topic updates now moved

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
claire fifi

Re: Our First New litter of Blues???

Post by claire fifi » 07 Sep 2007, 12:54

Carole g wrote:Your "take", Mark, is the only "take" there is and you have, despite loving your own dog, absolutely no experience of the world of dog breeding.
The UKLA is not, as most view it, a breed club web site, but the personal blog that has grown way too big.
For heaven's sake, Mark, set up a small committee of those with experience in your breed and VOTE on how this site should be run.
It is, as it stands, a disaster and you lack the experience in dog sales to understand why. Breeders know that once people come to see a puppy, they will 9/10 buy the pup, whatever the circumstances, and however dreadful the breeder. These puppy pictures serve the same purpose, they will sell the litter, stick a child in the picture and its guaranteed, whatever the price of the pups or counter argument.

Carole - I made this point recently. As I understand it, Mark is quite happy to continue running the show on his own. I also suggested that he change the Forum name -IMHO, UKLA certainly IMPLIES there is some governing body or committee - don't you think ? :!:
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 07 Sep 2007, 13:19

Furians wrote:May i ask then why do so many people on their websites have ooodle of pictures of their doodles with kids and family?
I understand what you are saying as some people get friends kids just to stand with the pups and say "used to kids" when in fact it's probably only the first time they have ever met one!
Which sadly is why some dogs end up being rehomed.
But in some circumstances like mine, my daughter when not at school, loves to help me clean up the puppies, weigh them, etc etc. Beau loves my daughter to bits and enjoys having her in her box fussying over her. So they truly are used to a children.
I was sharing photos and she like most kids loves to have it taken and as i thought it was a lovely pic i shared it.
I think it is a beautiful pic - thanks for sharing it ... I too have taken pics of my pups with my kids - silly me for thinking this is a natural thing to do lol. :roll:

why do some people have to shed a negative light on everything ? :(

Furians

Post by Furians » 07 Sep 2007, 14:05

ok you guys i get that some of you disagree with the decision i made. That Fine but is mud slinging really the best course of action?
I ask you though what about all those "good breeders" who's stud dogs and show dogs are NOT up to date with their vaccinations, is this one of the causes of the massive rise in Hepititus? I could give you a list longer than your arm, these dogs at MAJOR shows unvaccinated, every one touching them and then going home to their beloved pet is this right???NO WAY. it should be like cats you have to bring your vaccination card with you and you get a vetting in card to show that your dog is clear to enter the show.
GOD Pedigree dog people would be up in arms over it.
I spoke to quite a few "good breeders" and asked about the vaccinations and the majority of answers were "he doesn't go anywhere" and only vaccinated bitches are allowed to use him.
NO way would i use such a dog, my choice, their decision.
Has anyone checked through their KC breed supplements and looked at the ages of some of the bitches in their, now you can not tell me every one of them was in the same position i was and what about the "oops" mating, over looked, it's pedigree it happens, yeah right!!!
Just a few issues i do not agree with. You have choices, you make them be it right or wrong to some one else.
I neither condone or critise, it's their choice their dog and they know their dogs better than any of us who may want and feel the need to judge!

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 07 Sep 2007, 14:41

I admit to being confused here and I'm kicking myself for ever getting involved in a post like this... I'm not really sure whether the comments about kids is directed at me or Carole G.... And why the hell I'm getting defensive I dont know either but being cooped up at home for 24 hours of every day with a computer for company will do that to you... Anyhow all I meant is that I dont like to see kids in adverts for pups... me personally... It was not a carte blanche comment about ever having pictures with kids... :evil:

Anna Costaire

Post by Anna Costaire » 07 Sep 2007, 15:42

Hey Gilly dont worry. Like you I'm confused. Not sure how a normal thread giving good news and lovely pics of a happy, health bitch and her pups, has diversified into what seems like outright war! I love seeing pics of children and pup/dogs together - keep them coming guys please.

