Not sure how to play with Logan

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Post Reply
sealofapproval
Posts: 15
Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 08:50

Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by sealofapproval » 10 Aug 2016, 12:36

Logan seems a very laid-back puppy; he sleeps a lot, and will sometimes just lie down and not even go to sleep, just check out what we're doing. He likes sitting and watching us cook in the kitchen. Whilst I know I once heard someone say that calm is VERY good for Labradoodles, I'm a little worried that he might be bored, depressed, or just not happy living with us. The only way I can describe it is he seems like a senior dog trapped in a puppy's body. He is so inquiring; he'll just sit or lie down and stare at us with these "I have no idea what you're doing, please explain it to me" eyes. I think he would be some kind of intellect or scientist if he was human :lol:

Since we got Logan 2 weeks ago I've been trying to play with him. He has lots of toys and likes the squeaky ones or cuddling with the soft ones (his favourite is a cuddly soft bone that squeaks, obviously). However if he plays with one, he usually scuffles with it for a few seconds and then takes it to his bed to chew. I was worried he was getting bored with his toys so I tried to make them more interesting, putting one toy inside another, making them do funny noises, making them do funny movements around the floor, squeaking them to the rhythm of whatever music I'm listening to, etc. Sone times this will interest him but only for about a minute, then he'll just sit and stare at them. I just had a 5 minute session of throwing toys across the room for him to chase, which he enjoyed, but then he just stood and stared at them again. We take him out for garden walks about 2-4 times a day, about 10-20 minutes each, and I encourage him to run about with me, but again after a minute he'll start lagging back and just walk. He has a Kong which I sometimes put treats in or freeze; even if it has food in it he'll get bored of it within 10 minutes and go and lie down. We play tug of war sometimes but he usually goes and plays with it on his own. Ive tried hide and seek and find the toy, and also placing treats under paper cups and shuffling them about to see if he finds the cup the treats under, but again he was engaged for a minute and then sat and stared at me as if wondering why I would do such a stupid thing :lol:

He just seems to prefer his own company. Sometimes he'll sit or lie down in a room with me, other times he'll wander off by himself, so I let him do that because I don't want to force myself onto him if he doesn't want to be in the same room.

I don't want to change Logans personality, I really don't. In a way, we agreed that the fact Logan likes playing by himself will be good in the long run as he'll be able to entertain himself when he's older and we leave him for a while in the house by himself. But I can't shake the feeling he's sad, or I'm doing something wrong. Am I paying him too much attention when he just wants to be on his own? Am I not paying him enough attention? Any help would be appreciated, thank you

EDIT: forgot to mention, he has an episode about once every one or two days where he'll just run about the house like a mad thing, which I've heard is normal for puppies? So he does have energy, it just seems compressed into that one episode

We5Kings
Posts: 543
Joined: 22 Aug 2013, 20:05

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by We5Kings » 10 Aug 2016, 13:13

Logan sounds very like our Dude as a puppy.
He is the most chilled dog I've ever owned! When he was tiny we thought he was maybe too quiet, but really I think it's just his personality.
I would read that we should be playing lots of stimulating games and he would look at me as if to say "why!?"
It took time for him to find the things he LOVES!( apart from eating)
No1 is running after and fetching a ball and this ties in with No2 running,off lead,in big open spaces( beach preferably)
He also loves being right next to me wherever I am, quietly keeping an eye on me.
I LOVE having a calm settled dog. It was unusual to find these traits in a puppy but he hasn't lost that vibe. Anny

User avatar
Bid
Posts: 18722
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 20:30
Location: South Dorset
Contact:

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by Bid » 10 Aug 2016, 17:29

Puppies do sleep an awful lot - don't forget that!

SOmetimes it can take a whle to find out what really gets your pup excited - one of mine really isn't bothered about food and much prefers her ball, but what really gets her excited is latex dog toys! I don't know why that is!

What about training - maybe Logan needs to use his brain, and it's never too soon to start!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Image
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

sealofapproval
Posts: 15
Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 08:50

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by sealofapproval » 13 Aug 2016, 10:32

We5Kings wrote:Logan sounds very like our Dude as a puppy.
He is the most chilled dog I've ever owned! When he was tiny we thought he was maybe too quiet, but really I think it's just his personality.
I would read that we should be playing lots of stimulating games and he would look at me as if to say "why!?"
It took time for him to find the things he LOVES!( apart from eating)
No1 is running after and fetching a ball and this ties in with No2 running,off lead,in big open spaces( beach preferably)
He also loves being right next to me wherever I am, quietly keeping an eye on me.
I LOVE having a calm settled dog. It was unusual to find these traits in a puppy but he hasn't lost that vibe. Anny
This is comforting, thank you. I thought all puppies would be jumping off the walls all day but maybe Logan is just a chilled out puppy :) Haha, I can relate to him looking at you as if to sat "why?"; if the game doesn't involve food, Logan doesn't quite see the point in it :) (Dude sounds lovely by the way)
Bid wrote:Puppies do sleep an awful lot - don't forget that!

