Agreement for advertisers

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.

Do you agree with this

Yes
81%
No
13%
Don't Know
6%

Total votes: 83

PennyAli

Re: Agreement for advertisers

Post by PennyAli » 11 Oct 2007, 19:40

Well I saw something on crime watch (a while ago), where their was a lady with a child who had pups someone came to view the pups held her at knife point while they stole two pups! :shock:

amber

Post by amber » 11 Oct 2007, 20:16

OMG, :twisted: Although if that happened to me I think he would come off worse. You don't mess with me and my pups.
Amber

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 11 Oct 2007, 22:14

Of course I haven't, freedom, but I know the nightmare stiry that has been circulated, and its one of those things that has happened to a "friend". I've been told it too by respected judges etc but there seems to be no foundation for it. Thank heavens.

To the main debate though: how does it make you anymore secure once you have interviewed someone over the phone prior to a visit, that the call and appointment were made by your mobile or your landline? Of course it makes no difference. the problem is that the fear of puppy theft is used as an argument for delivering puppies and not allowing people to view the mum and litter at all. A puppy farmer's charter.

As for whether anything will be done on this site, I have serious doubts. The awful breeders who rub shoulders with the good on the puppy finder are not recognised for what they are and discredit the whole breed.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 11 Oct 2007, 23:05

HERE HERE

amber

Post by amber » 12 Oct 2007, 00:41

Any news :!: :!:

marleydoodles

Post by marleydoodles » 12 Oct 2007, 09:47

The problem of Dog Theft is very real, and serious enough for the Dogs Trust to host the second symposium held by Dog Theft Action. Identification of found dogs is still a real problem and identification is the key. Perhaps an important criteria for breeders would be to ensure that all their puppies are microchipped before they go to their new homes. I have always done this and, as an implanter, I request that myself and the registered owner are both informed if the dog is found. This does give me some peace of mind, and the owners of my puppies are always very pleased that it has been done. There is now some development in the form of retinal identification and I am watching this development with great interest. Tattooing is another form of identification used and I have had experience of this but feel microchipping is more suitable for me. I don't microchip for other people but felt it was well worth the cost and the training to be able to do this for my own puppies.

All potential owners must be able visit the home and see the litter with their mother. I allow visiting at four weeks and as many times as owners wish between then and collecting the puppy at eight weeks. This way the puppy starts to recognise the new owner and they start to form a bond in the early formative weeks. Fortunately I now have my own stud dogs and it is a real joy for everyone to be able to see all the puppies with Mum and to see Dad as well. I believe one of the criteria should definately be visiting the home and seeing Mum with the litter.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 12 Oct 2007, 19:45

100% agree on all points

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 12 Oct 2007, 21:47

Hi I also always microchip my puppies I am also qualified and insured to do so it is the least you can do. I only do my own or friends litters. People usually only visit from 4 weeks onwards but if they come any earlier they are allowed to look from a distance but not touch as you cannot be too careful for infection. I have seen somewhere on here but I cannot find it to quote where there is a picture of a newborn puppy being licked by another dog one of the pups subsequently died this isnt good as the bitch could reject the puppy because of the smell of another dog or the pup could catch something even if it is your own dog vaccinated etc and never been off your own ground disease can spread through vermin and birds into your own garden.

amber

Post by amber » 12 Oct 2007, 21:52

There are lots of risks to vulnerable new life, but i don't know how we could stop the birds coming in our garden.
Amber :shock:

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 13 Oct 2007, 11:43

Carol, I so agree, there is little reason for pups to go out at all before 4 weeks. Isn't nature wonderful, Mum usually prevents anyone but the human carers coming into the whelping box when pups are very tiny and she is absolutly right. They are HER babies and she is protecting them from harm and infection. At 3 weeks they can be seen but its later than that to handle and if mum is still protective at 3 weeks then there will be no viewing for a few more days. Mums seem to suddenly decide that the other dogs can see the pups and then it is allowed.
I have mine microchipped at their vet nspection at 71/2 weeks which is of course after many pups have already gone to their new homes. I think identification is vital but with absolute refusal to agree on it, it didnt seem wise to make it part of the agreement, I wish it was.

