eating stones

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
amber

Re: eating stones

Post by amber » 07 Nov 2007, 18:52

[quote="Kat"]:D dogs need to be allowed freedom to exhibit naural behaviour, explore and make their own mistakes, just like kids! :twisted: :twisted: of course, living as we do, it's up to us humans to decide when enough is enough and everyone has their own individual boundaries.... dogs eat and chew a huge range of weird stuff that is perfectly normal

Kat
Trouble is some mistakes are sadly life threatening. As you have read by people willing to give their accounts on what must have been a heartbreaking tragedy for those concerned.
Amber

Kat

Post by Kat » 08 Nov 2007, 15:05

hi amber.... there are always going to be terrible tragedies and accidents and none of us wants that :( .... but as i said, it's up to each individual to work out their own level of risk vs safety - be aware of danger but get it into perspective..... so many awful things can happen but we need to enjoy the time we got - not take silly risks but not live in fear.... i think the main thing is..... know your dog inside out and observe him well, then you are likely to be able to predict or pre-empt the possible dangers.... and always listen to your dog (cos he probably knows best!!!)
:D
we Love our Labradoodle! x

dustysmum

Post by dustysmum » 08 Nov 2007, 15:51

Hi Kat dusty loves stones bricks boulders :shock: or anything else that she can hide in her mouth she is 10 months now and she is so used to me fishing about in her slimy wet mouth that everytime i spot her sneaking a chew (which isnt often as she pretends she hasnt got anything and strolls off to a hidden corner with her cheeks puffed out) that when i say what have you got , I get a disgusted look and she spits it out :shock: i mean a real spit its hilarious,ps i do agree you have to be very careful what you say some very opinionated ladies on here :roll:
but i quickly add some very good advice too :lol:

amber

Post by amber » 08 Nov 2007, 16:26

This is just a simple answer to a simple question.
There are high risks of blockages and illness, though, if pups and dogs are willingly allowed to swallow stones.
I think 99% of people realise this anyway, thankfully,
I will always try my best to minimalise the risk, simply by taking the stones out, and giving a safe toy to play with.
Amber

dustysmum

Post by dustysmum » 08 Nov 2007, 17:28

sorry opinionated looks abit strong :oops: i didnt mean that at you amber i know you are more protective than anything else x :)

amber

Post by amber » 08 Nov 2007, 17:31

Thanks Dustysmum
Amber xx :)

peterannben

Post by peterannben » 08 Nov 2007, 17:53

aw hope all goes well with the stones ,i have heard about some nasty consequenses over stones we have a sock monster ,pip eats socks, he doesnt just chew them he swallows them , we only found out that it was pip when we went out to shovel up his toilets ,fortunately the socks are or were my 4 year old sons and not my o.h,s i dread to to think what would happen then annx

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Nov 2007, 20:55

Kat has a good point about knowing your dog, and you can often spot health problems early from noticing things differing from their normal behaviour, but I think with young pups who haven't yet sorted out what is going to be normal, you have to be a little bit more proactive in watching out for them. (That's just my opinion :lol: :lol: :lol: )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

amber

Post by amber » 08 Nov 2007, 22:04

Who'd have thought this thread would last this long,
I must admit i am losing the will to live

Kat

Post by Kat » 09 Nov 2007, 01:20

:mrgreen: amber, chill out! this is a discussion (and we obviously disagree on lots of things)... :cry: i think it' s past your bedtime...go curl up with some antibiotics and a good book and i'm sure you'll feel better in the morning :shock: :mrgreen:
we Love our Labradoodle! x

amber

Post by amber » 09 Nov 2007, 15:09

Hey, Kat.
It seems you have the wrong end of the stick, yet again.
I was joking. :P
Go curl up yourself with your Arsonicum, and Belladonna (Deadlynightshade)

Kats.
I am sorry your original post turned out this way.
As you know I only have the dogs and their owners best wishes at heart. I have put my view forward, and said all i can say, as it just seems to be turning into a battle of wills now, and something i don't wish to get into.
Best wishes
Amber :)

kats

Post by kats » 09 Nov 2007, 17:47

amber wrote:
amber wrote:Oh, Kats, i'm afraid it would be dangerous. But she will grow out of it.. Keep an eye on her out there, and give her a large plastic milk carton, keeps them occupied for a while anyway
Amber
Hi Kats, glad the milk, and coke bottles helped.
Amber :D

Hi Amber, sorry - my bad :oops:

missed that you had suggested this too - you are also a star :D
Kats and Evie x
Image Image
Some blindness is PREVENTABLE, all parents need clear Eye certificates. Don't accept excuses.