Puppy overheating? Worried

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
TedsHuman

Puppy overheating? Worried

Post by TedsHuman » 06 Jun 2016, 22:49

I have an f1b 9 week old boy with a very fluffy thick coat and I am concerned he is over heating, especially tonight. He is in his crate by my side and is asleep but it's way too hot even for me and I have a t shirt on not a big wolly coat like him!

Any advice on what signs to look for?

Thanks
Haylie & Ted

We5Kings

Re: Puppy overheating? Worried

Post by We5Kings » 07 Jun 2016, 09:32

Yes, it's been very hot! Our Dude has a thick wooly coat which was cut very short last week. I think it helps to keep the coat clipped. Your pup is perhaps too young for a puppy groom but as soon as vaccines are done I would take him to groomer for a puppy pamper( as they call it :roll: )
Make sure he always has access to water and it really helps if they have cold flooring( tiles, vinyl, wood etc) to lie on. When we got Dude in 2013 it was hot weather and he would lie down, then move off to find a cool spot from time to time.
Don't worry about panting, that's how they keep cool. Just make sure pup isn't out in sunshine( they don't have the sense to seek shade when they are tiny!)
On balance its much nicer having a pup in summer than winter though. At least you keep dry during those trips outside! Anny

TedsHuman

Post by TedsHuman » 07 Jun 2016, 10:56

Hi Anny

Thank you for the advice, our kitchen and living room are shaded and have tiles/laminate so I think he will be OK in the day but our bedroom is thick carpet and warm although he sleeps in his crate next to our bed and not directly on the carpet. I will remove some of his blankets from his crate tonight so he has a colder plastic bit to lie on, his crate is big and has a water bowl attachment so at least he has room to stretch out.

I was really worried last night I hardly got any sleep but he slept right through to 4.30am and woke me up for a wee so I probably worried for nothing.

It's a shame to have his coat shaved (it's gorgeous!) but I definitely don't want him over heating so I will take him to a groomer as soon as he is allowed.

And yes I agree about the summer puppy advantages!

jonb

Post by jonb » 07 Jun 2016, 14:53

Definitely helps to have the coat clipped....Roker has his done really short before we got to the south of France each summer. For the really hot days he has a cool coat as well which helps massively.

stout

Post by stout » 07 Jun 2016, 16:35

Stout has a very thick black fleece coat - we also keep him shorter in the summer (much prefer him longer but he gets far too hot)

We have a cool dog coat for him that he wears in the summer during the day. Its seems a bit weird covering him to keep him cool - but they are like chamois leathers, you wet them and it keeps the dog nice and cool (oh and he has a kids paddling pool that he flops in periodically!)

You can get gel filled cooling mats - I can't tell you if they work - we brought Stout one - but he doesn't like sleeping on dog beds - in his crate at work he moves them out of the way to sleep on the plastic floor and prefers to sleep on 'plain' floor
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

TedsHuman

Post by TedsHuman » 07 Jun 2016, 16:51

I think if I got Ted a gel filled mat he would eat it at the moment, he has already ripped the stuffing out of his soft toys (he is 9 weeks).

Will they clip a 12 week old?

Here is a photo so you can see what his coat is like - he is very very fluffy Image

annvinton

Post by annvinton » 07 Jun 2016, 17:29

You could always wring a towel out in cold water and let him lie on that, if he will.
As dogs sweat through their paws they usually like paddling in cool water when they are hot, Ben will often lie in the pond to cool off, but of course puppies and ponds do not mix. :D

ImageImage

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 07 Jun 2016, 17:39

Isn't he gorgeous!Is he a Standard or a Mini? Most groomers will be happy to clip as long as the pup has had had all vax. A good groomer will just do a puppy trim on the first visit to get him used to clippers.
Our Dood has been going since he was tiny and still isn't keen though! :roll: We plan to do it ourselves from now on :shock: Anny

TedsHuman

Post by TedsHuman » 07 Jun 2016, 19:20

Thanks for the advice I will try a damp towel at the bottom of his crate a and see how he takes to it tonight.

He is a miniature, his dad is a miniature poodle and his mum was a miniature Labradoodle. The vet says he has unusually large paws for a small puppy though I don't know if that's a Labradoodle trait? I think they are really cute!

He is quite good when I brush him every night and wipe his face etc but I usually wait until he is sleepy at night or he bites the brush so I will take him after a long play so he isn't so hyper when they try and clip him.

doodleted

Post by doodleted » 07 Jun 2016, 20:01

Hi From One Ted to another. We are currently on our narrowboat with our two Doodles and Yesterday was the first time they couldnt stand it. We moored up in the shade, opened all the windows doors and they were still chuffing and couldnt settle. Ted has a thick wavy coat and Mabel has a tight curly poodle coat. Last week before we set off we had them scalped. I much prefer the long scruffy look but so glad we had them cut short.
Last night hubby took the glass out of one of the port holes and put a fan in it. It was amazing blew cool air everywhere both dogs calmed down and slept. We also put damp towels on the floor for them. Also make sure your Ted has lots of water as hes only a baby.
Ted doodle(and Mabel)

TedsHuman

Post by TedsHuman » 07 Jun 2016, 21:07

Haha Ted must be a popular name for a doodle, mine looks exactly like one of them scruffy teddy bears :-)

I was thinking of getting him a fan but I had him lie down in my car footwell yesterday and I put the air con blowers on him and he wasn't too keen! Maybe it was the excitement of the car that made him not settle. Il try it anyway I think we can do with a fan too (even though these days the dog seems to come first!)

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Jun 2016, 21:49

Probably not a good idea at night, but during the day you can wet his belly and genitals to cool him if he overheats - keep the rest of him dry though. It is hot here tonight, and two of my doods are lying on the stone floor to keep cool (the third is a princess as is lying on the sofa with her head on a cushion :lol: )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

TedsHuman

Post by TedsHuman » 08 Jun 2016, 07:35

Hello Bid

Thanks for the advice.

May I ask why not to wet all of him but just his belly?

I only ask because he has been in the grass this morning and his legs, face and belly are damp and I was just going to let him dry off naturally but if he shouldn't be wet I will dry him myself.

Thank you
Haylie & Ted

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Jun 2016, 08:57

This time of day he will be fine, but when the sun is really hot, if you wet them all over the moisture on the top in the sun will heat up and make him even hotter, but the water on his belly in the shade will stay cooler and help cool him down.

If you ever get worried about him you can always put him in the car and go for a drive with the air con on!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

TedsHuman

Post by TedsHuman » 08 Jun 2016, 09:54

Ahh thank you for clarifying.