soon as we saw him at 12 weeks old black as coal with silver streaks he was defenatley a star so Ziggy it was. :lol:

[URL=http://s747.photobucket.com/user/Bee111 ... f.jpg.html]Image[/URL

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 14 Mar 2016, 21:42

Love it Anny!
X

o4d

Post by o4d » 15 Mar 2016, 09:15

Harvey because he does a look which looks like Harvey Spectre off suits! Also for Harvard University

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 15 Mar 2016, 09:52

Poppy joined us after the loss of my father in law who I called Pops and she was a beautiful reddy colour so hence Poppy. The boys also liked it because they thought of Grandpops in heaven sitting there says cheeky mare nameing a dog after me!
ImageImage