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 13 Oct 2007, 11:56

I have seen somewhere on here but I cannot find it to quote where there is a picture of a newborn puppy being licked by another dog one of the pups subsequently died this isnt good as the bitch could reject the puppy because of the smell of another dog or the pup could catch something even if it is your own dog vaccinated etc and never been off your own ground disease can spread through vermin and birds into your own garden.
May I ask what you clean your bitches feet with when they come in from the garden then Carol? :lol: I'm presuming your bitches are allowed out to relieve themselves when they've got a litter on the ground ... ? :?:

If the picture you're talking about is the same one I'm thinking of, I think you'll find it here, near the bottom http://www.barleors-labradoodles.co.uk/2007Puppies.html.

Just so there's absolutely no possibility of confusion, the puppy that died was not the puppy that is being licked in the picture and to insinuate that it probably died because of this is a tad unfair when you don't actually know the facts. David is a truly remarkable JRT and he has played the vital role of "dad" to every litter that's been born here. This includes 3 litters of kittens... There was never a chance that his presence or smell would ever cause Flossy to reject any of her puppies, else she would not have allowed him to be there. We all know that the puppies are covered by maternal antibodies whilst they are still feeding from mum - those of you that still vaccinate recognise the futility of vaccinating prior to 6 weeks as the maternal antibodies will negate the hoped-fore effects of the vaccine. So I see no problem in letting a dog that is going to share the home that the mother of the puppies lives in and that the puppies are born into anyway from interacting with them - with the bitches permission of course. In this case, and with David only, Flossy has given permission. George and Hermione still get short shrift if they even glance in the direction of the whelping box. In fact, its most comical watching them pass it deliberately looking the other way!! :lol:

Are you advocating that the bitch is segregated from everyone and everything after whelping, and if so - how long for?

And Carole g - have I missed something here - who said anything about puppies being out before 4 weeks???
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Woolly

Post by Woolly » 13 Oct 2007, 14:20

Katie Rourke wrote: May I ask what you clean your bitches feet with when they come in from the garden then Carol? :lol: I'm presuming your bitches are allowed out to relieve themselves when they've got a litter on the ground ... ? :?:
Miss Rourke, I believe Carol Shaw's dogs live OUTSIDE. A photo of Otto 'posing' in what I assume is his luxurious accommodation can be seen towards the bottom of the home page of Carol Shaw's website http://www.stonecellarslabradoodles.com/

Looks nice doesn't it?

Unless of course the bitches are allowed to live in the home for some comfort when they have a litter :?
~ knitted using genuine Australian merino wool ~
http://www.australianservicepuppets.co.uk

grainne

Post by grainne » 13 Oct 2007, 14:40

from the Stonecellars Website

Labradoodles are not a breeding accident, in Australia some years ago someone came up with the idea of being able to have a GUIDE DOG which would be suitable for people with allergies.....so the two breeds were joined and out came the Labradoodle!!! The dogs have a coat that does not give off the dandy which exaserbates allergies, and the coat does not shed as other breeds do, the wool is so much easier to manage and those house proud people among you who are desperate for a dog but without the shedding........ your dreams have been answered.

Does this just need updating?

xxx

Woolly

Post by Woolly » 13 Oct 2007, 14:48

grainne wrote:from the Stonecellars Website

Labradoodles are not a breeding accident, in Australia some years ago someone came up with the idea of being able to have a GUIDE DOG which would be suitable for people with allergies.....so the two breeds were joined and out came the Labradoodle!!! The dogs have a coat that does not give off the dandy which exaserbates allergies, and the coat does not shed as other breeds do, the wool is so much easier to manage and those house proud people among you who are desperate for a dog but without the shedding........ your dreams have been answered.

Does this just need updating?

xxx
Carol is aware of this and has said more than once that she would have the allergy information on her website updated when the lady who does her website for her comes back from holiday (or something like that). First time she said she would update must have been at least 6 months ago :roll:

Perhaps it's just the home page that has been slightly updated?

And this from a breeder who has been breeding Labradoodles for ten years. Tsk Tsk :roll:
~ knitted using genuine Australian merino wool ~
http://www.australianservicepuppets.co.uk

Juliette

Post by Juliette » 13 Oct 2007, 14:57

You only have to look at the Stonecellers website, then compare it with the Barleors site. There's no comparison in my mind. Ummm, clean plump scrummy puppies on spotless vetbeds and sheepskins vs a dog that looks like he's in a junk yard - is that wire even safe?

Keep your chin up Katie. I've only just got back from holiday so I've not had a chance to read all of your blog. I'm sorry that one of the puppies died and I can't believe someone who keeps their dogs in such appalling conditions is daring to suggest your methods of rearing had anything to do with it. :evil:

I knew Flossy would have them as soon as I left! When can I come over and see them? PM me please!