eating stones

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
kats

eating stones

Post by kats » 05 Nov 2007, 19:21

hi
would like to give Evie (9 weeks old) more of a free reign to play in the garden but only problem is we have a lot of stones in the garden - the previous owners of the house went for shingle borders in a big way! i seem to spend all my time fishing them out of her mouth.
should i just be letting her get on with it so she looses her fascination with them and stops feeling impelled to chomp on every single one she sees?

any advice welcome
Kats and Evie x
Image Image
Some blindness is PREVENTABLE, all parents need clear Eye certificates. Don't accept excuses.

groover

Re: eating stones

Post by groover » 05 Nov 2007, 20:04

no advise I'm afraid. just empathy.
i spend every garden venture fishing things out of herbies mouth and he's 14 weeks now. I'm hoping that as he can now get out for a walk the obsession will wear off.

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 05 Nov 2007, 21:16

It wears off. Mac was awful for weeks :shock: Just keep a very close eye on her.

kats

Post by kats » 05 Nov 2007, 22:04

thanks Fiona.
is it dangerous if she swallows any of the tiny ones? am just wondering if it is my constant taking them away from her which is making her want them more.
Kats and Evie x
Image Image
Some blindness is PREVENTABLE, all parents need clear Eye certificates. Don't accept excuses.

amber

Post by amber » 05 Nov 2007, 22:12

Oh, Kats, i'm afraid it would be dangerous. But she will grow out of it.. Keep an eye on her out there, and give her a large plastic milk carton, keeps them occupied for a while anyway
Amber

bluekat

Post by bluekat » 05 Nov 2007, 22:19

in what way is it dangerous?
surely small stones pass through the digestion?
(My son swallowed a 2p piece when he was toddler and it come out t'other very shiny! :mrgreen: )

A pet shop owner told me that labs are obsessed with eating stones, earth etc.

Pablo likes to mouth stones, rather like chewing gum, suppose he must consume some. we've got a very stony garden too.

amber

Post by amber » 05 Nov 2007, 22:23

Wellm i'm sorry, but it would be dangerous. I most certainly wouldn't want mine outside swallowing stones. Have sense Blue kat
Amber

linda l

Post by linda l » 05 Nov 2007, 22:24

Tilly was the same..every time she went into the garden she came in crunching :roll: all I did was take them off her and wait till she had something else then throw them back. It lasted a very short time and now she doesnt seem that bothered about them. As previoulsy said just keep an eye on her and dont try and chase her for them as it becomes a game, Tilly was quite good at swap for a treat or get a toy out and make her want to do something else. Good luck. (you will eyes in the back of your head tho)

kats

Post by kats » 05 Nov 2007, 22:29

thanks - that's all i needed to know. will keep fishing them out of her mouth - she is very sneaky and even though i think i have cleared them all out of the way she still manages to get any i've missed :? as i say i was just worried that i was over worrying and wondered if i let her have the miniscule ones it would break the fascination. :D
Last edited by kats on 05 Nov 2007, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Kats and Evie x
Image Image

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 05 Nov 2007, 22:31

Agree with amber, not good to eat stones. Yogi would pick up any stone he found, its a pain to keep chasing them to remove the stones but they do grow out of it. Yogi loves an empty plastic coke bottle with top removed to play with.So could distract him with that. Makes plenty noise but he loves it.

Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

amber

Post by amber » 05 Nov 2007, 22:32

Its not easy is it :roll:
Ours were the same but at 5 months they have grown out of it , so not too long to wait.
:shock: Amber

amber

Post by amber » 05 Nov 2007, 22:34

Another fav toy was a dustpan and brush, just unfortunate they didn't clean the mess up after themselves :lol:
Amber

Kat

Post by Kat » 06 Nov 2007, 02:21

doods just love to have something in their mouths, don't they! have you got lots of other toys out there for her,? like football, bouncy balls, cardboard boxes etc... she's probably just mouthing the stones but i guess you'll need to gauge yourself ... gweni is 8 months and still carries/ chews stuff all day.... she just loves it! she carries tiny little things around and rarely damages them once she knows they're not hers (apart from TWO DR Who's in a row last week!!!!! and a small yellow handbag).... bombard her with interesting stuff and maybe that will seem more interesting than the stones... :P
we Love our Labradoodle! x

bluekat

Post by bluekat » 06 Nov 2007, 04:30

excuse me, I do have sense !
I aksed a simple question. I have now looked elsewhere for answers, as it seems I only got judgement here.

just because I made a light comment based on family experience doesn't mean I leave my dog to eat stones willy nilly. No-one is able to watch and control everything 24/7.

Although I am a responsible experienced multiple dog owner, it's possible that my puppy ocassionally swallows a small stone or pebble.

I usually use a swapping techenique to get my dog(s) to reliquish things without increasing the value of the object.
amber wrote:Wellm i'm sorry, but it would be dangerous. I most certainly wouldn't want mine outside swallowing stones. Have sense Blue kat
Amber

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 06 Nov 2007, 09:18

Hi Katya

Our Doodle wants to crunch stones too, and snail shells. This worried me too but I was told like you that it is very normal behaviour (that gun-dog trait) and although they may appear to be giving the stones a good old crunch, they're probably not eating them. Of course you've got sense - you have a child (children) to raise, and much as our dogs may be a handful at times, it doesn't quite compare to the responsibility and sense we have had to have in caring for our tiny humans! I sometimes have to tell myself, if dogs were living in the wild (which they are ... with an amazing success rate) there would sometimes be times when they ate things they shouldn't. I'm constantly having to get things off Barley and certainly can't be sure that he has never swallowed anything contraband! I was also relieved to hear that someone else's dog eats kitchen scourers, we've done all we can to try and hide/remove them, but sometimes he sniffs one out when our backs are turned.

Best

Helen (I should point out that I'm new to doodles and possibly clueless!)
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com