What time in the morning?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
dog tired

What time in the morning?

Post by dog tired » 08 May 2016, 16:22

We have just (6 weeks ago), bought a rescue Labradoodle, that is gorgeous. He is 16months. He was never walked and he lived with a family with lots of children. He now loves dogs and he has been very excited when walking outside and meeting dogs in the park. We are working at recall and he is now coming back if there are not too many dogs around. He gets 3 longish walks per day and is off the lead.
He sleeps downstairs in our kitchen that is very light and sunny in the morning.
He settles well (we had endless sleepless nights sorting that!)

What can I do to sort out the early morning wake up barking? This morning it was 4.20am- before it was light.
We live in London with close neighbours, so I can't leave him.
Is it too late to try a cage? Are there cages big enough for a large labradoodle?
We are training him (really me and my husband are being trained), at classes as he is very quick to pick up new tasks- sit / drop / down etc. We will be doing 'heel' next week.

Please help with your ideas as we are desperate and very tired. I am retired but my husband is working.

We5Kings

Re: What time in the morning?

Post by We5Kings » 08 May 2016, 17:03

Sounds as if you are doing brilliantly, what a lucky doodle to have you both. There was a recent thread on here, in General Discussions, about early rising( worth a read)
We are non craters so I can't see why introducing a crate at this stage would work. Do you have any idea if there is anything in particular that's waking him? Dawn chorus? People going to work etc?
Our doodle is 3years old and he often has a sort of restless patrol at around 3am. He sleeps upstairs with us, so I hear him have a little wander. He doesn't bark though.
When he was little he barked and howled so much in the kitchen that we chose to let him upstairs where he sleeps soundly. Not sure if this is useful. Anny and Dude

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 09 May 2016, 00:14

Good on you for getting a rescue dood. He is a lucky boy!
Is the barking recent thing?
Does he need the loo when he wakes you with barking?What if u kick him out for a no nonsense break and back to bed for all. No fussing etc. Could be a loo break later at night? Wonder if a sneaky fox is passing through your garden or like here a blasted rabbit . Not something daft like your boiler kicking in at that time. We realised for us it was someone going to work ever so early when we kept being woken.
There are huuuge crates but not sure if would make a diffs. Hope you figure it out soon.

olly

Post by olly » 09 May 2016, 06:15

I feel your pain! I am having a similar problem with my two. They are 13 months old and have been getting up before or around 5 since the beginning of April. Before that they slept till 6. They were crated. After reading on the net I chose to set the alarm for 5 mins before they started ( tricky to guess what time that would happen) I got up when the alarm went. Then after a couple of days I moved the alarm on a couple of mins. We are now up to 5.30, my aim is to get to 5.45 or 6.
They were in crates but are now free to roam. The change has not impacted on their getting up time. I don't know what set them off originally so I couldn't change that, it was just a case of training them to a better waking time.
I work and my coffee consumption has rocketed :shock: I have found that I get lots done before I have to go to work. You can feel quite smug when you get to work with all your housework jobs done. (Ironing is so much more pleasant when the temperature is cooler first thing :lol:
Olly, Echo & Whisper

dog tired

Post by dog tired » 10 May 2016, 12:21

Thanks for all your tips. We have decided to put him in the hall with the kitchen door closed. It is darker there and cooler as it has a stone floor.
He took longer to settle the first night (Sunday), but much quicker yesterday. I have left his huge bed in the hall during the day. It does get in the way but it is better, I feel, that he regards this as his space. He still lies in the kitchen where his bed was previously.
Sunday night he woke three times and yelped. My husband went down and he settled again.
Last night we called to him "Quiet" at 2am, 4.30am and 5.30am. He resettled.
I went down both mornings at 6.30 and woke him up and made a fuss of him.
He doesn't need the loo and he goes out for his first walk at 7am.
I have just come back from a long 40minute walk off lead and we both got really wet and muddy.
I hope lots of active walks and a clear routine will help.
I am not sure if guests will appreciate being called in the middle of the night....We will deal with that when the time comes.
I will keep you posted how it goes.

