I love this forum but......

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sharon

Re: I love this forum but......

Post by Sharon » 18 Nov 2007, 19:04

Mightdoodle wrote:
Sharon wrote:Dogs are dogs, and should be treated as such, nothing more, nothing less. They are NOT substitute children. :roll:
Erm... we got Bailey when we were told we were unlilely to ever have children of our own. We're going for fertility treatment next year but even then the odds are really against us and the heartbreak and grief are really overwhelming to be honest.

So Bailey IS most definitely (did I spell it right?) our subsitute child. Unfortunately she's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a child of our own. And I know we're not the only ones to have done this either.

[But I still treat her like a dog.]
And here lies the significance in your post :

"But I still treat her like a dog". Therefore she is not a substitute child and you are being a good dog owner as a result.

You cannot equate the value of human life with that of a dog - and I speak as Mum and a breeder. That is all I was trying to say.

Very best of luck with your fertility treatment and difficult as it is, try to be positive - there are thousands of couples out there who have their much yearned for families thanks to medical intervention. Fingers crossed for you that you and your partner will be one of them.

amber

Post by amber » 18 Nov 2007, 19:42

[quote="Sharon"]

You cannot equate the value of human life with that of a dog - and I speak as Mum and a breeder. That is all I was trying to say.

Can I just ask why?
IMO, An animal deserves as good as a human being.
We created them, we should be responsible for them, they deserve no less.

If more people looked after their animals that well, i for one would be a lot happier person. Police are not interested in missing dogs. Yet to me they are my family. Why do people deserve any better, who says? Who decides?

Amber

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 18 Nov 2007, 20:05

I think this is the nature of internet forums, people give advice and it can come over as preachy or upity because you don't hear the tone of voice or see facial expression. This is a fantastic site but like similar sites there are a variety of different people posting with totally different circumstances, advice is given in good faith and I'm sure the last thing anyone sets out to do is give someone a complex or make them feel guilty. IMO enjoy your dog, enjoy the site and take what suits you from the advice.

Although I will apologise for being the one who posted asking for advice about the stairs, I am a first time dog and first time doodle owner who is prone to panicing at every opportunity! :wink: :D
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 18 Nov 2007, 20:23

I quote Amber "Why do people deserve any better, who says? Who decides?". I agree. A very deep question. Who decides that humans are more worthy than other animals? When you see dogs on rescue programmes on tv, they look frightened & bewildered, what right have we to do that to them? The law needs to change to protect animals.As Amber says, we create them, we should protect them.We made them reliant on us, it's up to us to provide for them & to re-create, as best we can, the pack life that they instinctively need.That means to be part of the family.If we can't equate the value of the life of an animal to that of a human, should we all be feeding dogs when there are people in this world that starve to death every day,who would gladly eat the meat we give to our animals? After saying all that, if my house was on fire it would be my daughter who I rescued first.( But I have risked my OWN life before, to save my dog, & I would do the same again).
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

amber

Post by amber » 18 Nov 2007, 20:27

So Well said Fattysplash 8)
Amber.

Wills Miller

Post by Wills Miller » 18 Nov 2007, 21:34

Hi Amber and all you other dog lovers. In our home our puppies are our babies. They sleep in our bedroom with us, one in the bed and William the Labradoodle chooses to sleep on a duvet on the floor. Our house would not be a home without our babies we live for them. I am not saying my way is the right way but it is for us, I respect other peoples opinions, but that is all they are. We have to do what feels right to us. I love this site as everyone seems to have an amazing amount of love for their Doodles so its great to share our feelings. My life is so enriched, I have met people, made new friends and been on my first doodle meet because of my puppies. I walk about 3 miles a day, and on my home from work when I think about my babies waiting for me it makes me fill up, I know they love me as much as I love them, so when you have so much pleasure in your life and so much love does it really matter what other people think. Not to me cos they will never have what you and I have. By the way my husband has just read this and says I should mention that I love him too. Jill
Jill & William Miller
xx

amber

Post by amber » 18 Nov 2007, 21:45

Thats a nice post :D
I get very protective :D

I was only just saying on a different thread that the only problem i have with dogs is that they don't live as long as we do.
There is a lovely story on "Off Topic", called A dogs life, but it was a lovely read. Bittersweet though
Amber

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 19 Nov 2007, 10:41

amber wrote:
Sharon wrote:

Can I just ask why?
IMO, An animal deserves as good as a human being.
We created them, we should be responsible for them, they deserve no less.

If more people looked after their animals that well, i for one would be a lot happier person. Police are not interested in missing dogs. Yet to me they are my family. Why do people deserve any better, who says? Who decides?

Amber

Not sure if you are a Mother yourself, I am guessing not - but I have five children (and six dogs :mrgreen: ) ...

