Gutted...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
gilly39

Gutted...

Post by gilly39 » 17 Mar 2008, 12:46

Hi everyone

After leaving the forum I wouldn't be surprised if no-one replies to me but I am absolutely gutted today and so desperately upset.

Charlie was spayed on Thursday last week and everything was going OK until last night when I noticed a little redness on the wound... This morning it was red all along so I rang the vets as she was due for her checkup tonite. Half an hour after putting the phone down, she came up to me very distressed as she had started bleeding from her wound...

I couldn't lift her into the car as of course I am only 6 months past my own hysterectomy so the vets kindly sent out a practice nurse to pick us up.

The vet asked whether she has been jumping up or licking her wound and I explained that she has been really good and taking lots of rest... She said they would keep her in for 24 hours but I had to sign a consent form as they might have to open her up again.

I am so upset as she is our baby... we cant have kids as you know and so she is so special to us. Dave has come home and we are waiting for the phone to ring... I keep thinking I must have done something wrong or forgotten to do something..

I just want my baby back fit and well again... Why the hell did I put her through this... I feel terrible and I didn't know who else to talk to. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bid

Re: Gutted...

Post by Bid » 17 Mar 2008, 12:53

Awww Gilly - it's so upsetting when things happen to them :( When Daisy was spayed I though I was keeping such a close eye on her, but she was secretly licking her wound without me seeing, and got it all infected, Maybe that is all it is with Charlie, and some anti biotics will sort her out in no time. I did have to put the lampshade on Daisy though :( , but she soon got used to that. Hopefully as you have been keping a close eye on her, and she hasn't been leaping around like a mad thing ( and Daisy did do a bit of that with no ill-effects) that is all it is, and they are just being cautious. Am sending Charlie & you lots of hugs over the ether. Get your positive-thinking head on - you're an expert at that :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Berni

Post by Berni » 17 Mar 2008, 12:56

Hi Gilly

Poor Charlie :(

Dont worry - it is natural to feel guilty anyway for putting them through that. I felt the same - Cassie had a reaction to the internal stitches and it kept weeping and all swelled up.

That was exactly 3 weeks ago she had it done and now is absolutely fine.

You will be best to put a lampshade collar thing on her so she cant lick the stitches - she will hate it and I felt awful but my friend said - you have to be cruel to be kind` and it heals so much quicker if they cant get to the wound.

Dont blame yourself - these things happen - Cassie jumped over a 5 foot wall 2 days after her op and I blamed myself for letting her off the lead in my mums garden.

Anyway - she will be fine and her being kept in at the vets is the best thing so they can make sure she is okay,

Let us know later how she is.

Cassie sends big licks

Berni

wet.dog70

Post by wet.dog70 » 17 Mar 2008, 12:57

Really sorry to hear about this. She is in the best hands of course and I am sure the vet will look after her. That won't stop you worrying...
Best of luck with it.

Helen

Post by Helen » 17 Mar 2008, 12:57

SO sorry to hear about Charlie. I send you all my best wishes. Hope she is bouncing around again soon. We care about you and are thinking about you.
Love Helen & Rossi X X
Rossi & MeImage

misskatie

Post by misskatie » 17 Mar 2008, 13:01

Poor you, what a worry :( . I'm sure she'll be fine, and you won't have done anything wrong, so put that thought out of your mind. It's just as well she's kept an eye on for a little while, and I'm sure she'll soon be back home with you. :D
Lucy

Suze & Martha

Post by Suze & Martha » 17 Mar 2008, 13:02

Hi Gilly

I hope it's good news - it may just be an infection that they can treat very quickly. It sounds as though you have a really good vets, to send a nurse out to help you too - she'll be in great hands.