SOmetimes it can take a whle to find out what really gets your pup excited - one of mine really isn't bothered about food and much prefers her ball, but what really gets her excited is latex dog toys! I don't know why that is!

What about training - maybe Logan needs to use his brain, and it's never too soon to start!
Thank you for your advice! Logan loves his food, it's the only thing that can really get him excited-but I might try looking for some different textured toys, maybe he'll get excited over one that is different to the rest. And yes I have been training Logan a few short sessions each day-he seems to like this :)

We5Kings
Posts: 543
Joined: 22 Aug 2013, 20:05

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by We5Kings » 13 Aug 2016, 11:12

Image
Yep, Dude is a lovely chilled chap!

User avatar
Bid
Posts: 18722
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 20:30
Location: South Dorset
Contact:

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by Bid » 13 Aug 2016, 20:27

I would have some fun with training - maybe introduce a clicker. Once he knows that the click means he is doing something right and will be rewarded you could do all sorts of things - teach a few little tricks to impress friends and family!

Also, homemade toys with food in them are great fun. Little cardboard boxes (like toothpaste ones) - put a couple of treats in and seal them and let him tear them apart. Once he's got the hang of that play russian dolls with them - treat in a box in a box in a box. It can get messy but is fun. If any of your friends get something like a new washing machine - ask for the box - Beamish loved having dens in boxes when he was a pup. It's particularly useful when they are teething - destroying cardboard can sooth sore gums. The only thing to watch for is cardboard eating!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Image
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

dexysback
Posts: 933
Joined: 15 May 2013, 20:35

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by dexysback » 14 Aug 2016, 20:29

Dexter is the same very chilled and laid back ,even as a pup ,he used to fall a sleep in hes training class.Someone saw him to day and said how look at the old boy ,she was shocked when i said he was only six.
ImageImage

TedsHuman
Posts: 54
Joined: 30 May 2016, 14:07
Location: Manchester

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by TedsHuman » 16 Aug 2016, 16:59

Our puppy is almost 5 months and he is similar to Logan, wait until he gets out of the house and off lead he will be a different dog!

Sometimes Ted sits in the kitchen when we are in the living room watching TV and he will sit there on his own chilling, but watch us through the door. He is also welcome to sleep on our bed and sit on the couch but he prefers the floor on his own - I think it's just their personality.

Like you we are pleased he can be independant. We work full time but Ted has a dog walker and goes to doggy day care so my husband and I aren't the only people/things in his life...in fact he has a better social life than us! Maybe try sending him to doggy day care once a week to socialise and play and learn new skills? That might perk his interest and stimulate his mind.

Haylie & Ted.
Image

sealofapproval
Posts: 15
Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 08:50

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by sealofapproval » 22 Aug 2016, 19:47

TedsHuman wrote:Our puppy is almost 5 months and he is similar to Logan, wait until he gets out of the house and off lead he will be a different dog!

Sometimes Ted sits in the kitchen when we are in the living room watching TV and he will sit there on his own chilling, but watch us through the door. He is also welcome to sleep on our bed and sit on the couch but he prefers the floor on his own - I think it's just their personality.

Like you we are pleased he can be independant. We work full time but Ted has a dog walker and goes to doggy day care so my husband and I aren't the only people/things in his life...in fact he has a better social life than us! Maybe try sending him to doggy day care once a week to socialise and play and learn new skills? That might perk his interest and stimulate his mind.

Haylie & Ted.
Haha, you're actually right....Logan had his last vaccinations the other day and loves going outside on walks! It makes me happy to see him enjoy then so much. We go to puppy socialisation classes once a week, which I think he enjoys as well :) thank you!

Liz!!
Posts: 2099
Joined: 07 Oct 2012, 15:22

Re: Not sure how to play with Logan

Post by Liz!! » 29 Aug 2016, 00:24

Remember he's a baby. He will lose interest or get tired - in fact they can/will sleep about 20 hours a day. They need to sleep for all the info they are taking in to go into their little brains.

You will often find that very short training sessions are much more successful, and even if they don't 'get it' that day, they will know what to do the next.

You may even be over-walking - 5 minutes per month of life plus 5 minutes is the rule. Any more and they can get overtired. Guess what they do when overtired? Run around the house like a mad thing!

We call it doodle dashing. They all do it, poodles, too.
Image
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Post Reply