Rare - I almost have a feeling of puppy-training success....

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Milo17

Rare - I almost have a feeling of puppy-training success....

Post by Milo17 » 22 May 2018, 19:42

I have been struggling with my clever doodle for the past weeks. Once over 14 months he became a teenage terror. When he was bored he'd bark at me, jump up and hit me with his big paws (knocked me clean over once), and bite my bottom. I got to the stage when I was really thinking I was not a good enough owner for him, and I phoned the RSPCA.

But they suggested a dog psychologist, who really helped. She explained his need not just to be active but also to interact with me. I started training - heel, up on bench, front paws up and back down, back paws up and front down, jump over, middle (between legs), go round (move from right side to left and back). I had never expected this kind of relationship with my new dog because all the other dogs I have had have not needed such intense interaction. But dear little Milo loves it. He is now sleeping happily next to me, waiting for his next "session" of training.

Pollydoodle

Re: Rare - I almost have a feeling of puppy-training success

Post by Pollydoodle » 22 May 2018, 23:08

8) :D Fabulous, so glad you found the key that connects you! He sounds a super clever doodle who needs to use his brain cells.
Kudos to you for persevering and for making me smile a lot!
Love it! Thanks for sharing

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 23 May 2018, 00:19

You are realising just how intelligent these doods are. They love nothing better than learning new things especially when it's reward based :lol: You've given me guilt now as I used to do lots with Archie when he was younger but we tend to get lazy as they get older. I play football with him ( in a down position he uses his left paw to boot the ball in between my legs. I shout 'goal' and the process starts again! Occasionally when I revisit some of his puppy class training like 'go and sit on your mat', ( this simple command reminds him and he gets so excited that he ends up getting tangled up in it :roll:
The bonds they form with us through this interaction is as important to them as food and air.
As pollydoodle said well done you for getting advice and making Milo a happy chappie. :D
Sharron and Archie

kathiedoodle

Post by kathiedoodle » 23 May 2018, 09:52

Great positive post, Milo is lucky to have such a thoughtful friend in his life. I return to basic training often with Holly, especially when she gets full of herself. She loves any interaction with us and always responds with love and good humour.
Holly also loves football with her very squeaky ball, "GOAL" is often heard when I have managed to get the ball past the goalie ( Holly in the doorway, bottom in the air, tail wagging and talking to me "go on just try " )

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 23 May 2018, 21:50

Fabulous, Milo sounds a very intelligent boy.

Harley is mad, he loves his ball, and will run round the house, chuck it at me then run off in the garden, but the only problem is he will not drop it for me to throw it and play with him, he just likes me to chase him round and round. The he tries to bury it then runs off with it :lol: :lol: to start all over again.
ImageImage