I love this forum but......

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sharon

Re: I love this forum but......

Post by Sharon » 19 Nov 2007, 21:04

Fattysplash wrote:To Quote Sharon: (My last one, honest)

"Also, how can it be "daft" to assume that if someone refers to a child in their post as their "daughter" and then speaking hypothetically, they were to die trying to save a dog, that the said daughter would be "fatherless". You've truly lost me LOL. "

Perhaps you should stay lost. I'm her mother. :mrgreen:

Lmao sorry I just assumed from your username you were a bloke - don't ask me why ! :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

But, getting back to my point - you would risk leaving your daughter without her Mother :wink: in order to rescue your pet dog ? :shock:

Anyway, each to their own and no hard feelings hey ? *Ahem*, even if I did think you were male. :mrgreen:

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 19 Nov 2007, 21:19

Sharon. No hard feelings at all, I'm far too thick skinned for that. Also,i don't plan on dying just yet,but I would take the risk for my dog. I wouldn't commit suicide, I mean I wouldn't jump in the sea to save him,'cause I can't swim!! I can honestly say I've been in a position to save my own skin,& I chose to stay with my dog ( I couldn't abandon him,not the dog I have now , but a collie x I had till he was nearly sixteen)& I got stabbed, but if I'd left him my dog would almost certainly have been stabbed to death. As you say, each to their own.And definitely no hard feelings (even if you did practically call me 'butch') :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

amber

Post by amber » 19 Nov 2007, 21:51

Sharon,
I really don't care what you say.
One or two "ladies", on this post have made plenty of sense to me.
Fattysplash, for being an intelligent source of information, in lots of departments, and also the lady who said that others who think there should be a heirachy don't have the love, and happiness, which we share in having one of gods beautiful creatures.
On the saving lives note. IMO, its the whole reason why woman are able to multi task.
Amber

amber

Post by amber » 19 Nov 2007, 22:57

[quote="Sharon"][quote="amber"][quote="Sharon"]

You cannot equate the value of human life with that of a dog - and I speak as Mum and a breeder. That is all I was trying to say.

Can I just ask why?
IMO, An animal deserves as good as a human being.
We created them, we should be responsible for them, they deserve no less.

If more people looked after their animals that well, i for one would be a lot happier person. Police are not interested in missing dogs. Yet to me they are my family. Why do people deserve any better, who says? Who decides?

Amber[/quote][/quote]

Not sure if you are a Mother yourself, I am guessing not - but I have five children (and six dogs :mrgreen: ) ...

But, if I was in the nightmare situation whereby one of my children and one of my dogs were drowning, you would expect me to be torn as to who I should save ?????? According to you, their lives are equally precious. :shock:

I would be very interested to hear your view on the above hypothetical situation.[/quote]

I say to you Sharon "YES".
They are everybit as important. You still have not answered me if it comes to that. Who chooses? Who decides?
Amber

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 20 Nov 2007, 11:18

amber wrote:
They are everybit as important. You still have not answered me if it comes to that. Who chooses? Who decides?
Amber

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: No further comment other than to say, thank you for your honesty, you are brave to admit that. Incredible though, tbh that you think I should not know who to save, if my child and dog were drowning. :(

As for who decides, who chooses, well, I guess normal people would be driven by their maternal/paternal instinct /general instinct of a human being, to put their children above their dogs.... ie it shouldn't be down to a choice, it should be a natural instinct - But, hey, each to their own.

And on that note, good bye.

amber

Post by amber » 20 Nov 2007, 15:30

[quote="Sharon"][quote="amber"]

Amber[/quote] From Sharon:

As for who decides, who chooses, well, I guess normal people would be driven by their maternal/paternal instinct /general instinct of a human being, to put their children above their dogs.... ie it shouldn't be down to a choice, it should be a natural instinct - But, hey, each to their own.

To Sharon:
Sharon i didn't say in your hypothetical argument for you to choose your dog over your child, i said in my opinion, it is why woman are able to multi task.

Also I would ask why it is more "Normal", in your opinion, to only feel maternal, and paternal about human children.
I am as brave as any mother when it comes to my defence in animals. I would hope that most will understand why i have felt it important to stand by my honest feelings.
Amber

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 20 Nov 2007, 19:59

I have to say, that I think this thread has digressed a bit too much. On the whole, being a mother, I agree with Sharon and my kids come first and foremost, husband comes second (oops sorry), dogs come 3rd. Much as I love my dogs for the pleasure and unconditional love they give me, but, if you don't have kids or other loved ones then I can understand how much love you can bestow on your dogs. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, that wasn't the intention! :(

It is sad that we are comparing dogs to children on this thread! To me they are totally separate parts of my life that I am thankfull to be able to enjoy!!! :) Although, they do interact at times (obviously) and help to form part of our happy family life.

amber

Post by amber » 20 Nov 2007, 20:16

For me this has nothing to do with not having any other loved ones, i most certainly do. I feel assumptions are being made here. I feel the way i do, and there is absolutely nothing wrong or abnormal about my feelings, and i stand by them.
I also feel many others agree. I did'nt bring a hypothetical argument into this thread, but wether or not, i think its a valid topic of discussion, just my feelings, and no offence to anyone intended
Amber

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 20 Nov 2007, 21:20

You are entitled to your feelings and input into this topic. I just think that you need to agree to disagree on this particular issue. :D No assumptions have been made, I respect your views and opinions! :wink: :)

amber

Post by amber » 20 Nov 2007, 21:22

Thankyou Loubeale :wink: Me too 8)
Amber

julie.caplin

Post by julie.caplin » 21 Nov 2007, 15:02

Here goes -Just read all these posts. How I agree with julies0708, a dog is a dog! My doodle Oscar is the most wonderful dog i have ever come across, he's funny, silly, loyal, gentle, incrediabley well behaved but he is a dog. He is not allowed on the furniture, not allowed upstairs and not allowed in the dinning room.
I hate seeing dogs dressed up. On another thread someone was asking about coats to keep their dogs warm, is that not what their fur coats are for.

I sound like a real cow!! but I'm not, just someone who likes to see dogs treated with respect not treated like dolls or play things. :lol:

Emma

Post by Emma » 21 Nov 2007, 15:55

Just got back off my hols.

Blimey. :shock:

I think we should accept that everyone has their own level of priority, and who is to say who is right and who is wrong?
Given different personal circumstances, different lifestyles and different personalities, is it any wonder that people have different opinions?
Wouldnt it make a boring world if we all thought on the same levels?
Our levels of love surely depend on who is in our life?
I defy any mother to say that they would put their dog first, if it was a choice between the dog and the child.
But also, that same mother might put herself at risk to save the dog if there was no other person involved.
Whats wrong with that?
Except of course, some might say, you could be leaving your child without a mother...... but are you really going to watch your dog drown? Or are you going to take a calculated risk to save it? Who knows what we would do until it happens.
Meanwhile, lets all enjoy our loved ones, be they human or doggy ones.
Amos and Emma

saz1970

Post by saz1970 » 21 Nov 2007, 15:57

Would just like to say that this wasn't the thread I started. My point was about feeling guilty when I didn't take people's advice. Now I feel guilty for causing a heated discussion!!! OMG I was just born to feel guilty! :roll:

chilipepper

Post by chilipepper » 21 Nov 2007, 15:59

saz1970-catholic by any chance :D

Suze & Martha

Post by Suze & Martha » 21 Nov 2007, 16:22

julie.caplin wrote:just someone who likes to see dogs treated with respect not treated like dolls or play things
Well said Julie ! 8)

Suze & Martha xx