Seasonal Reminder re Grass seed

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
linny

Seasonal Reminder re Grass seed

Post by linny » 15 Jun 2015, 12:23

The grass seed season is once again here. :(
Just a note to all new dog owners to remember to check your dogs thoroughly after walks.
Those insignificant little seeds can cause big problems (especially the seeds with a barb)
They can penetrate the dogs skin and travel deep into the body, enter ears and between pads causing serious infection.
Please make sure that you check and check again in order to avoid discomfort for your dog and expensive vet bills .

linny

Re: Seasonal Reminder re Grass seed

Post by linny » 07 Jul 2015, 18:59

Bumping up.
Cost me a fortune at the vets when my first Dood Bobby had several seeds enter between his pads and they worked their way up his leg (on the inside :shock: ).He needed an operation to remove them.

Don't forget to check after every walk.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 07 Jul 2015, 21:45

Thanks Linny!
Kept meaning to find your post and bump it.

Seeds are awful at the mo. Quite scary how quickly they work way into coat. Found so many around paws/pads when feeling around as not obvious to sight.

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 08 Jul 2015, 11:01

Just yesterday had Paddy at the vets removing a nasty pointy seed thing from his ear. He had to be sedated as he was freaking out. £108 later .... all was fine.
ImageImage

jonb

Post by jonb » 08 Jul 2015, 13:23

I got into a habit of using the hose to clean Rokers feet and inbetween the pads when coming back from walks last autumn after we moved house and its just something i've continued doing to the point he now walks towards the outside tap when we get back and when i tap his legs he lifts his foot up. I suspect that doing this now is going to remove any grass seeds and bits from remove his pads 99.9% of the time.

linny

Post by linny » 08 Jul 2015, 18:13

jonb wrote:I got into a habit of using the hose to clean Rokers feet and inbetween the pads when coming back from walks last autumn after we moved house and its just something i've continued doing to the point he now walks towards the outside tap when we get back and when i tap his legs he lifts his foot up. I suspect that doing this now is going to remove any grass seeds and bits from remove his pads 99.9% of the time.
You really need to check by feeling between the pads as the seeds have barbed ears and can hook in. A hose might not wash them out.

jonb

Post by jonb » 09 Jul 2015, 12:16

linny wrote:
jonb wrote:I got into a habit of using the hose to clean Rokers feet and inbetween the pads when coming back from walks last autumn after we moved house and its just something i've continued doing to the point he now walks towards the outside tap when we get back and when i tap his legs he lifts his foot up. I suspect that doing this now is going to remove any grass seeds and bits from remove his pads 99.9% of the time.
You really need to check by feeling between the pads as the seeds have barbed ears and can hook in. A hose might not wash them out.
I have a hose gun attachment on the end of the hosepipe which has a swivel on it to change the flow of the water out of it....i tend to use the shower option when bathing him but switch to the jet one when cleaning his feet that really gets in and round the pads so its going to get rid of pretty much everything i would have thought.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 09 Jul 2015, 19:51

Hate blooming grass seed!
I think depends on coat too. One dood, the seeds fall off or are easy to slide off using fingers. The other (so called non moult) is awful ,seeds entangle and get traped so quickly. Seeds seem to stick worse than two pieces of uber strong velcro ,on his coat, even with a short coat. (Soon to be even shorter at this rate!)

Markt3857

Post by Markt3857 » 17 Jul 2015, 18:04

Came back early from Norfolk due to Marcie our Cockapoo having a grass seed stuck in between her front pad. She had to be sedated so they could remove it. On anti biotics/manuka honey! and Metacam for pain. Think the vets have taken the p**s a bit with charging us for this lot, currently £360 after two visits and another to come for a check up next week. I believe when we told them we were insured that pound notes lit up in there eyes!!

Briar had one stuck in her abdomen area which we have removed ok. This all happened in the grassy sand dunes in Yarmouth, never again!

How long does this 'season' go on for? We're paranoid now!!
Mark, Kim, Briar & Marcie (the Cockapoo!)

linny

Post by linny » 19 Jul 2015, 13:21

Markt3857 wrote:We're paranoid now!!
You are not alone...grass seed has the same effect on me too.
You need to be checking way in to September even October.
With Bobby several seeds had tracked through the same wound and even though they removed several on the first op he required a second operation to recover seeds on the inside of his elbow... and they had started off between his toes. :shock:

Hope Paddy and Marcie are both recovering well?

RachelandHugo

Post by RachelandHugo » 28 Jul 2015, 20:55

How do you get them out? I have tried a fine tooth comb but they are so close to the skin they will not budge. It it all most impossible to get them with my naills despit spending the last hour sat on floor next to his basket doing just that. Help!! I can imagine any sort of bathing would help - have a doodle with cotton wool for fur!

linny

Post by linny » 31 Jul 2015, 00:22

I usually pick them off and then use a slicker brush ...it works for me and both Ambrose and Jethro have really curly coats....Jethro's is almost like a Bedlington coat (very tight curls)

linny

Post by linny » 03 Jun 2018, 15:45

Just bumping up to make new doodlers aware of the problems grass seed can cause.
It's still a little early in the season but the hot weather will bring seeding forward a little.
Be aware and check your dogs carefully :D