EVERYONE - URGENT

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Katie Rourke

EVERYONE - URGENT

Post by Katie Rourke » 16 Mar 2008, 22:20

SENT TO ME TODAY:

I received this via a Flatcoated Retriever friend and as it concerns our area, I thought I should send it on (I know many of you are not local but it's easier to send to everyone on the Surrey Flatcoat list) plus see update at the end of my email :

I am still very shaken up by what happened this afternoon, and I want to warn everyone who walks their dogs.

Hershey and I were walking on Blackdown (local common) on a lower path that walks through the woods and not so many people use. I saw ahead a lady who instantly started trying to call Hershey to her which I thought nothing of. As I passed her she was still trying to get Hershey to come to her, but I passed her with Hershey behind me. As I passed her a man came out of the bushes carrying a stick, and I exchanged a couple of words with him, again thinking nothing. About 3 steps on I realised Hershey wasn’t with me, I turned and the girl and Hershey had disappeared and all I could see was the man sprinting away along the path. I blew my dog whistle and started sprinting in their direction. I heard Hershey yelp. I ran like I’ve never run before, and eventually caught up with them and Hershey. He’d obviously got away from them and wouldn’t go any where near them, I had to grab him to get him past them. She was laughing saying how fast he could run. I didn’t say anything as I was so shocked and felt completely vulnerable not being on the main path and being 2 of them. They had covered so much ground in such a short space of time if I hadn’t run after them I think I wouldn’t have seen him again.

Analysing how they did it I now know to be really careful. I passed her with Hershey behind me, and the man distracted me as she must have grabbed Hershey. (I assume that due to the yelp and the fact that he has never run away from me). Then as soon as I’d passed him he sprinted too.

For those of you in Haslemere: they were late 30’s and both had dark hair. He had a goatee.

Please warn others and be really aware that if you pass someone make sure your dog is in your sight and in front of you.

My tummy muscles ache now as I’ve not put that much effort into running ever before!

I’m really upset by what happened and so shocked by how quickly it occurred. I am going to stick to more open paths from now on. (and not wear wellies!)

I sent this out to the Haslemere Club members and received this note back so they are trying in other local areas too:

Haslemere - Male & female, late 30s, dark haired, male has goatie beard. Tried to steal a dog. ANOTHER try by same couple in Elstead on 15th-more details on website-WARN EVERY DOG OWNER!
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

acer

Re: EVERYONE - URGENT

Post by acer » 16 Mar 2008, 22:25

OMG :shock: So glad you got him back.
Acer x

amber

Post by amber » 16 Mar 2008, 22:29

My stomach has gone very tight reading this.
A truly terrible thing to happen, and such a shock i imagine.
Thanks for putting us on our guard.
Glad you got him back.
Amber

Wills Miller

Post by Wills Miller » 16 Mar 2008, 22:31

OMG How absolutely terrifying for you, I cannot believe it,and to be on your own too. Well done you, thank goodness you had your wits about you, and you saved Hershey.
Jill & William Miller
xx

weecheekymonkey

Post by weecheekymonkey » 16 Mar 2008, 22:31

good lord thats shocking!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Glad she got him hack!

You just never know whats round the corner, very scary :shock:

Katie I know this came from your Flatcoated Retriever friend but can I ask if it was it a retreiver or a choclate doodle?

Joanne xxx

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 16 Mar 2008, 22:36

Thats awful, glad she got her dog back. I hope she reported them to the police.

Thanks for the warning

Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

fudgepuddle

Post by fudgepuddle » 16 Mar 2008, 22:39

OMG! :oops: That so frightening! glad he wasn't taken, but could have been so much worse :cry:
Mia
x
ImageImageImage

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 16 Mar 2008, 22:45

That's scared me as we walk in both of those spots. Do you think the attempted snatches are targetted at lone females walking dogs? - I'm usually with my husband. I'll certainly keep my wits about me now.

If you don't mind Katie I'll pass this on to Doodle friends in the Guildford/Godalming area.

Sue

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk

patjoe

Post by patjoe » 16 Mar 2008, 22:48

how terrifying! I wouldn`t have stood a chance being 60 and a non runner. Its as well she was fit and realised immediately what was happening
Pat

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 16 Mar 2008, 23:07

There is more info here: http://www.doglost.co.uk/forum.asp?ID=12931 please feel free to cross-post far and wide...
Last edited by Katie Rourke on 16 Mar 2008, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

amber

Post by amber » 16 Mar 2008, 23:10

jasperaliceuk wrote:That's scared me as we walk in both of those spots. Do you think the attempted snatches are targetted at lone females walking dogs? - I'm usually with my husband. I'll certainly keep my wits about me now.

If you don't mind Katie I'll pass this on to Doodle friends in the Guildford/Godalming area.

Sue
Hi Would that include Jane Hodgey too?
Amber

Lottie'n'Alfie

Post by Lottie'n'Alfie » 16 Mar 2008, 23:13

That is terrifying and another reason why a good recall is so important so that we can keep these wonderful friendly dogs away from people who may not all be friendly!
"Alfie's eyes are like currents in an eccles cake"

weecheekymonkey

Post by weecheekymonkey » 16 Mar 2008, 23:13

Hi Amber,

Janes picked this up on the other side.

Joanne xxx

amber

Post by amber » 16 Mar 2008, 23:18

weecheekymonkey wrote:Hi Amber,

Janes picked this up on the other side.

Joanne xxx
Thanks Joanne x

Mightdoodle

Post by Mightdoodle » 16 Mar 2008, 23:19

I just wanted to add, at our dog training club locally we were warned a lot of dog thefts occurred in our area this time last year (Staffordshire).

They said the dogs that are stolen are taken over to Ireland, bred until they can't produce any more puppies, then usually shot. Apparently most of the bad puppy farming is going on in Ireland at the moment (I can't confirm this, it's just what we were told) and then the litters are brought back here and sold as (very sickly) pets.

Any exceptional dog they think they can get extra cash for is sold on abroad in the pet market, never to be seen again.

We were told NEVER to tie up a dog outside a shop, they are too easy to take. Be careful ever leaving you dog in a car. If you do, assuming the weather is hot, often thieves will break through a window you've left open to get the dog out. She said keeping a dog in a crate in your car (if you really have to leave it at all) makes them harder to steal.

Also be very careful if your garden backs onto a public right of way. Ours does unfortunately, so I don't ever let Bailey out unsupervised (which is a real pain in the neck!).

Legally you have to have your name, address and postcode on their ID tag. Some dog thieves will fuss your dog out on a walk, and take a sneaky look at the tag so they can then steal the dog from your garden at a later date. Legally you can get away with NOT having the street name on there, if you just put the house number and postcode. Also, having the dog's name on the tag is not a good idea, as a dog thief knows what to call the dog, to lure it away.

On that note, apparently many thieves will ask "innocently" what the dog's name is - so lie - make something up! Again then they can't lure your dog away so easily.

It's such a shocking thing to happen to anyone and I'm really paranoid with Bailey, but I'd never forgive myself if anyone took her.
Bailey. Supermodel.