Very worried about Freya

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
amber

Very worried about Freya

Post by amber » 20 Oct 2007, 23:20

I am very worried
Freya ate a half a sock this morning.
This is nothing too unusual, as she did it full time some months back. Before she has always been sick, but there has been no sickness. The thing is now she keeps asking to go out. I think she has tummy ache, and I am very concerned
Amber
N

KateW

Re: Very worried about Freya

Post by KateW » 20 Oct 2007, 23:26

How worrying for you,Amber.Do hope Freya will be feeling better soon.This happened to Eileen's Molly a little while ago-did you read the thread?Apparently she excreted it but it took a few days....from memory it was a whole sock.

Katherine
ImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 20 Oct 2007, 23:30

OMG. :oops: :shock:
I hope shes going to be Ok, Shes my big baby :(
Amber

Lottie'n'Alfie

Post by Lottie'n'Alfie » 21 Oct 2007, 09:36

Oh Amber,

It's a worry isn't it - I bet you can't take your eyes off her. Just keep having a gentle feel at her tummy and if she appears to be in any discomfort, I would get her to the vets just in case the sock has blocked the gut. Watch out for normal bowel movements - if she's going ok then I wouldn't worry, but if she hasn't been for an abnormal length of time again, I think I would get to the vets.

Keep us posted

charlotte
x
"Alfie's eyes are like currents in an eccles cake"

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 21 Oct 2007, 10:44

Yes, Molly has swallowed a whole sock twice. The first time, it was weeks before she sicked it up - whole :roll: The second time, just recently, it was only a matter of days before she sicked it up - again whole. She didn't seem to suffer any tummy ache or anything. My vet also said just keep checking that she is pooing ok - if not, then the sock could be causing a bit of a blockage.

2 days ago, she stole a shoe, extracted the lace, and it was half way down her gullet when I caught the other end and pulled it out :roll: What is it with doodles and feet/socks/shoes/laces :?: :?: :?:

I hope Freya is ok - I am sure you will take her to your vet if you are worried - but hopefully, the sock will reappear from one end or another :wink:

Ei
x

becky.q

Post by becky.q » 21 Oct 2007, 10:55

Daisy regularly eats socks :( . I do try and stop her but she is so damn fast. They vary to how fast they come back out. She managed to keep one inside for nearly 2 weeks.

Becky

Treacletoffee

Post by Treacletoffee » 21 Oct 2007, 12:58

Do try and not let your dogs get to socks, easier said than done I know. My sister had a young dog who ate socks one got lodged in his intestines and had to be operated on, he did it again and it killed him, so PLEASE BE AWARE THERE ISNT ALWAYS A HAPPY ENDING. Best try and avoid the situation arising.
Doodling good in Cornwall
I shudder to think of a world without doods !!

jags

Post by jags » 21 Oct 2007, 13:07

on this diet i could eat half a sock too :D

archies ate a couple of socks he has threw them up and also pooed one out just watch her if after a few days nothing has happened i wood seek the vets

good luck :)

(mmm wheres the other half)

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 21 Oct 2007, 13:10

Appreciate the warning, Treacletoffee. I was extremely alarmed the first time Molly swallowed a whole sock, and my vet explained the possible risks, and what to watch out for, but also the strong likelihood that the sock would emerge at some stage. I think the fact that Molly has only (so far :roll: ) managed to swallow 2 is testament to the fact that I am very very careful to try to ensure she has no access to socks.

becky.q

Post by becky.q » 21 Oct 2007, 13:30

I too am very careful with socks, but unfortunately with kids and a dude that likes to pinch things off of the washing line I am sometimes beaten. If I see she has got a sock I will do my best to get it off of her, but she quickly swallows it. I have even put my fingers down her throat before to retrieve them. I have spoke to the vets about my concerns to be told that they once had to medicate a dog that had OCD and would seek socks out.
Last edited by becky.q on 21 Oct 2007, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 21 Oct 2007, 13:57

Beccy, tell me about it!!! There is only me and Molly, and I find it hard enough to keep her away from socks! Don't know what I'd do if I had young children too!! And thankfully, Molly hasn't tried to get them off the washing line - the last one she ate was a stray in the washing basket - I had put all the others straight from washing machine to tumble dryer to keep them out of her reach - but she spotted the stray one when I was hanging out the rest of the washing. And, like Daisy, she is quick as a flash, a couple of gulps and it's gone!

Like you, I do all I can to minimise the risk of her getting hold of one, but really I would love to know of a solution - I can get her to "leave" most other things, even a juicy marrow bone! - but she completely ignores me when it comes to socks.

grainne

Post by grainne » 21 Oct 2007, 14:22

Bloody socks!

And my bras- I'm getting better at making sure they are were he cant get them!

xxx

KateW

Post by KateW » 21 Oct 2007, 14:38

How is Freya today,Amber?

Katherine
ImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 21 Oct 2007, 16:34

Thanks for your concerns Ladies, I apreciate it. Freya went to the vet today.
And at the moment can't find any intestinal blockages. But i have to keep a close eye on her.
Becki; Freya gets the sox of the line

Ei; she also sneaks around the wash basket, even if it is put out the way. She is tall, you see. :roll:

Kate thanks for thinking of us. :)

Treacle toffee, i know where you are coming from, but its not a perfect world. And if you are critical of people that have problems with their dogs and pups, they will be less likely to want to seek advice, which would be awful. But thanks for your concern
Amber
Ps i will keep you all informed :)

amber

Post by amber » 21 Oct 2007, 17:18

Guys, wev'e just found the sock 8)
I will spare you the details :oops: :mrgreen:
Thanks all
Amber :)