I love this forum but......

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
saz1970

I love this forum but......

Post by saz1970 » 17 Nov 2007, 15:56

I love it on here and have read and recieved some great advice BUT am I the only one who spends the whole time feeling guilty?

I have changed Chelsea's food three times because I thought i was feeding the wrong thing, I have just realised I am walking her too much, we have steps out into our garden, I have been leaving her collar on when she is in the crate, sometimes she goes through doors before I do.....the list is endless and I have seriously considered leaving the forum and just 'having a dog' like we used to when I was little!

BTW Chelsea is having a duvet day today having attended a puppy party on Thursday and training last night. We just can't get her up except for food!!!! :lol:

Hel&Mark

Re: I love this forum but......

Post by Hel&Mark » 17 Nov 2007, 16:23

You're not the only one!
I too find that reading lots of advice threads can knock one's confidence. But don't feel guilty, if your dog seems happy, you're probably doing it right. Everyone has their own preferred training/feeding/exercising methods and they are all so different. I think largely, go with what seems right for you, select some advice and reject some; and if you're unsure or confused I find our vets surgery staff are hugely helpful. And lets face it, if you've followed their advice and something goes wrong at least they know you've tried to do what they recommended.
Don't feel put off, you love your dog and your dog loves you - even if you mess up sometimes - and that's what matters! I sometimes have to run away from the forum too for the same reason. Bet there are others too ...
Good luck
Helen.
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Mightdoodle

Post by Mightdoodle » 17 Nov 2007, 16:53

Everyone has an opinion on what's best for their dog.

It's up to every owner to read the pros and cons of everything and make an informed decision based on their own choice.

I've got Gwen Bailey's "The Perfect Puppy" and read it from cover to cover before we got Bailey so I had in my head the commands we'd use for things and what I wanted to do for her from the word go. It's easier if you are sure what's best in your own mind, then you can choose to ignore what other people do.

At the moment, I'm reading up on the pros and cons of early spaying. On here it seems you shouldn't spay before their first season. My vet has said you SHOULD spay before their first season. There are important health benefits to each decision. If I get her spayed after her first season she is at an increased risk of mammary tumours which could kill her later in life, plus the surgery will be more painful for her and her recovery period will be longer. If I spay her early she's at risk of problems with her skeletal development, and may remain "puppy-like" for the rest of her days, with hormonal problems. The evidence for both sides seems sketchy at best, I've worked as a research scientist in the past and I know how easy it is to weight an argument in either direction. I really need to get hold of all the vet journals to read them myself, and find out how the studies were conducted to make an informed choice that I'm happy with.

You just need to do the best you can.
Bailey. Supermodel.

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 17 Nov 2007, 16:56

It sometimes feels to me like the forum is divided between ' They who know everything,and must be obeyed' and ' Those of us that know **** all,about anything' (obviously I fall into the latter catergory). I ask for advice and I pay attention when it's given,i feel you are never too old to learn,and it's good of people to offer their knowledge. At the end of the day though you've got to use your common sense, if it sounds like good advice & you agree with it then do it, if not, don't do it! (& if you've absolutely no common sense at all you probably shouldn't have a dog)!!! :mrgreen: (that final comment wasn't directed at anyone,by the way :roll: )
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 17 Nov 2007, 17:19

deep breath before posting then running for cover!

no matter how much I love my doodle, which is tons, at the end of the day he is a dog and as such comes from a long line of ancestors who weren't mollycoddled, pampered and spoiled by their owners.

They were chucked scraps from the table, didn't have special diets, weren't bathed every other night, not given their own special duvet to sleep on and yet they survived :shock:

IMO many dog owners now treat their dogs as children and worry far too much about how they bring them up - don't feel guilty about the way you are interacting with your dog, just as long as you both know who is boss (which should be you) and your doodle is well behaved and healthy then you are doing the right things :D

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

saz1970

Post by saz1970 » 17 Nov 2007, 17:25

OOOOOOHHHH you are brave!!! Sometimes I want to say that Doodles are just crossbreeds or even use the M word that would have been used when I was young but I am just too scared :shock:

groover

Post by groover » 17 Nov 2007, 17:39

i felt much the same
so many opinions. everyone sure their way is best. all very well meaning but also conflicting.
just pick out the bits that suit you and your puppy and disregard the rest. if something works for you stick with it. if not try an alternative. but most of all try and stop worrying long enough to enjoy yourself.
when i shared my concerns with my vet re diet and the fact i have stairs at home he was a bit exasperated with me.(slight eye rolling episode :lol: )
he said that complete food is called complete food because it is just that. so pick a couple of extra things ie chicken/fish/carrot that you'd like to give as a treat but be safe in the knowledge that your dog is not going to end up malnourished.
re stairs he said there's no reason a dog can not be walked up/down stairs in a controlled manner (to minimize risk of accidental injury) but doing so will definitely not cause hip dysplasia as its a hereditary condition.
this site is fantastic for advice, knowledge, experience etc but its impossible to implement it all.

