Mad labradoodle teenager - advice needed

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Milo17

Mad labradoodle teenager - advice needed

Post by Milo17 » 09 Feb 2018, 14:44

Milo is a 15 months F2 miniature doodle - 12kg and about 18inches to the shoulder. He is loving and funny and clever and very athletic. He is also a bundle of fluffy madness.

In many ways he is calming down: jumps up less, and on walks is always checking / aware of where I am, and returns to whistle or call. However he rarely relaxes. After a long walk he will eg. run round and round the house, throw toys around, jump on my knee, chew cushions, steal my jumper, bark at fluff in a corner, dig at the carpet etc.

I realise that dogs go through dog phases. When Milo was a toddler he was afraid of heights so couldnt jump up or down from anything, chewed flowerpots and dug up the garden. Will his current hyper-mad teenager-hood mellow soon too? If so, what can I expect next?

linny

Re: Mad labradoodle teenager - advice needed

Post by linny » 09 Feb 2018, 23:43

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh that mad teenage phase....we have all been there and I'm sure others here will also relate to your post?
It does pass.....really it does.
You might try going back to basic training sessions or find games that will exercise his brain and mentally challenge him..
Perhaps you could find an agility or fly ball class in your area to take him to.?
It sounds as if he needs more than physical exercise to wear him out.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 10 Feb 2018, 17:16

Good luck :lol: We are allowed to laugh as we’ve been through the teenage phase.
Charging round the house and digging carpet after walk could be nettles related and or weird sensation when fur in paws are drying. Mine are+6 yrs and will do most what you describe when back for a walk and rummage in undergrowth. Thankfully at +35kgs he does not jump on my knee :shock: :)
Rather than always mega walks, try brain tiring games, exercise, tricks as more often this is what they need. Minutes of brain games vs hour of walking

Milo17

Post by Milo17 » 23 Feb 2018, 15:10

Oh Oh he is moving to a new phase without leaving the old one.

In addition to all the pre-described high-energy behaviour on returning from a walk, he is is now also doing bouncy-barking at me, where he goes low on his front paws with his bottom in the air and hops around me woofing. If that doesnt get a response he bumps one of my knees with his nose - then tries my other knee. If I open the door to the garden he goes out then sits down and barks. When I go to "talk" to him he runs at me and hits me with his front paws then runs away woofing, then repeats.

This is a very woofy stage.

He reminds me of my sons as teenagers....