patio vs lawn

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
grainne

patio vs lawn

Post by grainne » 06 Sep 2007, 21:01

At the moment I have patio and a lawn area. Louie gets to play on grass a lot of the day as there is a large garden at my mums and lots of parks nearby- I was thinking for sake of easy maintenance to re-patio over most of my garden leaving a only a very small lawn area- do you think the courtyard style garden is better or worse for dogs? I like the idea of being able to find their poo more easily! But Louie does lay out on the grassy bits rather than the patio....

Any ideas?!

xxx

KateW

Re: patio vs lawn

Post by KateW » 06 Sep 2007, 21:16

Hi Grainne

We have a courtyard town garden where grass is not a sensible option and it has never bothered any of our dogs.From time to time when I redesign the garden we have had artificial grass-which nowadays looks very good-usually cut into a circle.This is fine as long as the dog doesn't pee on it-it does start to smell then even if hosed down. Rufus is trained to do p&c in a specific corner which works quite well.

So I would do what you want and think looks best.Rufus has a "spare" piece of vet bed and takes this out sometimes to lie on-although he prefers a large armchair.......

Personally I think a small lawn is just not worth the work or the equipment necessary to maintain it.When we once had a very large lawn, I found that the dogs always wanted to be around us so were flopping about on the terrace anyway.

Katherine
ImageImage

bigv_and_benji

Post by bigv_and_benji » 06 Sep 2007, 21:32

We dont have any grass what so ever that benji can freely play on but have a large concrete driveway. This could be the reason he goes bonkers on grass. :D. Its good though for picking up poo cos you can just pick it up and then scrub the area and its all gone no remains left like in the grass.
http://www.labradoodlebenji.piczo.com
Benjis adventures in the big wide world

bluekat

Post by bluekat » 06 Sep 2007, 21:49

we have a top patio and large cobbled courtyard and no grass. it's much more convenient for keeping it clean-ish. We keep a watering can to hand to wash over when they wee. It's great not to have to hunt the dog poo in the long grass, because we'd be too busy/lazy to mow and clean mower and all that.

we did a bit of problem with weeds between the cobbles, and sprayed before we got new puppy. Of course we can't spray it again because he chews everything.
if paving is well laid with concrete mortar this shouldn't be a problem. The grouting was done poorly on our patio and the cobbles are over 150 yrs old so hardly surprising there's a few weeds.

I did wonder if the high steps from one level to another might be high impact on hip and front leg joints.

We have a wild patch in the corner which the dogs love climbing over, and Pablo climbs on the plants pots and nibbles the plants - but that's jsut puppy behaviour. :roll:

The best spot is the drain cover which gets really hot in the sun, and whoever is top dog of the day gets to lie on that :D .

Interested in the artificial grass, not for the dogs but for my son ( who has Asperger son), he feels it's not a real garden without grass. Where do you get it from and how much does it cost?

KateW

Post by KateW » 06 Sep 2007, 21:56

If you google artificial grass you will get a wide selection of suppliers-you can get it at some garden centres.You do get what you pay for-the expensive ones look and feel like grass,cheaper ones look ok but feel prickly.It needs to be either stuck down or cut to shape which is what I did and put somewhere you can pile pebbles,pots etc around it so you don't see the joins.....

Katherine
ImageImage

The Royles

Post by The Royles » 07 Sep 2007, 00:52

bluekat wrote:........................we did a bit of problem with weeds between the cobbles, and sprayed before we got new puppy. Of course we can't spray it again because he chews everything.........................
Google "weed wand" 8)

grainne

Post by grainne » 07 Sep 2007, 07:42

ah thanks everyone thats really interesting!

When I attack in next spring I'll post up before and after photos!!

xxx

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 07 Sep 2007, 09:57

We have both so i can see the grass benefits and the patio too. Mac is allowed to roam freely in the gated slab area but does insist on pooing on the stones that surround it. The recommendation i would give is slabs are fine but not stones as you pick up the poo and it takes half the stones with it :lol: :lol: :lol: He also keeps down the weeds himself as they are attacked whenever they grow :D
On the other hand its a real priviledge to be able to let him run freely in the garden without going along to a park. i know i am very lucky to have the garden we have (except when it comes to weeding :twisted: )

KateW

Post by KateW » 07 Sep 2007, 14:24

Fiona, do you mean Mac will run around the garden by himself?We have never had a dog who self exercises and even when we had a very big garden,the dog was always at my side and we had to go into the country for proper exercise.I actually enjoy walking Rufus in the park and the gardens as he meets so many people and dogs.

Having said that Rufus may well be the only dog who would have made the most of our big garden but it would have driven me mad as it was rather lovely and all done by me.....

Katherine
ImageImage