help with grooming

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
debs43

help with grooming

Post by debs43 » 21 Sep 2007, 22:05

can anyone advice me on the best brush for grooming ziggy, hes brushed daily with rake and slicker, but i think his adult coat is coming in hes gone from a none shedding dog to one that shed quite a bit, but the main problem is his hair has started to matt at the roots, even after an hour long session of brushing, i keep finding more matts, dont want to have him clipped if i can help it but would like to find the right tool for the job, thanks

Emma

Re: help with grooming

Post by Emma » 21 Sep 2007, 22:28

Hi Debs - i fear you will eventually have to get the lot taken off. I KNOW that sounds so awful - its just I had exactly the same problems with Amos - I must have bought every tool in existence. I tried it all and to no avail. Once it starts to matt at the base youve had it. I took Amos to 3 groomers and they all told me the same thing before i finally accepted it. It all had to come off and start again.
How old is Ziggy?
This happened to Amos around 14 months and when his coat grew back it was a different texture. It was coarser and I beleive it was his puppy coat finishing and his adult coat starting that caused the problem. He never sheds so he was keeping it all in there despite the brushing.
I really hope someone here will post saying that I am wrong. Ziggy has a beautiful coat and it will be a shame - but then, it always grows back and you almost have a different dog ( in looks) for a while. And he'll be just as handsome I'm sure.
Good luck.
Amos and Emma

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 21 Sep 2007, 22:58

Have to agree, I'm showing a puppy and she is going though a particularly difficult coat change, she is groomed every day and is bathed , blown dry and groomed out again twice a week. As she is a poodle, none of the puppy coat is left on the floor but is retained in the coat and must be groomed out. Unless you have a specific reason to keep the coat on, like showing or use in advertisement and have the time, experience and patience to deal with it and a pup that is happy to be groomed it is simply not worthwhile. Regular grooming simply will not stop the matting, which starts in tiny little mats close to the skin. It is only really possible to manage it with frequent bathing, the correct shampoo for the coat, conditioning, and possibly putting the coat in oil. The upside is that the worst coat changes often lead to the best adult coat.
I would recommend that you have him clipped very short all over and enjoy life together without fighting the mats. None of my pup's siblings are kept in a long coat but are trimmed very short. You may well be able to grow the coat later.
Last edited by Carole g on 21 Sep 2007, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 21 Sep 2007, 23:01

Debs, I'm having the same probs with the boys too :cry:

I've just spent another hour trying to get rid of some matts in Roger's fur, while OH has been raking and slickering Dylan. I've snipped through the bigger ones of Roger's, then got a matt buster to them. I am getting there, but he just keeps sighing, as if to say, go away Mum, I'm trying to have a snooze :(

Does anyone know of any miracle spray on detanglers, or ways of getting them out without stressing the pooch too much?
Catherine, owner of Roger & Dylan, the up and coming stud dogs ;-)

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 21 Sep 2007, 23:02

Mmmm, I was obviously typing my reply as Carole was typing hers.

That was sooo not what i wanted to hear, Dylan's coat in particular is his crowning glory :cry:

amber

Post by amber » 21 Sep 2007, 23:07

I know this is a different view point, but i always use Viacutan, bought from the vets.
It is High gamma linolenic acid, or (GLA)
It is an essential fatty acid supplement which has helped me keep the coats nice.
All you do is put a little on their food. It may help with grooming, it certainly seems to keep the coat looking nice
Amber

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 21 Sep 2007, 23:10

Sorry I didnt read your post until after I had posted. There are detangling sprays but they soak the coat and I bath the dog after

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 21 Sep 2007, 23:23

Oh Carole, sorry, I wasn't having a go, I just meant that I really didn't want to hear that the best solution to the problem was to have them clipped, although I probably know in my heart of hearts that it is :?

Think I may give a detangler a whirl before I give up though :wink:

What are you going to do Debs? Persevere or go for the clip?

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 21 Sep 2007, 23:28

I knew you werent " having a go" It is frustrating particularly if the coat looks gorgeous but life really does feel too short! I'm impressed at how you two spend your evenings though :lol:

kATE

Post by kATE » 21 Sep 2007, 23:57

Their coats will grow back very quickly , they won't be gone forever :lol: Iam sure they will both be happier untill they have their full adult coats , you might not recognize them for a while ,but think of those extra hours you'll have ....... to spend on the ironing :roll: ..... OK forget it ,leave their coats long ....Ironing :evil:

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 22 Sep 2007, 08:47

But won't they feel the cold now that we are nearly in October :shock:

Lol Carole, I have to say that there's not a lot else to do on a Friday evening when it's tipping it down with rain in mid Wales :roll:

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 22 Sep 2007, 09:34

Hi Debs

Were you aware that slicker brushes come in different lengths and strengths?

It may be that you're using one that is just too soft or short for your boy's coat and that its "skimming over the top" of the coat, not really penetrating down to skin where the matts start?
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Anna Costaire

Post by Anna Costaire » 22 Sep 2007, 09:42

Hi Catherine - yes it does while away those Welsh evenings doesnt it!
All this talk about coats re-growing has got me wondering what the matter is with M. She has a long scruffy coat which I manage to keep more or less ok. I have snipped off the odd matt as it appears. Trouble is that most matts seem to appear along her back and over the course of time she now has a long doodle coat 'all round' with a short doodle coat down her back - nothing seems to re-grow!! (you will see for yourself on the 7th, if the meet is still on?). So how come all your clipped doods re-grow their coats?? Answers here please....

Anna and M
Thank you for ten and a half years of love, loyalty and happiness. 14/2/04-5/8/14.
R.I.P my sweet girl - always in my heart. xx

debs43

Post by debs43 » 22 Sep 2007, 10:15

thanks for your advice, but it looks like we may have to go for the clip, zigs loves being brushed but using the rake big clumps come out so it must hurt, hes 10 months old now and i think i read somewhere that it takes up to 18 months for adult coat to come in completly so we may have to settle for a baldy dood for a few months,

carol

what spray can i use and what shampoo, someone told me not to bath him without getting the matts out first at bathing sets them

deb

choccydoodle

Post by choccydoodle » 22 Sep 2007, 10:58

Hi Debs,

I advise all my puppy folk that have the fleece and wool coated Doodles to completely clip them right back around the age of 8 months to a year. You will be fighting a losing battle trying to keep the matts under control especially with Ziggys gorgeous fleece coat. I clipped Rolo back really short when he was going through the coat change. I could brush him out from nose to tail on 1 day, then for the next day to start matting again!

Defo clip them right back...you will save yourself and Ziggy alot of wrestling and sore tugs...and it will let the adult coat come through beautifully. As Kate says...it takes hardly any time to grow back!

Goodluck! :D