patterpaws

Post by patterpaws » 11 May 2016, 10:15

Well done on giving a rescue dog a second chance, never walked - poor thing! It sounds like he is doing splendidly overall.
Our last two dogs have slept in the hallway and its worked really well for us, we too have a nice cool solid hall floor which they seem to love, even in winter. We took out our understairs cupboard and have the under-stairs area as their den with bed, bowls, toy box etc in, they seem to like the low ceiling and its very cosy. We will be using the same area for our new pup but will have the kitchen door closed at first, when she's older we will probably leave it open but our kitchen doesn't get any morning sun.

stout

Post by stout » 11 May 2016, 10:31

Ah that's fab- he sound like one lucky doodle!

Stout used to be an early riser (about 5ish), he does start wriggling at first light. He sleeps in our room and we have a large shrub outside the bedroom window which is full of sparrows, they sit in it tweeting through megaphones, which wakes us all up :lol:

When we are in the caravan stout will sleep in til 11 - the blackout blinds are really good in it, so we also have blackout curtains in the bedroom. He wakes up at 8 and wimpers for his breakfast, we can now feed him then he will come back to bed for a couple of hours at the weekend, which is handy!

I sympathise with the barking - Stout usually comes to bed at 10:30, then decides to get up at midnight for a wee - but runs to the end of the garden and barks, if he gets up in the night he does the same, but if I see him doing his 'poodle patrol' running (more like a bounce down the garden than a run) I will tell him quiet and he then barks under his breath :roll:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 12 May 2016, 11:34

One of the best commands we ever taught Dude was "Lie down now". This is SO handy if he's fidgety during the night, but also very handy during our mealtimes and when we take him to the pub etc. I say it in a very laid back quiet/sleepy voice and he slumps down and goes to sleep! ( not the same as the "Down" command which he will only do for food! I well recall him being the only pup in class who refused to do DOWN!)
I mention this Lie down now command because you can tell dogs to do this at bedtime and it really works. And also if they wake too early.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 13 May 2016, 01:11

Been thinking of you both and your new boy.You should pat yourselves on the back. He is only a youngster really and is still settling in. Waking up may be associated with his old life if there were many kids and waking in the night. Anyway he is with you now, treat him as you would a new pup ie this how we going to live together so he gets your house rules and specifically 'we sleep at night' which you are doing.

Reminds me of our boy who was about 14 months when he came to stay. Settled eventually though bless him he grizzled every now and then wanting reassurance. He takes himself off to bed these days and goes back for snoozes after breakfast or early morning, 7am is early, right?, pee break.
Your new dood sounds like a great companion.

dog tired

Post by dog tired » 17 May 2016, 21:23

I think we have sorted the early mornings as he is now waking at 7am. On Saturday morning it was 7.15!!
Blacking out the front door and the kitchen door has made the hall so dark that he sleeps much better.

The new worry is he is not coming back when I recall him. He looks up but then chooses to carry on sniffing etc. Yesterday he went outside the park and it was only a really kind dog owner that left her dog and called him to come back. He nearly went on the road.
Today we went to a different park so he didn't go too far and I was able to recall him.
It feels like Russian Roulette...will he won't he?
Dog training tomorrow, so I will hopefully get an insight into his mind.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 18 May 2016, 10:14

Glad the early morning issue is resolved.
Even those of us with dogs we've had since pups have the odd blips with recall! I would say if you call and he just looks up, but ignores you, just walk over and clip his lead back on. Then let him off again and see what happens. If he does it again, clip the lead on etc
Another v good tip is: walk along briskly then, when he overtakes you turn and walk in the opposite direction. He will follow you. Keep walking til he overtakes you then again change direction. The key here is that he has to be observant, he will want to follow you but because you are being unpredictable he has to keep checking what you will do next. A gun dog trainer told us this and it worked very well with Dude, recently, when he was going too far ahead. Anny