But, if I was in the nightmare situation whereby one of my children and one of my dogs were drowning, you would expect me to be torn as to who I should save ?????? According to you, their lives are equally precious. :shock:

I would be very interested to hear your view on the above hypothetical situation.

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 19 Nov 2007, 10:47

Fattysplash wrote:If we can't equate the value of the life of an animal to that of a human, should we all be feeding dogs when there are people in this world that starve to death every day,who would gladly eat the meat we give to our animals?

That is a daft thing to say - since if we stopped feeding our dogs, those people would still be starving regardless ! :roll:

However, if I was in a situation whereby I had a starving dog and a starving child to feed and could only feed one or the other - absolutely I'd feed the child ! I love dogs but I have my priorities right I believe.

You say you have - and would again - risk your life for your dog - This means you would be prepared to risk leaving your daughter without her father for your pet dog ! :shock:

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 19 Nov 2007, 13:06

Sharon wrote:
Fattysplash wrote:If we can't equate the value of the life of an animal to that of a human, should we all be feeding dogs when there are people in this world that starve to death every day,who would gladly eat the meat we give to our animals?

That is a daft thing to say - since if we stopped feeding our dogs, those people would still be starving regardless ! :roll:

However, if I was in a situation whereby I had a starving dog and a starving child to feed and could only feed one or the other - absolutely I'd feed the child ! I love dogs but I have my priorities right I believe.

You say you have - and would again - risk your life for your dog - This means you would be prepared to risk leaving your daughter without her father for your pet dog ! :shock:
So the cost of feeding six dogs ,even for a year, wouldn't cover the cost of food to prevent a child from starving? Ok. ( Hypothetically of course, I wouldn't expect you to stop feeding your dogs & send the money anywhere to prevent a strange child from starving). :roll:
As for risking my life to save my dog again, yes I would. You weren't there,so you can't judge.(Unless you've been in that situation yourself)
'Daft' is assuming my daughter would be fatherless if I should die. :roll: :mrgreen:

dustysmum

Post by dustysmum » 19 Nov 2007, 13:24

if i can just stick my oar in -this is a great site but the bitching is terrible we are not all going to agree over everything but the humps that some people get are so petty that i feel like banging my head against a brick wall at the futility of it all .we all love dogs otherwise we woudnt spend time asking or giving advice, so why cant we just agree to disagree and not get so upset at someone elses opinion ?
i love to spoil dusty and she goes everywhere with me but she is a dog and a crossbreed (a very expensive crossbreed ) i would be gutted if anything happened to her and i would spend all i have got to help her if she was ill- but she is still a dog
anyone seen the film about show dogs and owners watch it and have a giggle and lighten up x :)

chilipepper

Post by chilipepper » 19 Nov 2007, 13:31

Just told Purdey dood about all this and she reckons we should all remember that our lives are enriched with her and all her cousins in it, regardless of our perception of where they fit in because frankly they don't care as long as they are loved- and she thinks we should all be better off taking our beloved companions out for a longer walk than bitching at each other on here :D

Well Purdey that's me told I'm off for a walk!

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 19 Nov 2007, 13:35

Fattysplash wrote:
Sharon wrote:

So the cost of feeding six dogs ,even for a year, wouldn't cover the cost of food to prevent a child from starving? Ok. ( Hypothetically of course, I wouldn't expect you to stop feeding your dogs & send the money anywhere to prevent a strange child from starving). :roll:
As for risking my life to save my dog again, yes I would. You weren't there,so you can't judge.(Unless you've been in that situation yourself)
'Daft' is assuming my daughter would be fatherless if I should die. :roll: :mrgreen:
Actually I donate monthly by direct debit to the NSPCC - my chosen charity -and I can still manage to afford to feed all my dogs. :wink: (four of them are toy breeds anyway and don't eat loads). I don't really understand your logic - my belief that people are more important than dogs is credible enough without me having to justify how I spend my money.

Also, how can it be "daft" to assume that if someone refers to a child in their post as their "daughter" and then speaking hypothetically, they were to die trying to save a dog, that the said daughter would be "fatherless". You've truly lost me LOL. :mrgreen:

Besides, I wasn't looking for an argument and my main gripe was really to do with all the doggy merchandise in the shops that encourages people to treat dogs like babies and children - and not dogs, which surprisingly enough is what they actually are. :mrgreen:

dustysmum

Post by dustysmum » 19 Nov 2007, 13:40

well said purdey enjoy your walk :)

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 19 Nov 2007, 13:44

To Quote Sharon: (My last one, honest)

"Also, how can it be "daft" to assume that if someone refers to a child in their post as their "daughter" and then speaking hypothetically, they were to die trying to save a dog, that the said daughter would be "fatherless". You've truly lost me LOL. "

Perhaps you should stay lost. I'm her mother. :mrgreen: