including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 09:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 week labradoodle will only walk with me and my wife
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2018, 22:50 

Hi,

Our 16 week puppy was refusing to walk, he would get to the front door step and refuse to go further, treats and coaxing would get him 20m further down the pavement then he would flatley refuse to go further. Turning and heading for home.
We found by putting him in the car and driving somewhere he would walk no problem. We did this a few times and now he walks with the pair of us from the house no problem.
He wont however leave the house with just me or my wife, we are back to him sitting and refusing to move, we have tried going out together and one of us sneaking off but as soon as he realises that one of us has gone he turns and heads for home.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 16 week labradoodle will only walk with me and my wife
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 14:14 

I haven't any experience of this...
Have you tried both of you leaving the house with him then one of you distracting him whilst the other returns home?

Is there anyone out there who can offer advice.??? ..it must be a difficult problem for this owner.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 17:02 

Hmm , wonder what is going on in his noodle. Strong pack mentality perhaps? I don’t know. Plenty experience of not wishing to walk in certain direction ( still cannot turn left down one road .... for years) and at time not leaving house but in my case is fear related and dog thinking , chaining back toooomuch.
Since you have a pup and guess wife and yourself spend most time together at home , no idea if this would help but make a game of calling pup between rooms so he gets a fuss , some training eg sit lie down and treat from only one of you. Eventually being called back to the other person. Be fun for pup even if makes no diffs to your dilemma!

Or if you go ahead out the door few metres to start and pup can see but has to wait with wife , they then walk to catch you up and you all go together for a few metres. Increase distance slowly and see if that breaks the habit. Now I know this will sound daft but can you leave for a walk via another door? Sometimes it is as simple as that :roll: :D trick is finding that simple key... good luck , don’t force him.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 18:41 

Thanks Linny and Pollydoodle, will give it a try and let you know how we get on, clock in ticking as im away next weekend and we dont want to not walk him.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 23:56 

Is he OK being left alone at home? I was wondering if it is some form of separation anxiety. :?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 10:11 

He seems to be fine at home, always just waking up when we come in!