Would like to add that in the 'dark ages' when I did a 'little' breeding for my own pleasure, things were very different. Bitches - on vet advice - were to have their first litters from their second season (whenever this occurred, usually at 1 year almost spot on). They were then to have two more litters - missing a season between each mating - before being retired from breeding. There was no talk of hip scores or eye tests or the like. If one was sensible one chose a stud dog for temperament almost above his pedigree. But it was considered the correct thing for a bitch to have one litter at a year to eighteen months for her health and mental state.
My German Shepherd had just the one litter, as she was the family dog, and I let home to get married soon after. My JR had three litters, all the pups finding brill homes and all staying in touch. My Great Dane also had three litters - 13, 11, and 9 pups. With her I went to a breeder for pedigree advice as to the stud that I should use form the point of view of not using one related to my bitch. But this was my only precaution. All the pups survived and like my others found brill homes and most stayed in touch.
To the present day and M the doodle. I put off breeding from M earlier as I felt she was mentally too young at her second season (18months), then there were plans for us to make a big move halfway across the country (which when we actually did it, took 3 months to complete with two households and all the animals). Then I read on here of all the tests she will have to undergo before anyone will let me use an experienced stud (not blaming anyone for this, we test incoming mares using our stallions), and have now decided that a) she's too old at 3 years, and b) I couldnt subject her to all the tests. Neither will I subject her to being speyed (really bad experience at a vets I once used). So am I now left with a sweet and loving friend who may well suffer some dreadful disease through non-breeding or non-speying? Or will I be lucky and she will live out her life free from 'trouble' as have others that I have owned that for one reason or another, have not been bred from?

I'll hope on the luck.

Anna and M
Thank you for ten and a half years of love, loyalty and happiness. 14/2/04-5/8/14.
R.I.P my sweet girl - always in my heart. xx

Furians

Post by Furians » 07 Sep 2007, 17:14

hiya,
thats what i was thinking, i was just here sharing my pics of mum and pups and it turned into a witch hunt......
I would like to continue sharing my lovely pics of mum and pups and everythig else but in fear of attack on every move i make i don't think it would be a good idea sadly, the few ruin it for the many.
I wish you all the best with you bitch and hope you never have any problems, no doubt she'll be a great buddy for the rest of her life.
Peta

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Sep 2007, 17:49

Oh please keep posting pics, it's lovely to see puppies and that you have taken the time and trouble to post. I'm so sorry that you have had such a hard time, IMO there are far worse things going on in the breeding world than breeding a bitch too young. :cry: At least you have been honest from the start. :D

Edited due to my poor spelling :oops:
Last edited by LouBeale on 07 Sep 2007, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 07 Sep 2007, 18:06

^^ Absolutely!!! Don't worry about the negative stuff from previously. Whats done is done, and I think you'll find most of us would love to see how your pups progress!!

Like Lou said - there are FAR worse things going on in the world of breeding, and as long as you are doing what is best for your bitch and her pups now, thats the important thing. Lets end this witch hunt, people can agree to disagree, and if they don't like what Furians has done, then it may be better to stay out of the thread. :wink:

Now - puppy pics please!! :D

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

magnolia

Post by magnolia » 07 Sep 2007, 18:20

LouBeale wrote:Oh please keep posting pics, it's lovely to see puppies and that you have taken the time and trouble to post. I'm so sorry that you have had such a hard time, IMO there are far worst things going on in the breeding world than breeding a bitch too young. :cry: At least you have been honest from the start. :D
My very final post on this is;
if thier are worst things in many of your opiniens than breeding from a young bitch -that is fine (in your opiniens not mine!).
if you beleive the reason to breed this bitch with her problems no matter the health risks is fine -ok (again your opiniens not mine!).

but i would just like to ask one final quesation -

if Furians did this for the welfare of her bitch why not use a pet Goldie(maybe if she couldnt get a KC one even use a unregistered one) as we all know thier are always dogs available.
She could have then had a lovely litter of pet goldies which she could off sold for £250/£300.

