topic updates now moved

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Carole g

Re: Our First New litter of Blues???

Post by Carole g » 06 Sep 2007, 22:31

The only DNA test avalable to SP breeders is von Willebrands, I suspect we will eventually have an optigen PRA test as well although this is a rare problem in poodles. I believe epilepsy is found as a genetic problem in goldies as well as SPs.
The biggest risks are SA and Addison's disease which are almost certainly recessively transmitted. Am I correct that AD is found in goldies but far less common than in SPs
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

Furians

Post by Furians » 06 Sep 2007, 22:36

magnolia wrote:
Carole g wrote:While you are here Magnolia, could you please tell us all what are the health tests that a good goldie breed should do BEFORE she considers breeding her litter?
Test for BVA/KC Hip Dysplasia after 12 months old
Hereditary Eye test BVA/KC/ISDS for PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy) & HC (Hereditary Cataract)
And now more recently Elbow Dysplasia x-ray has been introduced.

These should be done before you decide to breed with your bitch.
Yep done all but one but if i am am right in thinking the BVA have not yet come up with BMS for elbows?

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 06 Sep 2007, 22:42

There are two partners to every mating, it is criminal to breed an SP without an SA test, eye test and (with the hip issues that have cropped up as well with labradoodles) a very decent hip score.

Furians

Post by Furians » 06 Sep 2007, 22:43

her hips are better than the BMS!
check out champdogs and see some of the scores that some of the studs have, some are double Beaus and thats appauling, but no doubt someone will back bite and magically i will be wrong again but i know of one top breeder who's boy has one hip 16 and the other 3 but hey, they're pedigree's and big names so they can get away with it.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 06 Sep 2007, 22:46

Given parthenogenesis that would be sufficient

Anna Costaire

Post by Anna Costaire » 06 Sep 2007, 22:58

Well I'm not going to make any comments on what has been said on this thread - call me a 'sit on the fencer' if you like - my shoulders are broad and being past retirment age, I have heard it all before.

But I am going to say that you have a lovely bitch there, she looks well and happy, and those pups are a credit to you and too her.

Good Luck.

Anna and M x
Thank you for ten and a half years of love, loyalty and happiness. 14/2/04-5/8/14.
R.I.P my sweet girl - always in my heart. xx

Furians

Post by Furians » 06 Sep 2007, 23:10

thank you very much for your comment about Beau.
We do love her so very much,you should see her outside playing with bubbles! she is great and devoted mum. Her puppies as you can see by the pics she is contented with it all, even when my daughter gets in and helps her clean up.
It's lovely seeing her and pups mooch about her box while i watch the tele.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 06 Sep 2007, 23:20

A seven page free breeder advert for a litter to a very young bitch, doesn't that make you think, Mark? This kind of thing harms your breed, everyone loves pictures of puppies and it is all too easy to sell puppies with such exposure. High prices, very limited health testing, none of this matters once people want a puppy. A proper breed club needs to regulate this in the interest of the breed.

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 06 Sep 2007, 23:51

we are trying Carole but these free forums cause much distress

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 07 Sep 2007, 00:23

Carole g wrote:A seven page free breeder advert for a litter to a very young bitch, doesn't that make you think, Mark? This kind of thing harms your breed, everyone loves pictures of puppies and it is all too easy to sell puppies with such exposure. High prices, very limited health testing, none of this matters once people want a puppy. A proper breed club needs to regulate this in the interest of the breed.

So, Magonolia is a friend of yours then Carole ? :shock:

mhayhurst
Site Admin

Post by mhayhurst » 07 Sep 2007, 06:49

(Sharon - don't go there please)

Anyone who thinks this is a 7-page advert needs to re-read the thread. My take on it is that it is, again, a useful if sometimes heated, discussion about breeding practices. Perhaps better placed in one of the other sections (which I will consider).

If everyone were as caring and concerned for other people as they are of their dogs (in fact of dogs who are completely unknown to them even) then what a different society we would have ;)

Mark

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Sep 2007, 07:24

Your "take", Mark, is the only "take" there is and you have, despite loving your own dog, absolutely no experience of the world of dog breeding.
The UKLA is not, as most view it, a breed club web site, but the personal blog that has grown way too big.
For heaven's sake, Mark, set up a small committee of those with experience in your breed and VOTE on how this site should be run.
It is, as it stands, a disaster and you lack the experience in dog sales to understand why. Breeders know that once people come to see a puppy, they will 9/10 buy the pup, whatever the circumstances, and however dreadful the breeder. These puppy pictures serve the same purpose, they will sell the litter, stick a child in the picture and its guaranteed, whatever the price of the pups or counter argument.

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 07 Sep 2007, 09:46

mhayhurst wrote:
If everyone were as caring and concerned for other people as they are of their dogs (in fact of dogs who are completely unknown to them even) then what a different society we would have ;)

Mark
Mark, you are the voice of reason here - such a very, very true statement indeed. :(

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 07 Sep 2007, 10:23

Carole g wrote:stick a child in the picture and its guaranteed, whatever the price of the pups or counter argument.
Funny because when I look at epupz and I see young children in adverts I automatically think it smacks of desperation to sell and I would avoid them at all costs!

Furians

Post by Furians » 07 Sep 2007, 12:49

May i ask then why do so many people on their websites have ooodle of pictures of their doodles with kids and family?
I understand what you are saying as some people get friends kids just to stand with the pups and say "used to kids" when in fact it's probably only the first time they have ever met one!
Which sadly is why some dogs end up being rehomed.
But in some circumstances like mine, my daughter when not at school, loves to help me clean up the puppies, weigh them, etc etc. Beau loves my daughter to bits and enjoys having her in her box fussying over her. So they truly are used to a children.
I was sharing photos and she like most kids loves to have it taken and as i thought it was a lovely pic i shared it.