Keep your chin up and think positive thoughts.

lol xx

Suze & Martha xx

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 17 Mar 2008, 13:34

There are a couple of things you can actually do to help her Gilly:

Lavender Oil is fantastic at healing wounds whilst reducing scarring at the same time. (http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/a ... properties) Flossy sustained a bone deep gash to her leg while we were on holiday last year. I poured Lavender oil neat into the wound daily until we got home. By that time it was obviously healing so well I didn't need the vet after all. If I'd been at home I probably would have taken her straight in to the vets and they probably would have knocked her out, de-brided the wound and sewn it up. Leaving her with a nasty scar and me with a hefty bill. These are the suppliers that I use http://stores.ebay.co.uk/auraessentialoils - they've got an offer on at the moment. I've just stocked up!

An amino acid supplement will help heal the wound quickly from the inside - vital if she's on a commercial diet.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

fudgepuddle

Post by fudgepuddle » 17 Mar 2008, 13:38

so sorry to hear about charlie :( she's in the best possible place and they'll take wonderful care of her, and she'll be home before you know it!

We're all united in our "doodleness" - and if we cant share our stories & get support from each other, there wouldn't be any point to this site.
Mia
x
ImageImageImage

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 17 Mar 2008, 14:44

Hi Gilly

So sorry to hear about Charlie, she's in the best place and im sure they will have her on the mend very soon.

Its the waiting for poor you thats horrible, but as others have said try and put your positive head on and she will be home before you know it.

Keep us posted please. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Hilli and Yogi

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 17 Mar 2008, 14:45

I caved in and rang the vets... it's been agony holding on this long!

They said that she has had some sort of tissue reaction and isn't bleeding anymore but is losing serous fluid (which I had to look up and means the clear part of the blood)... Also her muscle wall has thickened so when she moves, it puts pressure on the wound and causes it to leak.... I guess both things are interconnected i.e. if the wound hadn't been compromised then the muscle reaction wouldn't have had any effect.

She is on antibiotics and they are keeping her in overnight... I will ring again tonite and all being well she can come out tomorrow.

She will DEFINITELY be wearing her head collar from now on... she has worn it but mostly when I have had to leave her to go upstairs or to pop to the corner shop... Maybe she has taken a crafty lick when I wasn't looking.

I just want her to be healed and a few days of her bumping into things is the lesser of two evils...

What is REALLY bizarre is that I started bleeding on about day 5 after my operation and ended up back at hospital as I had an infection..

Thanks everyone... your messages mean a lot to me. xxxxxxxxxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Mar 2008, 14:52

gilly39 wrote:Maybe she has taken a crafty lick when I wasn't looking.

They can be sneaky little monkeys these doodles :roll: I thought I had kept my eye on Daze, but no!

I would've rung the vets way before you did - it sounds very positive, but she's going to be a bit sore I guess. Glad they've got it under control & she can come home tomorrow - yay!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

donz

Post by donz » 17 Mar 2008, 15:36

Katie, what about Tea Tree and Arnica? are they as good for the exterior healing? I usually use Tea Tree for grazes, and the Arnica for bruising - reason I ask is I really hate the smell of lavender blerugh so if there is another as good I will use that but if Lavender is better I will hold my nose....

Sorry Gilly I meant to add our dogs are crafty little buggers and will do anything for a lick :wink: Don't feel bad x
ImageImage

Megan O'Sullivan

Post by Megan O'Sullivan » 17 Mar 2008, 16:02

Hi Gilly

It is awful seeing them like this, that's why I had Honey spayed last year when Megan was on holiday as I knew how upset and worried she'd be, especially if there was any kind of problem. Honey hated the plastic collars and chewed two off (not sure how) so I gave up on them but was worried about her licking the wound. It did go a little red at one point but nothing that needed attention from the vet.

We're all thinking of you all and Honey sends her sister lots of licks and woofs. :)

Catherine Ford

Post by Catherine Ford » 17 Mar 2008, 16:58

Hi Gilly, When Darcey had been speyed I used vicks vapour rub (not on the wound just around it) it worked a treat.. It was a tip i got from the forum ages ago...not sure who posted it..but it worked for Darcey. Darcey and Lara send Charlie woofs and licks and hope she feels better soon.