First time off lead

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
KatyM

First time off lead

Post by KatyM » 10 Apr 2016, 09:17

I met up with some friends and their dogs yesterday. I had Winnie on her long lead but it was just getting in the way as she was trying to greet and play with the other dogs. My friend said to take her lead off, something I have been desperate to do but not had the confidence. We were walking around a reservoir with the road blocked off by a stone wall, so I went for it!! :shock:
It was brilliant!! Winnie ran and played with the other dogs and kept coming back to me to check I was still there. I know it sounds like a small think to you experienced dog owners but having never owned a dog before and dreading the idea of loosing her, it feels like an absolute triumph!! :lol: :D

Bid

Re: First time off lead

Post by Bid » 10 Apr 2016, 09:33

Brilliant! Welcome to the world of fun dog walks and tired puppies!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 10 Apr 2016, 10:27

Great to hear! This is what it's all about :D There's nothing more joyful than seeing a dog off lead and the surge of pride you feel when they come back ,to check you're still there, is second to none. Anny

Bren

Post by Bren » 10 Apr 2016, 20:48

Well done from us too. You are a clever lady.
Ziggy & Bowie :D :D

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 11 Apr 2016, 13:02

Brilliant and top marks for giving it ago.

Don't think anyone ever loses the thrill of having their dog come back to them when called! :D
Always be happy they come back even if you feel sometime you would like to throttle the (those moments happen too ) :roll: 8)

jonb

Post by jonb » 11 Apr 2016, 13:59

Remember letting Roker off the lead for the first time well....similar to you we were with friends who had their dog at a reservoir where it was pretty safe for him. If you are anything like us now you have the confidence it makes a massive difference to how you can walk them. Where possible now Roker will be off the lead and will wander along with us happy as larry and it just makes it all a much better experience. Sometimes he leads the way and every so often he will find something to sniff and then realise we havent stopped so trots along to catch back up. Not sure if others are the same but i now walk looking about 50/100yds up the path for any potential issues so you can react quicker than they can just in case!!

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 15 Apr 2016, 22:33

I took Winnie on a walk on my own today and decided to take her off lead again. She was great! We had an explore through some woodland near to where I live. She ran ahead and then back to me. I made a big fuss every time she came back in preperation for the time it would include putting her back on the lead!! I thought I was being clever!! But oh no, she somehow sensed when I was planning to put her lead back on and kept running past me barking!! :lol: How did she know??? I offered her some treats which she managed to grab out of my hand and then dart away before I could get her back on the lead. She was having a great time. In the end I gave up trying and she just came back and sat, tired out!! What a stinker! I made a big fuss of her when she did let me put the lead back on. I think a bit of work on recall might be in order!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Apr 2016, 22:40

Yeah - they get like that - monkeys! You could try putting her on her lead for a few seconds then letting her off again a few times on the walk.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 16 Apr 2016, 03:17

WInnie is doing great. Well done. Try not to let your nervousness get the better of you I know it's hard. ALso try and save some really special treats when she comes back on her own. A really special Award. I did that with Lulu and she never know what she is getting now. I like to keep her on her toes (and me). Sometimes we forget to reinforce what we teach our dogs

Also I was told by a police trainer that after calling three times, if the dog is ignoring you it becomes 'white noise' to them and they are not going to listen. Also, very difficult when your excited, don't say good dog before they are by your feet (so you can get them on the lead). They know good dog usually means a treat.

It s brilliant when they learn something. Lulu is nearly 4 and I reckon she would be so clever if only I knew how to train her properly. She needs a clever owner Anyone want a human div?
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 16 Apr 2016, 16:59

Have a look at Rupert Sheldrakes book " Dogs that know when there owners are coming home" Fascinating. I have kept a chart of when Dude starts "active waiting" for other family members who, in turn have noted the time when they leave their desks. It's uncanny. This is why dogs know when we have decided the walk/ ball game is over. It's a form of telepathy called Morphic resonance. I'm not one for hippy dippy rubbish,Rupert Sheldrake is an eminent biologist. Really worth reading this book. Anny

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 18 Apr 2016, 22:30

Ianto used to see the field gate and think, Oh-oh!! :?
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

jonb

Post by jonb » 19 Apr 2016, 09:07

Ianto! wrote:Ianto used to see the field gate and think, Oh-oh!! :?
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x
This is what Roker still does now and then....he has sussed the end point of his freedom off the lead on the various walks we tend to do and every so often he legs it to the other side of the field or starts running around. Even worse when we are away like this weekend when he spots the end of the beach so basically runs off to stand in the sea knowing i cant go in to get him!! :roll:

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 19 Apr 2016, 11:31

Dexter has been known to sit in a river with his ball and will not come out with it. He reckons we will have to go back and get it. sigh. Have left a few balls behind that way, especially when it is raining and my boots are sticking into the mud!! H and D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 20 Apr 2016, 00:45

I feel so much better now....! :roll:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 20 Apr 2016, 03:32

Yep Lulu has now decided it is summer and she is getting hot. First time this year she stood in the water and just looked at me when I called her as if to say "hmm is it worth coming out this wonderful stagnation water, is there something in it for me". Yes also that horrid bouncing ball game that they live in the water
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage