My lovely Rupert is being rehomed - I can't stop crying :(

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
angelmouse1980

My lovely Rupert is being rehomed - I can't stop crying :(

Post by angelmouse1980 » 12 Mar 2008, 14:16

I just wanted to come on here and thank everyone for all the advice I've received from people - it's been extremely helpful, but now sadly I am going to be rehoming my beautiful boy.

I have had Rupert since he was 10 weeks old and I took him away from the most awful conditions I have seen. The backstreet breeder had puppies locked away in cupboards and sitting in their own mess. They were being fed scraps and weetabix and the cage he was in (along with his four siblings and mother) was far too small and only really big enough for a small lab.

He has since grown into a glorious dog and is great fun to be with. He is extremely friendly, loyal, and has the best personality ever. Just lately though, we have been getting increasing problems....firstly there was the problem with my shih tzu not getting on well with him. With some much needed words of advice the problem has improved slightly although I have to keep very close watch on my shih tzu. Also, I have recently had to start work. Although it is only part time I am unable to take Rupert with me because I work with fabric and he sheds badly. I have had to crate train him because he could not be left on his own for any length of time without becoming destructive.....he literally chewed right through 6 high backed leather dining chairs in the space of 2 hours much to my 'delight' :roll: !!! I could deal with the active lifestyle of a big bouncy dog but I do feel bad about leaving him at home when he is obviously unhappy, hence the destruction. The thing I can't deal with though - and the main reason for the final decision to rehome - is that his massive shedding has started to give me allergic reactions. This has gotten worse over the last couple of months.

I have been struggling with the decision of whether to rehome or not for days and days now....I know it is the sensible thing to do, but my heart is breaking - I am in tears just writing this and he hasn't even gone yet :cry:

I have contacted the labradoodle rescue today and the lady was fantastic, really lovely. She has put my mind at rest a bit knowing that any potential home would be well checked to make sure that he goes to the right family. I just don't want him to go but I know he has to.

I am so devastated.

MrsAdmin

Re: My lovely Rupert is being rehomed - I can't stop crying :(

Post by MrsAdmin » 12 Mar 2008, 14:40

Poor you.

It must be extremely hard to give up a dog you have grown to love but you are doing the right thing for Rupert, your other dog and your family.

Rupert will find a family who can cope with him and will have a happier life, and you can still love your other dog without him/her being stressed by an unhappy Doodle.

Labradoodles are fantastic dogs but they are not for everyone and it is far more sensible to accept this whilst he is still young than end up with more and more problems until you really can't cope and he is so old he would find it impossible to settle with anyone else.

Good luck with handing him over and we are thinking of you.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 12 Mar 2008, 14:43

:( :( :(
Sorry you're having to go through this, but it will be the right thing for Rupert given all the circumstances that you mention. Good luck, hope he goes to a super home.
Helen
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

amber

Post by amber » 12 Mar 2008, 14:55

Hi Angelmouse
You are very brave, and nothing will take away this hurt at the moment except time, and it will, you can be sure. The point is that he will be going to a thoroughly vetted home, and much thought will have gone into it. You can take my word for that having been part of that structure.
Of course you are crying and breaking your heart, but believe me when your boy goes to a new home, he really wont think back, he will just enjoy himself with his new family. I know that because i have witnessed it.
Please dont feel you have let him down because you havent. You have been very brave and wise, and selfless.
Amber

Dood about town

Post by Dood about town » 12 Mar 2008, 15:29

Angelmouse you are doing the right thing for the right reasons and as sad as you are now in the future you'll be able to look back and know you've got two happy dogs, and you'll be happy :D Like Amber said, the Rescue guys do a superb job so you've got no worries on that score either. Enjoy the time you've got left with him, try to make it as uneventful as poss, if poss, and let him go with a smile

Sending hugs x

fudgepuddle

Post by fudgepuddle » 12 Mar 2008, 16:39

That's so very sad :cry:

But you've done your best by him & he'll find a wonderful home.

