People shy

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
KatyM

People shy

Post by KatyM » 04 Jun 2016, 08:29

Winnie has just been to stay at my sister and brother in laws for three days while we were away. It was really hard leaving her but I didn't make a fuss. She has met them a few times before but hasn't really spent a lot of time with them. She relaxed with my sister in law fine but spent the whole three days trying to avoid my brother in law!! It's such a shame cos he is such a nice guy and would have loved to have spent the time with her. He tried feeding her and petting her but she just cowers away from him! She even barked at him while my sister in law was in the shower. The problem is they have agreed to take care of her while we are away again in August, but we are away for 2 1/2 weeks!!

Any suggestions of how I can help Winnie feel more relaxed with him?

Brooks13

Re: People shy

Post by Brooks13 » 04 Jun 2016, 10:30

I am no expert on this by a long shot but perhaps he could do more stuff with you and her together so she could grow used to him. He could come round for coffee once a week with a load of treats in his pocket and come on some walks with you both. That sort of thing. Hopefuly she will come to like him.

We5Kings

Re: People shy

Post by We5Kings » 04 Jun 2016, 13:01

Totally agree. Treats are the answer. And seeing him more regularly, especially in your home. Our Dude isn't keen on new men but if they come bearing biscuits he likes them!