help with grooming

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
annemc

Re: help with grooming

Post by annemc » 22 Sep 2007, 12:36

Hi Debs

We had Ruby clipped very short at 8 months old for the same reason (Many months ago you told me Rubys coat was the same as Ziggys) - no matter what we did the small matts were appearing everywhere underneath her puppy coat. That was almost 3 months ago and its now grown back BUT its not the same coat at all!! Its not fleecy and its much coarser, also she has lots of black patches coming through (was previously all chocolate). She still doesnt shed at all but stroking her isnt the same now that the soft fleece coat has disappeared :cry: (Strangely enough, her whole head and neck actually grew back soft and fleecy though :? ). She doesnt have any matts at all now and grooming is minimal compared to before.

debs43

Post by debs43 » 22 Sep 2007, 13:05

ann

do you have any recent photos, maybe some with clip and now its grown again

debs43

Post by debs43 » 23 Sep 2007, 17:54

on the way home from the essex doodle meet today we went to a local garden centre and the lady in the pet department suggested either thinning scissors or a shredder, both apparently remove a lot of the matts with no pain to the dog, but they were both out of stock so bought a rake with moving teeth, and low and behold it seems to work, has anyone bought thinning scissors or the shredder thing

by the way nice to see you all today

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 09 Oct 2007, 08:45

Sorry to but into your post,

I was going to ask if anyone had any solutions to get small mats out of the coat. I comb Yogi regularly, but yesterday noticed he had few wee mats on his legs. Is there a conditioner i could use after shampooing to help get them out? Or as Debs43 said has anyone heard of thinning scissors or a shredder.

Thanks
Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

Connie

Post by Connie » 09 Oct 2007, 10:09

Our Newfoundland used to get matts - they have a fleecy undercoat and then an oily top coat - and she used to moult twice a year. Each grooming session would fill two carriers full when she was moulting! The thinning scissors are fine if the dog is really well behaved - but ours used to move a lot and she did get nipped once with them. We bought a matt shredder which has blades set into it to cut through matts. The one we found was curved, with the blades set on the inside of the curve, so there was no chance of accidently catching the dogs skin with it. It worked really well at loosening the matt, which we then used to comb out.

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 09 Oct 2007, 10:17

Thanks Connie

Where did you get the matt shredder? I will look online to see if i can find one. He is getting better at lying still when getting groomed, but trying to tug away at the mats is more difficult.

Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

Connie

Post by Connie » 09 Oct 2007, 10:19

It was from the local pet supplies depot - next time I'm in there I'll check on the maker's name.

joan

Post by joan » 09 Oct 2007, 11:11

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14569949@N ... 274305651/

Ollie is nearly 10 months and he has had 2 radical cuts so far. This phot shows him 2 months after last cut.
Joan

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 10 Oct 2007, 10:06

Ollie looks fab, I saw you both on Sunday at Loch Lomond he is a big lad!!! and your other dog Bobby? think that was his name he was so sweet.

Hilli

Don't accept excuses