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

redheadreddog

Post by redheadreddog » 17 Nov 2007, 17:48

hi to all and may i say well said julias o7o8 you have said what a lot off us feel and i to like you beleive we are treating them like children not dog so we should love and do with then how we see fit and read the fourm with pleasure but only think about what we want from our own dogs

Mightdoodle

Post by Mightdoodle » 17 Nov 2007, 19:31

It's a really good point - a lot does depend what you want from your dog.

We personally NEED an incredibly well controlled, well balanced, chilled out, perfect temperment dog as we have clients visit our home, including their children. I need a dog that doesn't go mental when the doorbell rings, that doesn't jump up and doesn't go mad when it's shut away from visitors. She's also got to learn hard or excessive playing biting isn't acceptable, neither is licking faces. She is redirected onto her toys if she wants to bite something, and it seems to be working.

This is why we're training her very, very early and training her hard, trying to trouble shoot problems as we go along.

I would be less bothered about all this if I wasn't running our business from home.

I've also had the "eye rolling" from vets. But then I've had vets tell me (about my pet rats) not to bother with tumour surgery that would give my pet another year of life as "it's cheaper to get another rat". Some vets really don't give a **** for want of a better word.

I took the following from a rat forum - I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it's along the lines of if we decide we're going to tame an animal and bring it into our home and expect it to live with us, we must accept full responsibility for it's health and wellbeing.

I personally try not to place human emotions onto my dog, I don't believe she "loves me" in the human sense of the word. She may feel secure with me and hate it when I'm not around, but that isn't love. Dogs are not children, or babies, they are dogs. I don't think dogs love their pack leader. But I do feel responsible for her and I take that responsibility very seriously. She is reliant on me, and I need to respect that.

Unfortunately the world is very judgemental. I'm convinced that for just about everything I do for any given second of the day someone, somewhere in the world, would think it's wrong. You just have to do the best you can I think.
Bailey. Supermodel.

amber

Post by amber » 17 Nov 2007, 19:44

Well folks
I'm not going to justify my feelings, or opologise. My dogs are my kids. They share my life, my sofa, my bed when i want them too. I wonder why some have dogs at all :(
Puppys also need to be puppies, and grow up in their own time.
I am also convinced my dogs love me, but i am not going to try to define love, there is no measurement.
Re advise, if you don't want it nobody's forcing.
Amber
:)

alliedoodle

Post by alliedoodle » 17 Nov 2007, 20:01

i at times ask for advice and take or leave what i think but i thank everyone for their thoughts as ME asked. Each human has choice and responsibility to think what THEY think is best. A lady in my street dresses her dog. I personally dont agree with it but HER choice same as if people want to treat their dogs as babies

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 17 Nov 2007, 20:28

I'm not saying don't treat your dog as a baby/child, I do that myself and often my husband has to kick the dogs off the bed before he can get in!

Point I was trying to make is don't panic if your dog has gone upstairs cos you've left the stairgate open - a dog will survive running up and down the stairs its unlikely to do damage to itself, don't beat yourself up if it won't eat its food - it will when its hungry. Do whats best for you and for your dog :P and don't feel guilty if you're not doing what someone else is saying you should be doing

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

amber

Post by amber » 17 Nov 2007, 20:31

[quote="julies0708"]I'm not saying don't treat your dog as a baby/child, I do that myself and often my husband has to kick the dogs off the bed before he can get in!

Point I was trying to make is don't panic if your dog has gone upstairs cos you've left the stairgate open - a dog will survive running up and down the stairs its unlikely to do damage to itself, don't beat yourself up if it won't eat its food - it will when its hungry. Do whats best for you and for your dog :P and don't feel guilty if you're not doing what someone else is saying you should be doing[/quote]

I Know. 8) Amber

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 17 Nov 2007, 20:47

I have lots of ornaments & stuffed animals that don't jump about,lick faces or make any noise at all.I prefer my dog to be a bit more animated than that.Mainly because he's breathing & he's a puppy & needs to do silly puppy sort of stuff. :mrgreen:
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

amber

Post by amber » 17 Nov 2007, 21:00

[quote="Fattysplash"]I have lots of ornaments & stuffed animals that don't jump about,lick faces or make any noise at all.I prefer my dog to be a bit more animated than that.Mainly because he's breathing & he's a puppy & needs to do silly puppy sort of stuff. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Fattysplash, thats my kinda puppy. Normal :shock: 8)

Amber :lol: