Labradoodle not liking Springers

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sarahdol75

Labradoodle not liking Springers

Post by Sarahdol75 » 20 Dec 2016, 23:39

Harley has taken offence to a few springers round by us, not sure why, they have never had a spat in the field or anything.

If he sees one anywhere, he goes mad, barking, lunging if on the lead and if playing out in the field, runs over and gets really quite nasty.

In wales at the weekend, we met a cream doodle called Oscar, and the owner said her dog didnt like spaniels, either.

Just wondering if any other doodles have the same problem at all.
ImageImage

suzi23173

Re: Labradoodle not liking Springers

Post by suzi23173 » 21 Dec 2016, 00:44

I've found it the other way round. Speaking from experience of my dad who had four, now only two, and ones we meet, they usually don't like her. Even though they are very bouncy they don't seem to like being doodled and don't like to play in the same way doodles do. (She doesn't bounce all over other dogs now she's 4 but she used to when younger)
Two of my dad's have gone for her and others we have met are often aloof and don't engage with her.
Another issue is that my dad's are very loyal to him so if she were to make a big fuss of him, which she does as she adores him, they would be very jealous. I don't let them be together now. I wonder if Harley senses they don't like him and makes the first move.
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 21 Dec 2016, 17:58

Your probably right, just seems strange that it is just this type of dog though, as he is so friendly with everyother type.
ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 21 Dec 2016, 18:22

Has one ever snapped at him? It's just that after my dad's liver and white one snapped and snarled at Tess she is now scared of any other one we see but her approach is to lay flat in submission. If she was more feisty maybe she would growl or be defensive like Harley.
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Dec 2016, 21:01

Mine walk with various springers regularly, and dont have any problems with them.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 21 Dec 2016, 21:28

No thats why I cant understand it, none have ever snapped or gone for him that I know of.
ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 22 Dec 2016, 19:51

Stout likes spaniels in general. He doesn't like terriers (he was attacked by a fox terrier as a pup, and has been bitten 3 times by jack russells), or collies (again a run in with one who he used to see at the park, they hated each other) gsd's or greyhounds for absolutely no reason, he will go and bark right in their face :oops: . I think he is ok with spaniels as one of his best mates he has known since he was 3 months is a working cocker (Charlie) and he knows quite a few. Charlie isn't great with many dogs other than stout oddly. Its really weird how they can just decide not to like breeds seemingly at random
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 23 Dec 2016, 12:36

Dude doesnt like Spaniels, or, more to the point they dont like him! He likes Collies, because they are in The B+W club! :lol: His TOP favourite are Little White Puffy Dogs! He's mad for Geoffrey the Bichon and DarcyBussell the Mini Poodle cross :roll: Happy Christmas Everyone. Anny+Dude xx

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 23 Dec 2016, 12:56

I wonder if they get on better when both pups or both older dogs, rather than a bouncy pup and an older dog, which is where our problems stemmed from. No puppy licence was given!
We've also had a lot of gnashing from collies when she was young. They don't seem to like to be bounced but it's fine now if we see one. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

stout

Post by stout » 23 Dec 2016, 14:52

Stout also really like pugs, setter based dogs, labs or anything with a beard :lol: . He only likes 2 collies, he has know these since he was quite young, too!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 01 Jan 2017, 16:44

Wading in a little late... but is it particular coloured Springers, Sarah?
I know that one of the animal behaviourists says that Springers can't prick their ears, which makes them look permanently 'laid back' to dogs that can - which leads to confusion because the Spaniels are desperately trying to communicate that they're uncomfortable, but can't...
If doods really don't like Spaniels, that's bad news for our Wyre... he has Spaniel in his mix! No wonder the poor lad is a tad pickled!! :shock:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

jonb

Post by jonb » 03 Jan 2017, 10:09

We have an issue with one Spaniel in particular but then do most of the houses around us as its a right royal pain in the backside. Owners kick it out into the garden a lot where it barks and howls so often others will join in including Roker. He has also bitten two of the dogs on the street including next doors Cockapoo, Rokers best mate, who is a soft and playful as you can get. Thankfully however Roker hasnt sort of taken this to mean all Spaniels are a problem and in fact its the only dog Roker will ever do anything that could be construed as aggressive towards and even then only if he's on a lead and knows full well he actually cant get near him!!