How long do you sleep beside the whelping box?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
jessie

How long do you sleep beside the whelping box?

Post by jessie » 25 Sep 2007, 22:27

As Jessie's "grandparents", Keith and I were wondering how long you have to sleep beside the whelping box after the pups are born before it is safe to leave them so they don't get squashed? The pups have doubled in size and are a week old today but we are still concerned that Jessie might squash them if we leave her through the night. What do other breeders do?

Barb

Re: How long do you sleep beside the whelping box?

Post by Barb » 25 Sep 2007, 23:21

I sleep by mine for the first three weeks. They are not left unattended at all during that time.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 25 Sep 2007, 23:30

I dont want to leave mine, they are very precious. I do have a really nice comfy sofa bed downstairs now (I've gone soft). I stay on that until the pup I keep lasts through the night so it can be several weeks downstairs after the other pups have flown.Its always worth it.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 26 Sep 2007, 09:38

Until I'm confident that they can't get squashed by mum. Flossy has been so brilliant and careful :D with her babies I guess I was back in our bed at about 3 weeks or there abouts. If she'd been even slightly clumsy I wouldn't have hesitated to stay down with her for longer. I guess it depends on the dog in the end eh?
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Jac

Post by Jac » 26 Sep 2007, 10:48

I'm the same - about 2-3 weeks - until I feel confident they won't get squashed or cold and they are all feeding well.
The Bear

Bean

Post by Bean » 26 Sep 2007, 12:08

Just reading all that makes you realise how much hard work and sacrifice must go into having a litter of puppies in the house, it sounds like a full time job.

Take my hat off to all of you for doing what you do and for being so passionate about your dogs, and for being good grannies! :D

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 26 Sep 2007, 12:32

So how do you stop a bitch from squashing them or do you check hourly? Lots of hard work guys...hats off

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 26 Sep 2007, 12:57

Well, No 1, there is the safety rail or shelf that lines the whelping box - the pups can go under it, mum can't squash them in a corner.

If mum does squash them accidentially they usually scream the house down and she moves pretty rapidly. But if they get stuck under some bedding and she lies on top of that, she may not hear them (or be too tired to care). Thats when the hourly check comes in.

I've known several people who swear they can "feel" the pups being squashed or in trouble, almost like a telepathic fog-horn. ... but I like to sleep next to or very close to the whelping box, just to be sure...

It is hard work. Too many people enter into it too lightly, not realising just how hard it is. Then the pups can run you ragged from dawn til dusk! I reckon I put in 18 hour days 7 days a week for the full 7 to 8 weeks when I have a litter. If you were stupid enough to break it down to an £ hourly rate, you'd soon work out that you'd be better off stacking shelves at Tesco! (...though you wouldn't be having nearly as much fun 8) ) :!:

But I can't see it as a sacrifice because I love doing it.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 26 Sep 2007, 13:03

Sorry Leslie, as I said to you yesterday about sleeping untill you are sure they are fine, I slept with mine until they were two weeks and then had cctv with sound set up until they were about 6 weeks (and still checked on them constantly) and it looks as though most people do the same.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 26 Sep 2007, 13:12

Wow :shock:

Jac

Post by Jac » 26 Sep 2007, 13:22

It is really hard work but so enjoyable at the same time. :D :D :D
The Bear

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 26 Sep 2007, 15:06

4 weeks with a large doodle litter.

3 weeks with a small (2 pups) cavalier litter ... cav's make fantastic mums ... both my st poodles could be a bit clumsy - easy to understand when they had around 12 pups to take care of. :shock:

amber

Post by amber » 26 Sep 2007, 15:34

Yes, It is best you get a bed set up.
We all become very close to each other at this time, and I know we are all nannies to the pups, but you feel incredibly maternal, and don't really want to be anywhere else. Life changes for some time to come :D
Amber

jessie

Post by jessie » 26 Sep 2007, 20:17

Thanks everyone for your input! Keith (my better half) is actually doing the night shift as I am at work during the day - in fact come to think of it Keith is doing a lot of the work at the moment, along with my gorgeous Jessie mum of course! It was just interesting to hear what other people do - but I guess the bottom line is waiting until you feel they are big enough to not get squashed!! All I can say is I am thoroughly enjoying having my babies and find the whole thing fascinating. Aint mother nature wonderful!! Lesley

shelly

Post by shelly » 26 Sep 2007, 20:31

i think i'll still be sleeping next to mine till the last pup has 'left home' :roll:
i just can't bear to be parted from them...they are all i think about & all i talk about...is that called an obsession :?
i'm paranoid about their safety...although lottie is a fantastic mum.... but i also don't want to miss a single second of their little lives :)
the maternal feeling is so intense & the need to protect them is totally overwhelming.
i'm exhausted already & they are only 2 & a bit weeks old :!: but can honestly say i'm loving every minute :D :D
also puppy noises are a much sweeter sound than hubby's snoring :lol:
SHELLANDY DOODLES

Shelly X