Sleepiness and nipping

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Doodle Dee

Sleepiness and nipping

Post by Doodle Dee » 11 Apr 2016, 10:43

Hi. I have been reading with interest about the nipping of young pups. More interest now I am visiting my daughter abroad who has just got a 6 week puppy boxer. By the time I arrived he was 9 weeks. And boy did he nip and growl!! I saw he was worse when he was tired. He hadn't any sort of routine. Anyway to cut a long story short we made sure he slept a lot more than he wa and the nipping stopped. we realised it was only when he was tired that he was so awful. My daughter through she had bought a monster. There are not young children in the house but a 15 year old and my daughter and her husband who loved this pup asa baby

Pup0ies need around 18-19 hours sleep on average and I know if there are young children in the house it is hard for them not to play with the delightful pup but I suppose I am saying that perhaps. All new human mums can try and bear this in mind and life may get easier.

I am writing this as I have seen it with my own eyes. How the pup actually changes Into a demon pup when he is tired

Just saying !!!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

KatyM

Re: Sleepiness and nipping

Post by KatyM » 12 Apr 2016, 10:42

You are so right!!

Winnie is so much better when she is well rested. She is in a firm routine now to allow her lots of rest time and away from the boistress hands of children. :D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 18 Apr 2016, 22:41

Could you not have posted this in 2012, Dee??? :wink: :lol: :lol:
You're right though, our Iant was an absolute terror, especially in the evening and I had no idea it was because he was over-tired. The new puppy had loads of naps built into his routine, and no shredded clothes, skin or nerves!! :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 19 Apr 2016, 07:36

Sorry Anne. I didn't realise what a major problem this was until I saw this pup

Lulu of course was a perfect pup (if you believe that you will believe anything - is there a perfect pup - a new thread perhaps) :) :lol: :lol:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Apr 2016, 07:50

It's the too tired tantrum! Daisy was a devil for it, and even given the opportunity to sleep she would try to stay away until she couldn't keep her eyes open any longer. Most pups put in a crate or pen with something to chew will settle and go to sleep, but there are always the exceptions!

Your daughters pup is likely to have a fewextra nipping issue though, as leaving Mum at that early age he will have missed out on some play lessons from his siblings, and Mum would have had a few things to say about the nipping too had he stayed for the full 8 weeks.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 20 Apr 2016, 00:43

No probs, Dee!! :wink: We got our Iant at 7 weeks, and in hindsight I would agree with Bid, he needed that extra time with his mom (and grandma) to put him right... Plus, he needed me to know that he should have had lots more naps times - all new dood puppy families should be pointed in the direction of this forum!!! :D Would that I had known about it.... :oops:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 20 Apr 2016, 03:29

Unusually enough a thread when all is agreed. It seems the younger the pup is the more prevalent the nipping is. My daughters pup is getting better now he is getting into some sort of routine and not allowed to get away with everything he wants to. I tried to show a photo of him as an honoury dood, but photo bucket is not working for me on my iPad
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage