eating stones

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Ferrarirob

Re: eating stones

Post by Ferrarirob » 06 Nov 2007, 09:39

linda l wrote:Tilly was the same..every time she went into the garden she came in crunching :roll: all I did was take them off her and wait till she had something else then throw them back. It lasted a very short time and now she doesnt seem that bothered about them. As previoulsy said just keep an eye on her and dont try and chase her for them as it becomes a game, Tilly was quite good at swap for a treat or get a toy out and make her want to do something else. Good luck. (you will eyes in the back of your head tho)
Exactly the same with Brian :!: :!: Our back garden (where we goes to relieve himself) is all pebbles. He ALWAYS brings one in, so we have to go through the ritual of swapping it for a small treat or favourite toy before returning it (unnoticed) over the wall into the garden.

Brian will be 5 months old on 16 November, from other posts in this thread I understand that it will stop :roll: :roll: PLEASE :!:
" Wish I was clever like you Brian"
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/ferrarirob0/

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 06 Nov 2007, 09:42

Kat

Gweni looks gorgeous, love her colours. What generation is she?

Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

pointermum

Post by pointermum » 06 Nov 2007, 12:05

Hiya Katya

Our Barley eats everything he can lay his paws on. He's always crunching stones and sticks, which I do try to get off him but I'm sure he's swallowed some in his time. He's come out of the hedge with a dead pidgeon, two frogs, the list is endless. He's 13 weeks and I'm hoping that the 'growing out' stage will be soon !

I'm with previous post, they are dogs and in the wild they would try eating different things ! Obviously, I get things off him when I see them, and keep him away from harmful chemicals etc.
Christine, Barley and Fudge

Image Image

amber

Post by amber » 06 Nov 2007, 15:36

Dogs have a tendency not to live so long in the wild. Our pets are not wild. And need as much guidance as we can give them. Would you allow your children to swallow stones?
It is true, most of the time they will just mouth, thankfully. Its not a safe bet though to think your dog could eat stones and be safe, and its a habbit that needs to be curbed.
Amber

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Nov 2007, 15:41

Hi Kats,

We have gravel around our house, so whilst Poppy is tiny I have covered it all with the permeable black stuff that you put under decking, and anchored it down with a few pots. It seems to be working so far - easily available at garden centres & B&Q.

Bid
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

amber

Post by amber » 06 Nov 2007, 15:43

Thats it Bid, prevention, rather than the cure :wink:
Amber

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Nov 2007, 15:52

Shame you're not near here really, cos I bought twice as much as I needed :oops:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

kats

Post by kats » 06 Nov 2007, 19:39

hi Bid

thanks for that great tip - i have pm'd you :D
Kats and Evie x
Image Image
Some blindness is PREVENTABLE, all parents need clear Eye certificates. Don't accept excuses.

kats

Post by kats » 06 Nov 2007, 23:44

Hilli wrote:Agree with amber, not good to eat stones. Yogi would pick up any stone he found, its a pain to keep chasing them to remove the stones but they do grow out of it. Yogi loves an empty plastic coke bottle with top removed to play with.So could distract him with that. Makes plenty noise but he loves it.

Hilli

Hilli - you are a star!!! 8)

didn't have a coke bottle so gave her an empty plastic milk bottle and she hasn't put it down since :D so much for all the expensive toys we got her - should have just given her a multitude of plastic bottles :D
Kats and Evie x
Image Image
Some blindness is PREVENTABLE, all parents need clear Eye certificates. Don't accept excuses.

Kat

Post by Kat » 06 Nov 2007, 23:49

:D dogs need to be allowed freedom to exhibit naural behaviour, explore and make their own mistakes, just like kids! :twisted: :twisted: of course, living as we do, it's up to us humans to decide when enough is enough and everyone has their own individual boundaries.... dogs eat and chew a huge range of weird stuff that is perfectly normal to them but not so appealing for us and generally only start to eat poisonous or dangerous things when they are nutritionally lacking ...if dogs are not allowed to develop their natural instincts for social behaviour and identification of edibles, these instinctive skills will probably fail to emerge... helen, i would be keeping an eye on the snails, as they can carry a heartworm parasite which is not good for dogs...

half the fun of being a pup is mooching about while no-ones looking!
gweni loves washing up sponges...maybe i shld get her some scourers!!!
we Love our Labradoodle! x

Kat

Post by Kat » 06 Nov 2007, 23:56

:D :mrgreen: hilli, gweni is an F1....her ma is a beautiful silver standard and her pa is a choccy lab....(although she seems to be threequarters otter)....she was black at birth and gradually getting more chocolatey and lots of silver hairs in her back....
x
we Love our Labradoodle! x

debs43

Post by debs43 » 07 Nov 2007, 00:41

please everyone be very careful with stones as we know only to much how dangerous stones and gravel can be our zigs had to have an op to remove a stone that was causing a blockage thankfully i got him to the vets very quickly, or we may have had a very different outcome, the vet even adviced muzzling him when he was in the garden, i couldnt do it, but luckily we have a large garden that is section off, so until zigs outgrows his loving of eating everything he is restricted to patio only unless he is supervised, so please do not take lightly your dogs eating foreign objects

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 07 Nov 2007, 09:46

Kat- Gweni has the most adorable face, gorgeous dood.

Kats- Glad she liked the plastic bottle, we are the same loads of toys and Yogi runs about with plastic bottles, plastic flower pots etc.

Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 07 Nov 2007, 17:56

My Sis in laws rescue dog died from eating a stone. She had a previous op and one was removed but did it again. Hands in the mouth and remove it ASAP is the way to go unless you can temp fence off the stone bit?

amber

Post by amber » 07 Nov 2007, 18:42

[quote="amber"]Oh, Kats, i'm afraid it would be dangerous. But she will grow out of it.. Keep an eye on her out there, and give her a large plastic milk carton, keeps them occupied for a while anyway
Amber[/quote]

Hi Kats, glad the milk, and coke bottles helped.
Amber :D