Gutted...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
groover

Re: Gutted...

Post by groover » 19 Mar 2008, 00:03

hi Gilly
glad everything went OK. I'm sure she'll make a speedy recovery now.

p.s nice to see you posting again.

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 19 Mar 2008, 09:44

Had a bit of a fright last night as we decided to take her for a bit of a stroll round the block having been couped up all day... in her excitement she slipped on the kitchen floor and a little bit of fluid gathered at one end of the wound and obviously leaked out.

I rang the vets but they weren't concerned... I reinstated her crate and she has had a very calm quiet night... This morning the wound is dry thank goodness. :roll: She has had brekkie and is now resting in her crate again while I finish getting ready.

It's weird how when we put her crate up she just went in there like a little lamb and does so when asked without a problem.. It's like she remembers it from being little.

Fingers crossed no traumas today... :shock:

gardnerk

Post by gardnerk » 19 Mar 2008, 09:56

Have a good day together. Hope the recovery is trouble free from now on!

ImageImage

Suze & Martha

Post by Suze & Martha » 19 Mar 2008, 09:59

it's a good start to the day Gilly and things can only get better - have a good day !

Suze & Martha xx

Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday » 19 Mar 2008, 14:00

Poor charlie, what a lot of trauma, but I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine now. They get used to the buster collar quite quickly, its the keeping them calm thats the tricky bit.

Our vet advised us to only allow Ruby out in the garden or very short lead walks while the stitches were in. I then had to take her down to the vets as I thought the stitches were infected (turns out they go red as they heal, not an infection) But as the vet watched her almost destroy the treatment room in her excitement she then advised taking her out and walking for at least 40 minutes, said she would do herself more harm cooped up than if she was out walking on the lead. I tcertainly helped a lot to calm her down.
Stitches came out on Monday and Ruby is completely back to normal!
Julie, Ruby & Raven
ImageImage

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 19 Mar 2008, 14:06

I was expecting to have to go back for stitches being removed as everything I had read said about this but they have used dissolvable stitches... Anyone else had that?

She is very funny..... when I want to look at her tum I get down on my knees and look underneath her belly... She immediately spreads her legs to give me access.. So I now ask her to 'assume the position'...

Yes she has quickly got used to the buster collar... lots of bumping into things when she is a bit excited and lots of bruises on my legs but all in all she acts like it's not there.

Megan O'Sullivan

Post by Megan O'Sullivan » 19 Mar 2008, 17:05

So glad to see Charlie's ok and getting better. :D

Honey had disolvable stitches too, I was glad we didn't have to go thro having stitches out. She sleeps on her back in a very unladylike position so checking her wound wasn't difficult! The fur has fully grown back now but thinner than before, for a while though she looked like a plucked chicken. Izzy looks like that all the time as she's never had fur on her tummy!

I'm sure Charlie will soon be back to normal and won't hold it against you!

Hope you're both having a good day:lol: :lol:

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Mar 2008, 13:15

Daisy had those stitches too - subcutaneous ones - supposed to leave less of a scar & heal quicker but our vet must need sewing lessons :shock:

How is Charlie doing Gilly? Is she going demented due to restricted exercise yet?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 20 Mar 2008, 16:45

I'm totally fed up... her wound has again swollen up and gone red with what looks like fluid behind it.. She is not due back at the vets until Saturday and when I rang them today, they just said it's normal but to be honest, I dont think the vet I spoke to fully understood what I was saying about what happened on Monday...

I have been told to keep her quiet and she just walks about moaning before settling down for a sleep... I feel so sorry for her and I am dreading more 'leakage'...

No-one has said anything but I am wondering if it's an allergic reaction... She isn't allergic normally but I wonder if it could be something like our leather sofa on her belly... I know it's a long shot but why does it keep happening...

I'm just glad it's Easter and Dave will be at home for 4 days from tomorrow..

x

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 20 Mar 2008, 18:54

Ahh Gilly, what a shame - and how worrying. Have you thought about taking her to a different vet for a second opinion ? I would if I was as worried as you clearly are.

Cheer up chick - I'm sure she will be fine.
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

kats

Post by kats » 20 Mar 2008, 19:08

am i imagining things or is this the kind of wound that a vet would usually put a drain in if fluid is building up? this way the fluid that can build up when a wound is healing can drain out rather than build up and put pressure on the stitches.

i'm probably wrong but i'm sure this is what used to happen when injured wildlife we took in needed an op. might be worth asking.

hope Charlie feels better soon Gilly - i have this to come soon with Evie and really not looking forward to it at all!
Kats and Evie x
Image Image
Some blindness is PREVENTABLE, all parents need clear Eye certificates. Don't accept excuses.

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Mar 2008, 19:47

There was a Daisy on here that had what might have been an allergic reaction when she was spayed, I've searched & found the link - I don't know if it sounds similar - she got better but she too had a rough time - here is the link http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... t=allergic
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 20 Mar 2008, 20:17

Oh dear, poor Charlie and you. :(
Have you thought about phoning that vet helpline? You might be able to describe it better to them. Vets sometimes assume you are worrying about nothing. Is someone at the surgery on call tomorrow (bank holiday) or are they open? I think you'd feel so much better if someone would have a look at it for you. Would you be able to post a photo for one of the experts on here to see? I'd have no idea, but there are plenty peeps on here who'd have a look for you.
Hope it clears up soon.
Helen
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Megan O'Sullivan

Post by Megan O'Sullivan » 20 Mar 2008, 22:31

Poor Charlie. I can't help with any suggestions other than what's already been said about phoning a helpline. Like doctors, I suppose vets can make you feel as if you're a bit daft, but you know your dog better than anyone else so don't be put off getting further advice.
Hope it all starts getting better soon x

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 20 Mar 2008, 23:13

Hel&Mark wrote:Have you thought about phoning that vet helpline?
Haven't heard of that... probably missed it.. Do you have the number in case I need it tomorrow.

It has stayed the same all day and hasn't leaked at all... I will post a photo.. One end of it is like a think pencil line and has healed beautifully. I dont think it is bothering her.. she is drinking and tucked into her tea despite not burning off many calories.

I guess I'm worried because if it is fluid then it has nowhere to go and I'm scared of her catching it... When she lays down sometimes I wince at the thought of her catching it.

Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it is...

I've learnt a new skill though... she is on antibiotics at the moment and I'm a dab hand at getting her to swallow them!

Thanks everyone for your concern..