Big hugs to you - that must have been a terrible decision to make, and you've been so brave.
xxx
Mia
x
ImageImageImage

angelmouse1980

Post by angelmouse1980 » 12 Mar 2008, 17:09

Thankyou so very much for all you kind words - I feel so awful right now. I know Rupert will be fine because he is so friendly he is happy to go with anyone, but I just feel like I have let him down. Also, I have no idea how I'm going to break this to my kids...they're going to be devastated.

I've attached some photos of my handsome man - I'm so proud of him and he is so beautiful

Flossiebag

Post by Flossiebag » 12 Mar 2008, 17:52

Awww poor you :cry: congrats on a very brave decision - he really is a very handsome man indeed
Abbey and Esmerelda Doodle
xx

Addisons Disease Information - http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 068&ref=ts

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 12 Mar 2008, 18:10

He looks soo like Muppet. Wish my OH would let me have another Dood :( but he won't budge on the issue. You have had a hard decision to make but please rest assured that the Rescue will do their utmost to find him a nice new home. :D
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

acer

Post by acer » 12 Mar 2008, 19:32

Angelmouse can I comment on this from 'the other side', recently I was lucky enough to be given a dog as the owners had too many dogs & a disabled child & didn't have the time for the dogs to all be happy. I am so grateful to them for making the brave decision to rehome their dog, they were very sad to see her go but knew in their heart of hearts it was the right thing to do for the dog. Without them being so brave I wouldn't have the most adoring little dog that I now have. The decision for you is heartbreaking but it is the right one. Someone somewhere will be eternally grateful for the most wonderful gift that you will be giving them. He'll get a home that loves him as much as you do. Be brave, believe me you feel worse than he does,take care of yourself & hats off to you for doing the right thing!
Acer x

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 12 Mar 2008, 20:29

Aw that's a lovely, helpful post from the "other side".
How touching and positive. :D
Helen
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560

angelmouse1980

Post by angelmouse1980 » 12 Mar 2008, 20:50

Thankyou 'Acer' for your post, it was lovely to hear your story. This is the reason I wanted to use the rescue so that I can be sure that he will go to a fantastic home that loves him as much as we do.

He is going to be picked up by the foster family either tomorrow or Friday.....I'm just trying to hold it together and enjoy him while he's still here (amidst a snotty nose and teary eyes.....from the allergy and crying)

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 12 Mar 2008, 22:09

Good luck .
i too have a story from "the other side". My Tanya (from a pretty horrendous background) was taken in by a lovely couple who had a JR a couple of cats and birds and lived in a small flat. Unfortunately the JRs behaviour towards her grew ever more vicious and they decided to contact me to see if i could rehome her. She came as a foster and there was basically NO WAY she was ever leaving after she had been with us for a week. She has her moments but Mac has many more (just rescued a Croc) and i thank the people who gave her up with all my heart. She now has lots of space, an ever tolerant big bro' and a family life for the rest of her days. :D

tashanlouie

Post by tashanlouie » 13 Mar 2008, 14:30

Oh it must be so awful for you :(
I'm sure he will find a loving home :D
He looks how I think Louie will look when he is bigger
Tasha

angelmouse1980

Post by angelmouse1980 » 13 Mar 2008, 22:07

Just to update......

Rupert went this morning and I have sobbed all day. He was fine when he went, tons of licks and a waggy tail which I console myself with now. I've kept his name tag and have put it on my keyring and I will be enlarging my favourite photo of him and putting it up on the wall.

The house seems empty and quiet without him here....I keep half expecting the familiar crash of the dog flap and the clattering of doodle paws on the wood floors followed by a thorough licking :cry:

I've been told that I will be updated on how he is settling although I know he will be fine as he loves everyone and really enjoys new adventures.....its just me who is not coping :(

Thanks again for all your kind comments x