including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 16:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Long time since last post
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 16:03 

I haven't posted for a while as on 5th Dec husband and I were in a serious RTA, I was ok but husband was seriously injured and has jut returned home after 7 weeks in hospital and very extensive surgery. Poor Luna has been subjected to a variety of dog walker friends and family, BUT has been allowed to get away with murder and is consequently pulling on lead and also her stealing habit has reached epic proportions! She has been great with husband though, she seems to know he isn't up to her antics. I had to drive 100 mile round trip every day and it has been trying on us all. I have been grooming Luna every couple of days but on taking her to groomer today she said she is going to have to be cut very short as she is matted! I feel so guilty! I thought I had been getting down to the skin, but obviously not. She is now 9 months old and I think part of the problem is that her adult coat has come through. I am currently waiting to pick her up - goodness knows what she will look like as I am not a great fan of the short look on doodles, she has a long fleece coat and does not shed at all. Anyway, things are on the up - husband is improving, albeit slowly and life is sort of getting back to normal. Amazing how your life can change in an instant - and all due to somebody else's negligence. Had Luna weighed today for the first time in 6 weeks and she is now 24kg and quite chunky, sort of a labrador body and poodle coat. Anyway, she is now ready so I will sign off. Belated Happy New Year to you all!

Post subject: Re: Long time since last post
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 17:19 

Oh no sorry to hear, you been in an accident. Glad your OH is on the mend though. It is so scary how life can change in a second through other peoples negligence though.

As for Lunas coat, it happens, no matter how much you brush sometimes you cant get all the way through.

I prefer the longer look on a doodle aswell. I only get Harleys coat cut about twice a year, because I prefer it longer.

All the best.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 18:06 

Hi, so shocked to hear you both had such a terrible accident and what an awful Christmas and start of the year for you and family, may your husband continue his recovery. It suprises us just how much empathy our doods have when we are unwell. I expect you are so relieved not to be travelling every day, so tiring without the worry as well. As for Lunas coat it sounds very much like Holly’s a thick fleece that I thought I was doing well with but when she had her first grooming session at around same age, discovered I too had just been scratching the surface, shave up time!! Groomer confirmed baby coat trapped under top coat, we live and learn! One bandy skinny dood that I was not sure was the same dog was returned to me I learnt quickly about fleece coats and a regular 7-8 weeks groom ever since, we like her shaggy but grooming has never been on Holly’s fav list to do. We all know doods, give them an inch and they take a yard but I bet she is glad to have you both back home in her routine again.
May the rest of your year be happy healthy and a joy.
Love Kathie and Holly. Xx

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 00:43 

Gosh so sorry to hear about the accident - sending best wishes for a speedy recovery and a healthy, peaceful rest of year :)

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 11:51 

Thank you so much for your good wishes. It has been a hard time for us all but hopefully things are now on the up.

Collected Luna from her grooming session and could have wept: her beautiful curly coat has been shorn so short she now resembles a whippet - she has no moustache or beard and has only been left with a bit of length on the tail. When I took her for a full groom in December she had NO matts or knots as confirmed by the groomer, and I don't believe that in 6 weeks she could have matted so much that such drastic shearing was called for, especially as I have been grooming her every day with a slicker brush and comb. I don't even recognise her as the same dog. As it is very cold she is shivering so I have had to buy a coat and everybody has been horrified at her appearance. She was such a pretty girl and everybody commented on her beautiful coat - which is no more. She is quite subdued and not herself at all. Her coat does grow quickly so we are hopeful she might be restored to her full glory and insulation soon! I will be using a different groomer in future.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 10:06 

They can Matt in a couple of days, especially in damp weather. The moustache and tail is sensitive to brush a Matt out of, so it is kinder to just shave and start over.
I would enjoy the fact she smells amazing and is so soft underneath and they are just so cuddle able after a full trim, even if they do look naked.
It’s another worry off your list, and you have had a hard time, so enjoy the ease of her short coat and rebook her in every six to eight weeks, each time leaving it a bit longer.
Take care and hope your husband makes a full recovery xxx