How do we stop our Doodle eating our Cocker's Poo !!!!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Trudi

How do we stop our Doodle eating our Cocker's Poo !!!!!!

Post by Trudi » 23 Oct 2007, 16:03

Lexis has taking to eating Wilburs Poo :evil: and on a few occasions when walking around the local dog field she's eating other dogs Poo :evil: :twisted:

What is the best why to stop it,they are both fed on Burns and I seem to recall posts about dogs on Burns eating their Poo!!!!

Barneyboy

Re: How do we stop our Doodle eating our Cocker's Poo !!!!!!

Post by Barneyboy » 23 Oct 2007, 18:53

Try reducing the amount of Burns the Cocker gets, dogs eat poo for loads of reasons, and it may be the Burns is so good, the dogs gut is passing it through partially undigested.

Kath

Post by Kath » 24 Oct 2007, 11:00

The trainer at puppy classes said it was because the poo is full of protein, and they love that :shock:

His suggestion is a little harsh, but it may work, he said to full a bottle with a small amount of washing up liquid, lemon juice and water and when you catch them 'in the act' squirt the poo with the solution, apparently they shouldn't do it again. He also said that mustard works in replacement of the washing up liquid.

Roxy eats horse poo, the fresher the better, it's gross!

amber

Post by amber » 24 Oct 2007, 14:53

Horse poo is riddled with lung worm, So I try to stop this in the tracks.
Its true that dogs do eat other animals poo. They do grow out of it though. They actually like to eat it, because of the protein, but try to stop this as they will reinfest themselves with worms.
Could you add some Nature diet to the Burns, to add some interest, but not to
the cockers food for now though :mrgreen: :|
Last edited by amber on 25 Oct 2007, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 25 Oct 2007, 20:55

I thought it was only Donkeys who were susceptible to lung worm?

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 Oct 2007, 21:26

A spaniel I meet out walking has had lungworm this summer - it really took it out of him & he was poorly for ages. He's back to full strength now though :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

amber

Post by amber » 25 Oct 2007, 21:44

Apparently Milbermax worming tabs covers it, But i think it can take hold very quiclky if left.
Very nasty,
:twisted: Amber

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 26 Oct 2007, 12:45

I must say that in my experience dogs/pups do seem more inclined to eat their own poo (or that of dogs fed on burns) .... I can only assume that this is because it is so rich in goodness .... but whatever, I stopped using it for the above reason as it is not a habit I wish to tolerate.
My advice would be to go out with the dog every time they go to the loo and always ensure that there is no poo around - ie. I would put the two dogs out to the loo separately and clean up immediately. Prevention seems to be the only way to success in my experience ... eventually, if they are not getting the opportunity to do it, the habit will be broken.

I would just like to add though, that Labradors (aka walking stomachs :mrgreen: ) are renowned for eating poo and so it could well be the labrador in your doodle that makes her do it .... most labs will eat anything !

amber

Post by amber » 26 Oct 2007, 12:54

Would agree with picking up immediately Too.
Our oldest dog, Amber, Chinese crested Powder puff :lol:, used to dig up the cat poo in the garden :x Thankfully she grew out of it, but not before we were both completely disgusted. :mrgreen:
Amber