I love this forum but......

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
amber

Re: I love this forum but......

Post by amber » 18 Nov 2007, 00:10

Hows Pip, now , Ann?
:) Amber

peterannben

Post by peterannben » 18 Nov 2007, 00:18

hi amber , pip seems to be fine ,i think because he has had so much fuss over the past few weeks he is definatly trying to get away with allsorts , chewing up stuff that he doesnt normally chew, ,oh not impressed with him starting on the fence,i cant tell him off ,i only have to look at his face and i go to pieces , he has that scruffy lookingsad eyed looking heart melting look on his face that says you wuv me wearly annxx

amber

Post by amber » 18 Nov 2007, 00:23

Lol, you softy, you :lol:
Let us know, but sounds good :D
Amber

Kat

Post by Kat » 18 Nov 2007, 01:13

:D :D i'd just like to say that i wish everyone well on the forum... :D

it is quite an odd way to communicate, over the internet, like this, and it's easy to misinterpret people's words or intentions.... and if you are a caring person, it's easy to feel upset by someone else's words...it's also easy to lash out at someone else's opinion... it would be really nice if we could try and support each other here and to communicate without hurting each other... if we could replace domination with mutual respect - whether between humans or humans and dogs.... animals (including us humans) learn little when angry or hurt... "Adrenaline up, learning down", says Monty Roberts, non-violent, natural horseman... we can all learn more and better if we're nice to each other!

sometimes it feels safer not to know, not to ask, or not to speak out but if you have a good heart and want to make things good or better for your dog, an unwanted dog, yourself, your friends, people you don't know, the whole world or whoever else, engaging with others is a good way to do it...

i love my labradoodle (who just rolled off the sofa in her sleep!) unconditionally - she is honest, loving, intelligent & kind... and, like my human children, she teaches me something every day :D
x
we Love our Labradoodle! x

amber

Post by amber » 18 Nov 2007, 01:20

Kat
You're so superior, to us mere mortals :lol:
Amber

glenis

Post by glenis » 18 Nov 2007, 10:08

They are like children, there is only ONE perfect one in the world and every mother has it.

You and you alone know your dog listen to advise and do what you think is the best one.

I have had quite a lot of dogs over the years and when i got Molly and Dougal i said that I would not do the same mistakes as before but they are great and what the heck if they have their faults we all do. I keep saying to my husband that I just love them to bits too much sometimes.

I come down hard on them sometimes and when i see them being the perfect twosome they seem to have lost all their personality just to be good for me. So we compromise.

nikkinodles

Post by nikkinodles » 18 Nov 2007, 10:51

Hi i sertainly am with you with the guilty thoughts, I am a first time dog owner and have posted on here for some advice in the past and been made to feel like i was the worst dog owner in the world and as thick as two short planks, :cry: I did not visit the site for about a week after that but i realised i was cutting my nose off to spite my face as some of the advice is really helpful. In MY opinion Noodles is my dog and a valued member of my family, and as long as he is happy, well and relitavley well behaved (as much as a dood puppy can be) we will be happy, my only advise is take what you need and leave the rest as you would in the rest of your life. One persons oppinion is not the be all and end all we all have choices to make and getting as many views as you can to make an informed decision is great but ultimatly yo have to make the one that is best for you and your family!
nikki and noodles

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Nov 2007, 12:16

saz1970 wrote:Well maybe I am oversensative but I for one won't be posting any more on here to take or give advice. I just don't need the attitude - thanks
This is the site for those of a sensitive nature .... http://www.doodletimes.org/

Me - I'm happy here :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 18 Nov 2007, 12:42

I've taken my bat home a few times, but I get over it!! Wait till you get the Spelling Police on your case!! I was publicly humiliated for spelling DEFINITELY wrong, now that's what you call a guilt trip :oops: :oops: :oops: (hope I got it right this time!) :roll:
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 18 Nov 2007, 15:48

julies0708 wrote:deep breath before posting then running for cover!

no matter how much I love my doodle, which is tons, at the end of the day he is a dog and as such comes from a long line of ancestors who weren't mollycoddled, pampered and spoiled by their owners.

They were chucked scraps from the table, didn't have special diets, weren't bathed every other night, not given their own special duvet to sleep on and yet they survived :shock:

IMO many dog owners now treat their dogs as children and worry far too much about how they bring them up - don't feel guilty about the way you are interacting with your dog, just as long as you both know who is boss (which should be you) and your doodle is well behaved and healthy then you are doing the right things :D
I must say I agree with you - whilst it is lovely to see how much people love their dogs on here, there are times when I cringe .... too many folk do treat their dogs like children - some even say that losing your pet dog is equivalent to losing a child. :shock:

Of course it doesn't help that you can now purchase an array of doggy clothes in all pet shops and even doggy pushchairs, little signs to go in the rear window of your car saying "pampered pooch on board" etc.... for some strange reason people are being encouraged to treat their dogs like babies and children.... but then if people are daft enough to buy such things, of course there will be people out there who are not so daft, who will happily sell them ! :wink:

Dogs are dogs, and should be treated as such, nothing more, nothing less. They are NOT substitute children. :roll:

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 18 Nov 2007, 15:52

saz1970 wrote:OOOOOOHHHH you are brave!!! Sometimes I want to say that Doodles are just crossbreeds or even use the M word that would have been used when I was young but I am just too scared :shock:
But they ARE just crossbreeds, you are quite right ! Hence the reason they come in all different shapes and coat types ... nothing wrong with speaking the truth. They are not mongrels though - a mongrel is a dog whose parents are of unknown origin.

Mightdoodle

Post by Mightdoodle » 18 Nov 2007, 16:00

Sharon wrote:Dogs are dogs, and should be treated as such, nothing more, nothing less. They are NOT substitute children. :roll:
Erm... we got Bailey when we were told we were unlilely to ever have children of our own. We're going for fertility treatment next year but even then the odds are really against us and the heartbreak and grief are really overwhelming to be honest.

So Bailey IS most definitely (did I spell it right?) our subsitute child. Unfortunately she's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a child of our own. And I know we're not the only ones to have done this either.

[But I still treat her like a dog.]
Bailey. Supermodel.

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 18 Nov 2007, 16:03

Sharon wrote:
saz1970 wrote:OOOOOOHHHH you are brave!!! Sometimes I want to say that Doodles are just crossbreeds or even use the M word that would have been used when I was young but I am just too scared :shock:
But they ARE just crossbreeds, you are quite right ! Hence the reason they come in all different shapes and coat types ... nothing wrong with speaking the truth. They are not mongrels though - a mongrel is a dog whose parents are of unknown origin.

Quite right - there is no such thing as a "pure" dog (taking into account wolves etc) and pedigree dogs are only pedigree dogs because the KC say they are / there really is no such thing as a "pedigree" - all domesticated dogs are crossbreeds . . . . . . . I don't ever recall archaeologists finding the remains of a Basset Bleu de Gascogne or a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever :)
Last edited by freyadog on 18 Nov 2007, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.

saz1970

Post by saz1970 » 18 Nov 2007, 16:05

Ok Can't resist one more post. According to the dictionary a Mongrel is 'an animal or plant produced by crossing different breeds'. It is the word my parents would have used 40 years ago for any dog who wasn't a pedigree.

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Nov 2007, 17:13

Depends on your dictionary! I like the Blue Peter version ....

"Mongrels can be known by other names such as cross or mixed breed dogs, random-bred or mutts. The term 'cross breed' should only really be used for dogs who have a mum and dad from different pedigree breeds."
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron