Is it normal for half a litter to pass away?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Dlaz

Is it normal for half a litter to pass away?

Post by Dlaz » 27 Dec 2018, 00:00

We have put a deposit down on a puppy and went to visit him last week (4 weeks old.
When we arrived the breeder informed us that half the litter had passed away a week before. Is this normal? The breeder says it happens in big litters but we are now having second thoughts as they had no idea why and didn’t get a vet report to find out why.

We are now questioning whether our pup will have future health problems

We also thought the breeder would have let us know prior to us driving 2 hrs to meet the new pup but didn’t mention it until we asked where the rest were.

kathiedoodle

Re: Is it normal for half a litter to pass away?

Post by kathiedoodle » 27 Dec 2018, 10:53

How very sad, when you say a large litter, how many? What do you think the remaining pups condition looked like especially your chosen one? Did you have a recommendation to the breeder? Sorry so many questions but Like you I would want to know why so many passed away, is the mother a young inexperienced one?. There I go again, I have no knowledge of pup breeding hopefully someone else can ease your doubts. I do hope all goes well for you, please let us know how you get on.
ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 27 Dec 2018, 21:43

Sorry to read this. Shame on the breeder for not informing you beforehand though of course would not as who can resist a cute little puppy.
I have no clue if the norm or not for half a litter to pass away but not having any vet check would ring alarm bells for me, as did for you.
Would be deeply concerned that no vet involved.
I trust the mother dog was with her pups when you saw them...

The usual questions beforehand eg have the mother and sire had all health checks, breeder should have volunteered that info before and been able to demonstrate that.

Edit adding this link - https://www.doodletrust.com/education/buying-a-puppy
Could be other better links though gives enough food for thought.

linny

Post by linny » 29 Dec 2018, 16:10

It's not normal to lose half of a litter and your post sets alarm bells ringing
No vet involved is also alarming.....who wouldn't want to know why so many pup's have died.?
This smacks of backyard breeding for profit.... I would be extremely concerned about the health of the remaining pup's....
Did you see any certificates relating to hip scores or eye tests for the sire and dam?
I think this is a case of "buyer beware"

Michala100

Post by Michala100 » 29 Dec 2018, 23:10

Something is not right here. Please do investigate further and let us know. Are they a breeder advertising on here?

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 02 Jan 2019, 12:32

If nothing else, I’d like to see the mum and pups. Also they should be vet checked, a responsible breeder would do that. I would ask to see some sort of paperwork and perhaps a pic of the mum with the pups so you don’t travel that long again to see
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Dlaz

Post by Dlaz » 02 Jan 2019, 18:36

Quick update. Sorry it’s taken so long. It’s sad as our kids met the pup and fell in love but we have walked away from this pup.
We were not getting the right answers and we’re not happy that a vet was never involved so asked for our deposit back. We are currently in talks with another breeder and they are making all the right noises so fingers crossed.
Thank you all for your valuable input.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 03 Jan 2019, 14:04

I know how awful it must be but believe you did the right things. I only hope the pups go to the right homes
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage