Has anyone tried dog food so i know which one is right!!!!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
hayl331981

Has anyone tried dog food so i know which one is right!!!!!!

Post by hayl331981 » 07 Jul 2016, 15:02

Ahhh so 3 weeks in and I'm still struggling with louis and feeding. In the month just over i have had him I've tried fish4dogs and wainwrights and still he doesn't seem that keen!! On advice from the vets I was told to start doing 2 meals a day but he developed bad loose stools so onto the fish and rice until i could gradually ween him back onto his kibble and return to 3 meals a day (maybe it was too much for his small belly) He is putting on weight nicely but he just doesn't seem that interested in anything I have given him yet, apart from the fish and rice i boiled. Morning he will have a few mouthfuls then leave it...lunch is pretty much the same and tea he may eat but not in one go and i don't really like leaving the food down to long for toilet training or the flies!! He will eat his treats fine, so not his appetite. When i boiled the fish he was there till it had all gone but I find even though I'm feeding him less I still have a lot of waste. I was thinking of yet again a possible change of food...is it the taste he doesn't like should i try wet trays mixed with kibble??!! I've tried wainwrights, duck, salmon and turkey dry and none have gone down well. Any advice would be great as I don't want to keep buying different brands and wasting it but I also don't want louis to not be getting enough nutrition. Thanks Hayley & Louis

Or, maybe trying some wet food with the kibble?

Doodle Dee

Re: Has anyone tried dog food so i know which one is right!!

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Jul 2016, 18:16

I. Not sure if I have said this before. Lulu was very very fussy as a pup. She was eating kibble then she decided she didn't like it and turned her nose up. She didn't like raw at all. In the end some one recommended natures diet. It is a wet food but I didn't look back. She will eat most things now except raw!!!

Are you changing the food slowly?
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

hayl331981

Post by hayl331981 » 07 Jul 2016, 19:10

Is that something I can buy from pets at home? I'll give anything a shot x

I've just had a quick look and wondered where you purchased yours from as many places sell as bulk and petsathome sell singularly. Is this a good food nutrition wise, is it better than say wainwrights kibble. Could I feed half and half, do they do kibble? Thanks

Brooks13

Post by Brooks13 » 07 Jul 2016, 20:19

I haven't got anything useful to add other than you nights as well be describing my pup who probably is about the same age. She is interested in anything and everything except her own kibble. We are still on what the breeder had her own as it seems quite good but she's hardly interested at all. I'm sure I throw more away than she eats!

I am no expert but she's a gaining weight as she should and I assume if she was hungry she would eat it!

hayl331981

Post by hayl331981 » 07 Jul 2016, 20:23

Brooks13 wrote:I haven't got anything useful to add other than you nights as well be describing my pup who probably is about the same age. She is interested in anything and everything except her own kibble. We are still on what the breeder had her own as it seems quite good but she's hardly interested at all. I'm sure I throw more away than she eats!

I am no expert but she's a gaining weight as she should and I assume if she was hungry she would eat it!
Same here, because i soak it a little after an hour of it sitting it gets thrown away till the next attempt!! This evening Louis was chasing some stray grapes and gobbled them down, makes no sense. I think maybe tomorrow I may attempt a wainwrights wet tray with the kibble as I think that may go down a little better, don't really want to keep changing brand of food all the time. He is high maintenance!!! If you find the chinese of dog food let me know :D

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Jul 2016, 20:31

I have bought Naturediet in pets at home. I also found they were very helpful when I asked their opinion.

I now buy it in bulk. She has one tray a day along with treats. She is doing well.

The fact is he is putting on weight so you can't be doing too much wrong. He may be eating what he needs

When I mixed kibble with the wet food Lulu ate round the kibble!!!

She eats kibble as a treat but not as a meal. Although an haven't tried for some time as it took me ages to sort out what she likes!

Natures diet appears to have all good ingredients and she has always been fine
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Jul 2016, 21:15

Just a word of warning - grapes are extrememly toxic to dogs - Beamish had to go to the vet and be made to vomit after eating just 3 jumbo sultanas. SOme dogs are fine, but some develop kidney failure which can be fatal. Vets consider it to be an emergency (google it and you will see). As she is a pup I would ring your vets and ask for their advice.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

hayl331981

Post by hayl331981 » 07 Jul 2016, 21:18

Bid wrote:Just a word of warning - grapes are extrememly toxic to dogs - Beamish had to go to the vet and be made to vomit after eating just 3 jumbo sultanas. SOme dogs are fine, but some develop kidney failure which can be fatal. Vets consider it to be an emergency (google it and you will see). As she is a pup I would ring your vets and ask for their advice.
Yikes, think he definately gobbled at least 1 that was cut in half. My son has a tendency to through and I spend my time searching. I'll have a read now.

stout

Post by stout » 07 Jul 2016, 22:00

Stout wasn't fussy but he went through a phase where we had to pick his food up, stir it around then put it back down to get him to eat it. Stout used to have nature diet (can't eat it now coz of his allergies :roll: ), if you have a countrywide near you it nis cheaper than pets at home. Good luck it is a minefield.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Myrtle007

Post by Myrtle007 » 08 Jul 2016, 09:33

I wouldn't worry so much. My 18 month old labradoodle was the same until one month after she was spayed then she started eating everything. In hind sight we wasted so much time, food and money trying to get her to eat and it was so stressful!

She is so fit and healthy despite being underweight for much of her puppyhood!

linny

Post by linny » 10 Jul 2016, 18:12

Just wondered if you a worming your pup monthly? ...sometimes poor appetite can be due to worms.

Rob-T

Post by Rob-T » 12 Jul 2016, 12:21

I found the following website helpful, it's surprising how some if the so called "premium" dog foods are not so good as made out to be.

www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It's an independent site with reviews and nutritional info about wet, dried and treats.
I feed my two on Eden, not the cheapest but they do not need as much of it. Both have done well on it. Any changes you do make, do it slow and gradual.