Agreement for advertisers

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.

Do you agree with this

Yes
81%
No
13%
Don't Know
6%

Total votes: 83

Carole g

Re: Agreement for advertisers

Post by Carole g » 06 Oct 2007, 12:07

Some advert have you down as Dorothy and some as Thirza, which do you prefer?
Its perfectly innocent of course, I guess Dorothy is your second name, but by the time the name varies and the only contact is a mobile number, there is little certainty for the buyer. I'm sure you agree there needs to be more.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

marleydoodles

Post by marleydoodles » 06 Oct 2007, 21:26

The people who show a genuine interest and fulfil the criteria I set for my puppy owners visit me at my home on more than one occassion before they have one of my puppies. They know who I am and where I live and we exchange our information to the total satisfaction of each other. However, I reserve the right to decide to whom I give this information and when.

chilipepper

Post by chilipepper » 06 Oct 2007, 22:07

doghouse wrote:Don't ask me how, but you can divert landlines to a mobile. So you could do that if needed :)

Spot on doghouse

Really easy to do we have is on almost constantly-great for caller id-never miss a call etc etc

dial

* 21 * phone number to divert to #

costs £1.75 per month for BT landlines

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 06 Oct 2007, 23:35

So there's the answer!

Sarah Hunter-Rodwell

Post by Sarah Hunter-Rodwell » 07 Oct 2007, 17:17

Sorry Carole G I have just seen your question re phone numbers - I haven't been on the forum since posting my concern.

I do worry that by giving out too much information on the forum or elsewhere can put our dogs and pups in danger from puppy theives etc and I probably have been very naive in the past by doing this. I probably shouldn't have put my name either! but at the time felt that since I had nothing to hide and since I totally believe in what I am doing I thought, well why not be who I am. I think now it would be safer all round if I used a different name. I don't know if you pick up on things that worry you but there has been a lot more in the press etc recently about dogs and puppies being stolen, so yes I am more concerned now than I was before. I think the question about land lines v mobiles is a difficult one.
Sarah Hunter-Rodwell
Didlington Doodles
http://www.labradoodles.uk.com

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Oct 2007, 19:18

Hi Sarah, I totally agree with you when you said this.
"I had nothing to hide and since I totally believe in what I am doing I thought, well why not be who I am".

I think it is wise to put clear blue water between the respectable breeder, with nothing to hide, as you say, and the rogues, without any genuine information about themselves. I suspect the fear of puppy theft is far greater than the reality. It's never happened to me or anyone well known to me. Most of us are at home with our pups, and, as a result, pups are extremely well protected. How do you spot the rogue? Amongst other identifying features, there are lies about who they are, and twaddle about where they are. Nonsense such as Il'l meet you at such and such place and direct you, this should seriously put the buyer off!
No, you were absolutely right, you have nothing to hide... so don't hide!

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 09 Oct 2007, 23:27

As yet I have never heard of a labradoodle being stolen nor a litter of puppies if you are a good breeder the opportunity to steal a litter would be slim . I would not buy anything from anyone without a landline mobile only people are presumed "dodgy" whatever the story as said before you can divert a landline to a mobile and then to an answerphone so what is the problem I appreciate your circumstances Marley Doodles( sorry do you have a name?)But to get the Breeder section correct we have to be careful Regards Carol

marleydoodles

Post by marleydoodles » 11 Oct 2007, 12:55

As a responsible breeder I agree wholeheartedly that the breeder list has to be correct. Yes I do have a name, it is Thirza. To clear up any confusion or unease about me using my middle name Dorothy on one advert, at the time I placed the advert I couldn't get the system to accept Thirza in the contact section. If I had wanted to post this advert anonymously I am sure I would have had the common sense to a) change the advert so that it was not identical to the one on my website, b) change the photograph and c) use a different number. It was very easy to realise this was my advert and rightly so. Anyway I hope that the criteria for the breeder list can be sorted out so that it doesn't exclude any of the good breeders and achieves its purpose. Perhaps the final criteria should be decided by a group of Labradoodle breeders that have proven their worth and are known and respected by each other. Ideas and suggestions should be welcomed from all. Just an idea, hope I don't get my head chopped off !!!!!

