Garden toilet area.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
patterpaws

Garden toilet area.

Post by patterpaws » 10 May 2016, 11:47

We have been busy puppy-proofing the garden while we have some nice weather. Given we will be toilet training anyway I am wondering about making a specific toilet area for our pup. The garden is quite big and although she will be confined to a smaller section of garden at first we are thinking we might need to make 2 or 3 areas around the garden and whittle it down to one once she is adult.

After lots of research on the internet it seems gravel with a wooden border is the best option. I am wondering if that could potentially cause problems when out and about if there is no gravel available so am thinking it might be an idea to have one toilet area with just soil as that is something found almost everywhere. I don't want to use grass or a hard surface as I would prefer if she didn't use paths, patios and lawns as toilets, not just at home but out and about too. I am also hoping to teach her to toilet on command.

I'm just wondering if any of you have a specific toilet area and how that has worked out for you or am I expecting too much from this new pup? My last 2 dogs were quite highly trained and I loved training them but this is something I've not attempted before, though both knew not to use paths and paved areas.

We5Kings

Re: Garden toilet area.

Post by We5Kings » 10 May 2016, 14:28

Hi Patterpaws, interesting idea and I expect do-able but bear in mind one thing: sometimes dogs won't poo in their own gardens! :lol:
From the time we started taking Dude out for walks he stopped using the garden. He will wee( on the grass) but no poos.Previous 2dogs were the same. Something to do with not soiling his territory I guess? Dude takes this further and won't go in the park! He sees it as his space too!
What I'm getting at is sometimes they make their own decisions!
As for wees I'm happy for him to go on grass,but then we have a small field and not a smart lawn! Remember, grass verges are better than soil and more plentiful in most towns or villages. Soil could cause problems.i mean where would you find soil if you were out? Gravel also might equate to strangers drives?!! :shock: Anny

stout

Post by stout » 10 May 2016, 23:12

Stout would not go to the loo in our old garden - but it was tiny- a bit of a pain as he quite often had an upset tum, so I used to take him for a walk in my pj's at 4 in the morning. Now we have moved he will go in the garden. He goes on the grass, but on walks he much prefers a nice gravel drive :oops:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

patterpaws

Post by patterpaws » 11 May 2016, 09:52

Thanks, I did wonder about gravel drives myself but gravel seems to be the most popular surface to use for a loo area as it can be hosed down and disinfected. That was why I thought of a second soil area, when I say soil I mean a patch of bare ground between bushes at the bottom of our garden, it was my last 2 dogs favourite toilet spot and I thought that would give another option when out on walks. There are usually some bushes or a hedgerow around or a bit of soil under a tree.
What set me off thinking about this was an old neighbour of mine who used to stand on the doorstep and plonk their german shepherd pup down just next to it when toilet training, years later she still complained that the dog used to poo right in front of the doorstep, it was always getting stepped in and she didn't see a connection!
At our previous house my dog before last wouldn't use the garden either as it was tiny but when we moved here she went the other way and wouldn't poo out on walks, would wait to get home, fortunately on holidays and days out she would go if she could find a clump of bushes to hide behind. My last dog was happy to go at home and out but also preferred to go in the bushes, he was a rescue so already toilet trained. I think the obsession with bushes is that we have a lot of them in our garden.
I might try and give it a go, no harm in trying, the garden is big and irregular shaped so its a time consuming task doing a thorough poo patrol, only a few areas to check would be great. I know guide dogs are trained to use a specific area and go on command but they are trained to go on a hard surface and I don't want to encourage that really. Any more ideas or advice would be welcomed

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 11 May 2016, 10:32

I'm sure you can teach a pup where to go. Unless they have other ideas :roll: My top tip is to always take pup out on lead for wees/poo. That way you are saying "this is what we are going out for". You are an experienced owner so you probably did this. Dude is nearly 3 but I still clip his lead on for the first wee of the morning( otherwise he gets v distracted in the garden sniffing for foxes, badgers, cats etc!)We do the same for the last wee at 11pm( otherwise he'd be outside for ages!)
When he was tiny I took him to a particular patch of grass for poos. But, as I said, he won't go in the garden now. This is, at the moment, a nuisance, as I am still in a plaster cast and can't walk him. Thank goodness he can hold on very well til his mid day walk with husband! Anny