including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 20:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is my labradoodle a toy or a mini?!
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 14:37 

Hi all,
New labradoodle owner here. I think may be a bit dim with this question but here goes...
Our ‘mini’ labradoodle has been with us for two weeks now, and is 10 weeks old. Being naive to the size of baby puppies, he seemed small but no worry - he’s a puppy right?
Having done more research into feeding and growth charts he seems incredibly small for his age (for a mini)
He’s 1.1kg at 10 weeks.
I think he had a toy poodle grandpa, is it possible that he’s just taking after that gene? Or will he have a huge growth spurt at some point?
Yours,
Confused

Post subject: Re: Is my labradoodle a toy or a mini?!
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 17:23 

First of all , welcome to the site :D
I'm not able to answer your question as I only have experience of standard and donkey size doodles but I'm sure some miniature doodle owners will come along with comparison weights etc.
You are obviously right in the fact that genes play a part in the size your pup might attain , and with a toy in his line this might well be why he's so small .
There have been some really small doodles here , would love to know how big (or small )he is in a few months time.....do post and let us know :D

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 21:58 

Sorry I cant help I have a donkey size labradoodle aswell :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would love to see photos though.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 22:14 

Like you I am a new member to this forum. I have however found lots of extremely useful info on this site.
Also like you my doodle was a lot smaller than we ever expected. She is 3 years old now and about 8 kg. I seem to remember as a puppy she was very small and light although she did fill out at about 18 months. I am sure your vet will advise on expected weight gain.
My dog had a medium labradoodle mother and a miniature poodle father. She was also the smallest in the litter and also the liveliest and most alert! She continues to be a lively dog but has started to calm down a bit of late.
Good luck with your new puppy. A lot of hard work and a lot of fun. Lot forward to more posts.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 23:09 

Photos of the tiny pup!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 13:16 

:D :D :D ...wow! ...what a cutie he is :D
I have two Chipoos but I call them pooches ... They were of similar size to your pup...they inherited more of their mums genes and she was a toy poodle. Amos is slightly bigger than Eli so he's around 6 kilos and 16nches to the shoulder....Eli is around 5 kilos and 14 inches.
What's his name ?
How did you post your photos?.... I used to use photobucket till they decided that they no longer offered a free service......you will need to explain carefully how to do it ( I'm a bit dim when it comes to technology :lol: )

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 13:32 

Oh my goodness! I think your pup is probably the cutest pup EVER!!
I can't help re size because I have a 30kg Doodle who eats 1kg of meat a day! ( same as your pup weighs!! :lol: ) Anny and Dude

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 13:44 

If you look on the sticky post about posting photos, on page 2 or 3 there’s some instructions using a website called tinypic!
I was stumped at first too!

His name is Lando (after Calrissian)!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 15:44 

What a gorgeous pup Lando is. Love the colour and name.

He definitely looks smaller than mine at that age tho can't be sure how much she weighed as a young pup. She is now fully grown and 12" to her shoulder, 8kg.

Will be interesting to see how his coat/colour develops. Mine is very poodle like . Chocolate brown as a pup but much lighter now. She has just returned from groomers today and her paws and ears look cream!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 18:02 

Awwww she is gorgeous xx

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 10:28 

Hello and welcome to the site! My family got a miniature labradoodle almost a year ago - she’s now about to be one!! Her father was a pedigree miniature poodle so no toy poodle in her genetic makeup. When she was 10 weeks, she weighed 5.1kg and now weighs 15.1kg so she tripled in weight :lol: I’m guessing Lando is probably a toy labradoodle based on his size and face shape - he looks very different to ours aged 10 weeks who looks more like a lab than poodle even though she’s 50/50! He’s got a stunning coat and such a cutie!!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 06:48 

Hi all — an update for you

13 weeks and 2.4 kg

I also look a LOT different...

Tiny scruffy labrador more than cute teddy bear!
What a difference a few weeks makes!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 13:00 

Looking very cute and mischievous! Amazing how quickly they grow and develop at this age.

The coats are always very unpredictable. Mine has a very curly coat which is definitely more poodle like. I have her coat trimmed every 6weeks to keep it in good condition and stop it getting matted. However after last trip her coat seems a lot straighter but a bit of rain could soon bring back the curls?!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 08:01 

Lulu had a mini poodle white and choc lab. She is almost 7 and 15 kg. She is rough coat also. There was me thinking she would be a little bit white. But no. She’s pure black

Your pup is beautiful. They are lovely dogs

ImageImage