But why use a Poodle and then decide to charge FROM £850 upwards for these puppies?

I will leave that decicion upto all of you on this forum to make for yourselfs :?

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Sep 2007, 18:30

Magnolia, I'm afraid I see all your posts as very negative and attacking. Why shouldn't she breed a litter of goldendoodles? After all, they are more in demand than many other breeds! Yes, perhaps the price is a little steep, but that is down to the individual and the market. If they were too cheap, certain people might think they were defective (sadly that is the way people think).

Hopefully most potential buyers have a price set for what they are prepared to pay, I certainly did, and I charged accordingly, my pups were sold £650. As I still have a pup left from my last litter, I am selling him for £350 but will happily keep him if no special home comes up.

Whilst I disagree with bitches being bred too young and every season, I think certain people have jumped on this thread for the wrong reasons. If these pups are being well cared for and loved as well as their mum, perhaps the finger should be pointed elsewhere!

http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =11&t=4105
Last edited by LouBeale on 07 Sep 2007, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 07 Sep 2007, 18:36

To be honest, it has nothing to do with me, or you for that matter, what Furians chose to breed from.

She said she chose a Poodle whom they knew the history of very well. Perhaps she doesn't know any other Goldies. Perhaps she wanted to use a dog whose family she knew well. Perhaps she chose this dog because she knows his temperament. Perhaps she did it because she can charge more for Doodles than Goldies.
Who knows. Not you, or I really. Only Furians.

I think you'll find that many people here agree with your opinion about breeding from a young bitch. But does that require the witch hunt that has ensued? I think not.

I for one am not here to judge her or question her reasoning. I have stated how I feel and that is that. I am adult enough to be able to state my opinon and then continue with a civil tongue in my head. I would still love to see how her pups progress, and I fail to see the point in trying to alienate her.

As long as she is doing the very best by her bitch and pups now, I and many others will not partake in this slanging match. :roll:

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

Furians

Post by Furians » 07 Sep 2007, 20:00

magnolia wrote:
if Furians did this for the welfare of her bitch why not use a pet Goldie(maybe if she couldnt get a KC one even use a unregistered one) as we all know thier are always dogs available.
She could have then had a lovely litter of pet goldies which she could off sold for £250/£300.

So hang on a mo, you and a few other went mental at me and now your saying use a boy that was unregistered with no health testing nothing, just what the hell lets just mate her!!!!!
So i'm so annoyed, as that is totally irrisponsable behaviour and to even mention doing such a thing is downright WRONG!!!!!
As stated before on NUMEROUS occasions alot of thought and mental arguments went into just having this litter.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

hiya Lainey74 , i do know the boy and yes temperament is paramount for my puppies, as we want them to grow up happy healthy and loved by others as much as we do. i want to start off on the right track so we decided that the pups will be microchipped, wormed, frontlined KC registered, insured, vet checked and the usual Royal Canin puppy pack before they leave us.
If i had a tested goldie boy available to me sorry to say (as this is a doodle forum(and i love them too))i would of probably used him, less backlash from people i think
In a couple of years time she will be going to one. If her seasons are sorted out, if not i can put my hand on my heart and say we've tried to rectify the problem, as advised by the vet, she will be spayed :cry:

Furians

Post by Furians » 08 Sep 2007, 10:47

well having read ALL of the posts i thought i might continue with their progress.
Puppies are just standing up, well wobbling up i think is more apropriate, one's eyes are just opening but they have all found their voices!!!

KatePotter

Post by KatePotter » 08 Sep 2007, 11:03

claire fifi wrote:Image
The Doodle above is lovely, we're hoping Lola will turn out similar

Furians

Post by Furians » 08 Sep 2007, 11:09

NOW that just a face you could squish with hugs all day!
excuse my ignorance, is she a ladradoodle or a golden doodle?

Someone did say to me if you shave their noses you can sometimes see what the eventual colour they will be, obviously i am refering to the silver/blue issue