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 11 Oct 2007, 13:03

I have know Thirza for about two years now and can tell you that she health test's all of her dogs and only breeds responsibly, we regularly chat about how we are taking our lines forward and how different things we have tried are working out in the interest of Labradoodles. I agree with Thirza that this code of ethics should now be taken over to the breeder section and discussed by the breeders, I have already suggested this in the breeder section and I urge all breeders that do not already have access to the breeder section to badger Mark until you get access so that we may all discuss it. I also do not put a land line number on my adverts as I have young children and unfortunately due to the world we are living in don't feel comfortable doing so, however I like thirza give all of my puppy owners my land line number but do not want jo blogs public to know it.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 11 Oct 2007, 13:09

I too really worry about the safety of my dogs, and we all have to do shopping and I have also got to do school runs, Debbie (Freedom) tells me far to many horror stories including one recent one where a breeder returned home to find 6 dogs missing, obviously she is making me more paranoid by the day!!!! LOL therefore I think we should all be vigilant and careful with our personal details

Sarah Hunter-Rodwell

Post by Sarah Hunter-Rodwell » 11 Oct 2007, 13:53

I too have known Thirza for about two years and totally agree with what Lisa has just said - I have also known Lisa for about the same length of time and we all chat from time to time about what we are doing, our aims and our aspirations for the labradoodle breed in this country. I think the three of us at least can be recognised as responsible, competent, caring and careful breeders with a passionate wish to produce wonderful family dogs with superb temperaments and good health testing who will hopefully go on to fulfil the role set out for them as very special four legged family friends. I for one am bowled over by the wonderful emails, photos, and telephone calls that I recieve from so many of the families that have adopted our pups, and I know the same goes for Thirza and Lisa along with some of the other good breeders on this Forum. I know that Thirza, Lisa and myself are utterly dedicated to what we are doing and I think the testamonials prove this. However, for the reasons that we have all stated I will no longer be giving out my home phone number on the internet or in the press. Obviously once I am happy with a prospective new owner then they will be given all contact details. I think this in the interests of our homes, our dogs and our families and makes complete sense. Surely those known to this Forum should not need to justify themselves, particularly on this issue.

As Thirza said:-
Anyway I hope that the criteria for the breeder list can be sorted out so that it doesn't exclude any of the good breeders and achieves its purpose. Perhaps the final criteria should be decided by a group of Labradoodle breeders that have proven their worth and are known and respected by each other. Ideas and suggestions should be welcomed from all. Just an idea, hope I don't get my head chopped off !!!!!

I totally agree with this - but what does it take to get Mark to answer a request to be allowed onto the breeders forum? I have sent him lots of messages about this but to no avail! not having a go at you Mark but my messages to you don't seem to be getting through!!

As Lisa has just proved - I dont think we should be complacent about the safety of our dogs - even if we don't personally know anyone who has had this terrible thing of dog theft happen to them. Anyway I for one think enough has been said about this so lets see what Mark comes up with - we seem to be going round in circles!!
Sarah Hunter-Rodwell
Didlington Doodles
http://www.labradoodles.uk.com

freedom

Post by freedom » 11 Oct 2007, 14:34

I expect that I speak to more breeders than most people but dog theft most certainly is a very real problem. A lady I know had eight dogs go missing two weeks ago, two returned by themselves, the six Cavaliers, one eight weeks pregnant, turned up at a neighbouring house a week later after the story was highlighted in the local papers, with added litter. Stolen ?? I am sure if six Cavaliers trotted down my path I would have been looking for the owner.
Another local person had someone come to view pups, they returned to collect a couple of weeks later, asked to use the toilet and whilst she put the dogs out the way the man ran out the front door with pup in arm, jumped into a waiting car which sped off, pup was never to be seen again.
I have more examples.

I have spoken to Thirza at length on the telephone, she is a responsible breeder who otherwise fits all of the criteria required.
I wholeheartedly agree with the proposals but sometimes it's not Black & White.

On the flip side, I personally do not like to book puppies without a landline, I am warey of someone who gives a mobile no and I always ask for the landline, however increasingly more people now only have a mobile. I had a lady call about pups from a mobile a couple of days ago, made me uneasy straight away but I have learnt not to judge immediately, turned out her son was on the landline phone, i can relate to that :x we ended up chatting for 30mins

A couple of days ago I was told the latest scam by a highly respected breeder/judge, it made me physically sick, therefore I don't think an open forum is the place to post the information but it is very worrying and the worst example of human nature I have heard for a long time. I have given poor Lisa nightmares but people need to know the reality of the world we live in.

amber

Post by amber » 11 Oct 2007, 18:27

I think we ought to re think this now too. This does sound very serious, and very worrying. So far these landline issues have not been a concern to me personally, as one of us is always here. But nobody likes to hear these awful tragedies befalling, any dog/puppies Owner. I think saftey has to be an issue.
Amber

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 11 Oct 2007, 18:48

No such incident has ever taken place, its one of those stories that has been doing the rounds for a while. A modern doggy myth.