Taking dogs abroad-your thoughts

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Alex

Taking dogs abroad-your thoughts

Post by Alex » 13 Jan 2008, 20:57

Has anyone taken their dog abroad on holiday with them and if so was it a good experience, how difficult was it, did the dog enjoy it etc etc etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciate it. We went camping in Cornwall last year for two weeks and had a great time but we were really lucky with the weather and I just don't think we'd get the same luck two years running so we're thinking of going france camping. Any advice good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks x

Fattysplash

Re: Taking dogs abroad-your thoughts

Post by Fattysplash » 13 Jan 2008, 21:20

If I were you I'd do a search on 'passport', lot of people seem to have had problems bringing their dog back into the country.Also, you need to do it well in advance ( the passport, but I'm sure you'll know this anyway). I fancied driving overland( & ferries of course) to Greece, & taking Reuben,but don't have much confidence in the dog passport system.I think it's quite easy going out, but can be a nightmare getting back. :mrgreen:
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

redheadreddog

Post by redheadreddog » 13 Jan 2008, 21:50

:? hi alex im glad you have brought this upas we are looking to move to spain in a year or so and are plaining to get goerge his passport this year,we gotospain for a month at a time and larst year got to know a lady whohas been taking her dog for the passed three years and she said that as long as you plan the route to make the return via a portwith a day or so to spear as you need to have blood test done on return they did not have eny problems,we have made an appoment with our vet as well to talk about it so when i no more will keep you informed but the one sure thing is you need to get going asap for this year good luck heather and goerge

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 13 Jan 2008, 22:07

Dont rely on good weather in France by the way!!!! 8)

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 13 Jan 2008, 23:59

Esme died of Leishmaniasis 2 years and 2 days after I brought her home from Portugal.

The parasites are injected via infected sandflies; therefore Leish is contracted in the same way as one catches Malaria.

Leishmaniasis is RIFE throughout the mediterranian coastline. There are two forms, the one that eats the animal from the inside out (visceral) and the one that eats the dog from the outside in (epidermal).

Esme had both.

Incubation can be anything from 2 weeks to 2 years.

My vet had no experience of it, though sadly, now, he's seeing more and more cases (in the Windsor practise). Even if he had, it wouldn't have made a difference, there isn't a cure.

Sorry to put a downer on your holiday. We have fantastic countryside all over the UK. Does it really matter if it rains?
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Alex

Post by Alex » 14 Jan 2008, 12:47

Thank you so much for all your advice, I am sooo sorry to hear about esme, it sounds like the cruelest disease. After reading all your posts I have decided against taking Lula abroad so will prob stay in the UK this year. Am hoping to get another dog sometime this year so won't feel as bad leaving them together in kennels if we decide to go abroad next year.
Thanks very much again.
Alex x

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 14 Jan 2008, 14:51

Alex - I never leave my babies in Kennels - Home Boarding means they're "on Holiday" when you are! :D

The dog lives in the boarders home, not a kennel. My four had A BALL when they were at the home-boarders the weekend that we got married... They were FILTHY when I picked them up, a sure sign of a really good time! She took them off to Dartmoor the first day and Bodmin the 2nd. ...and she was cheaper than a boarding kennels, AND she didn't insist on "current vaccination certificates" either. She was happy with the Proof of Immunity Certificate issued by Biobest Labs instead.

Its worth researching eh?
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Jan 2008, 15:35

We have a house sitter when we go away, and with more than one dog it is cheaper than using the kennels, with the added bonus of someone looking after your house. Also I can ring up and chat about the dogs so I don't need to worry. (He cuts the grass too :lol: ).
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Alex

Post by Alex » 14 Jan 2008, 17:04

Thanks for those two ideas. If I did decide to go with boarders or house sitters is there a website that I could find them in my area and what sort of guarentees do they have-eg how would I know a house sitter wouldn't empty my house of all it's rubbish-i mean my belongings.
Thanks again x

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 14 Jan 2008, 19:31

The service (if professional) is fully insured. Ask to see the documentation if they don't offer. Both Frosty and i home board selectively for our businesses.