including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 08:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Please, please don't eat the dandelions
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 14:40 

I'm beginning to feel like I'm in a cheap remake of a Doris Day film :lol:

Cairo is 6.5 months now and coming along really well. Yes, we still have the "I've got a stone in my mouth, chase me, te he he" moments, and the over-excited jumping and mouthing moments, but she is now fully house-trained, walking and heeling nicely (so long as we don't meet other dogs or big dogs, aka horses, who she just wants to play with!).....BUT, those bright yellow dandelions we pass on our countryside walks seem just too much for her. The only thing she is more determined to eat than the flower heads are the dandelion clocks.

If you time it right with a Leave command, she is fine, but in this beautiful weather I am not always watching the hedgerow :roll:

Does anyone else's doodle find dandelions so irresistible? I'm used to the side-ways grabbing of a mouthful of grass with other dogs, but this obsession is a new one on me. Are dandelion flowers/seeds safe or do I need to worry?

Post subject: Re: Please, please don't eat the dandelions
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 15:53 

Just read in a dog health magazine “They are an ideal choice for dogs with chronic indigestion or those with gas. Dandelion leaf also acts as a diuretic, making it useful in cases of arthritis, kidney stones, congestive heart failure and gallbladder disease. ... The root is a liver tonic and helps to remove toxins from the body, via the kidneys.”
We live and learn, Holly often eats a plant that smells of aniseed, munches her way through it, maybe they know more than we give them credit for.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 16:16 

Thank you for that, it makes me feel much better about her new hobby! They are great teachers, aren't they. :D

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 15:18 

Useful info. Mine doesn't bother with dandelions though plenty around at moment. However the summer weather can bring some unexpected perils!

Mine was fascinated with the camellia petals which fell off when she was a puppy and we had countless games of chase trying to get them off her. She ignores them now thank goodness.

Another trick to get the anxiety levels soaring is when she chases bees. Not successful so far and not quite sure what the best response would be? Anyone had a doodle which managed to catch one or get stung. Have always got emergency vet or piriton at the back of my mind?!?!

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 15:35 

In Cornwall dandelion was known as"piddlebeds"...self explanatory really :lol:
One of my dogs Amos likes them too but he also loves cucumber, mint , and most veggies.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 07:04 

Always good to read about what other people's dogs get up to. It reminds me that Rex is not the only crazy dog out there. :D
https://canineconcepts.co.uk/product/di ... -capsules/