which breeds worry you?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
wet.dog70

Re: which breeds worry you?

Post by wet.dog70 » 20 Mar 2008, 18:22

I've never met an agressive Staffie either. I think that in general terms a dog is a dog. Smaller dogs have more to be nervous about, bigger dogs are more cocky! Like Amber says every dog has the chance to be balanced.
I think statistically there are more labrador bites because there are more labradors!

saz1970

Post by saz1970 » 20 Mar 2008, 19:45

Actually Chelsea scares me sometimes :oops: :oops: . When I am in the garden and she is jumping up, nipping and pulling at my clothes! I must be a bad owner :cry:

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 20 Mar 2008, 21:21

Of course you aren't! :shock:
You're always posting on here about things you have tried and working out solutions to problems. I think you are clearly doing your very best with a challenging dog. You will get there. :D It's half the battle being able to admit to the problems, and it really helps to have a site like this and dood-mad people to mull it over with.
Helen
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 20 Mar 2008, 21:34

My Tanya can be nippy around some dogs if she can get away with it and usually its the bigger ones she "tests". I do have to put her back on the lead at points as owners who dont know she is all bark and "chase me chase me" get quite alarmed. i think she is a Terrier/whippet like cross and VERY fast. Mac on the other hand i allow to greet anyone as he can read if they are friendly or not pretty quickly and is very secure in himself. Tanya also wanders away in the woods (bell round neck) but has a fantastic tracking ability to find me again whereas Mac stays close and gives her a row when she returns. I often wonder if Tanya would be different if we got her as a pup instead of home 4. Its nature V nurture thing isnt it although in the case of humans i think the nature side was far more important than the nurture if i remember correctly.

saz1970

Post by saz1970 » 21 Mar 2008, 13:56

Thanks Helen :D I was having a bad day yesterday, dreading the school holidays! Chelsea's problem is over excitment and with the kids here it just ups the ante!! I have been to P@H today and bought 4 new raggy toys in the sale so that we all have one in our pockets to shove in her mouth when she gets bitey! I have also bought 4 tennis balls so we can do similar in the garden and see how that works.

Sorry meant to say 'put in her mouth'! Not shove :shock: , although will depend what mood I am in :D

jennieh

Post by jennieh » 21 Mar 2008, 15:42

saz1970 wrote:Actually Chelsea scares me sometimes :oops: :oops: . When I am in the garden and she is jumping up, nipping and pulling at my clothes! I must be a bad owner :cry:
I'm sure you're not..they're intelligent dogs these doodles & can be verychallenging!!! We have good days & bad days too.
On the subject of scary dogs, I'm always wary of Collies...they always want to 'round' up Barney like a sheep, & he usually ends up hiding behind me for protection!! He's such a coward :lol:

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 21 Mar 2008, 22:51

You are not alone with 'nippiness'. Jack has started developing this, despite being very good about his bite inhibitation and not wanting to touch me with his mouth. He just gets all excited and will suddenly take it into his head that the best way to love me is to attack my leg, usually from behind and unexpectedly. :( or suddenly leap up and snap at my face :cry:

He gets really wound up round my Mum and she now complains he has bruised her hands and left a mark (she does have very thin elderly skin) so advice on 'nipping this in the bud' very welcome.

We try all the 'ignore it on arrival' tricks and having a toy to shove (definitely have to be quick on that one) in his mouth and loads of 'leave it' but he still goes over the top.

Now he's doing it to dogs when he runs free too :evil:

Going back to the original thread - is the 'poodle' in him coming out or is he just being naughty and growing up? - debate
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

saz1970

Post by saz1970 » 22 Mar 2008, 11:10

I am trying some new techniques with Chelsea - one of which is TTouch, although I posted about this and didn't get much response. I have ordered a book about it but so far have just tried massaging small circles on Chelseas back and round her ears and talking in a calm soothing voice. Obviously this doesn't work when she is already overexcited but in the evenings when she is pacing and panting and building up to madness then it seems to help calm her down and she loves it a lot more than normal stroking! Sounds mad but I will try anything! I have also bought some cheap raggy, squeaky toys, and we now have one each in our pocket so that we can throw it or shove it in her mouth quickly. I have 4 tennis balls on the way to the garden so we can grab one and throw it as soon as we get outside. This seems to prevent the jumping up as she runs towards the ball rather than towards us. Not sure if these are the right tactics as I am a bit worried that she is being rewarded for excitable behavior with a toy but I have tried many other things which haven't yet worked :roll: I think the nipping worries me more as she gets older because I start to think of her as a badly behaved dog rather than just a normal puppy! Funny thing is that when she is calm she has such a soft mouth and I would trust her not to hurt anyone - it is just the excitment. Unfortunately the excitment is often brought on by strangers and visitors and the last thing you want is biting when you have guests!!!

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 22 Mar 2008, 11:45

Sounds very interesting, that. I think if it seems to be working, then it's the right thing to do! :D
We struggle with guests too. Barley just hurls himself at them and all over them. :roll: There are slight improvements lately, but I have to encourage my kids to meet up with other kids rather than have them here. I'm certain he would never be aggressive, but I know for a fact he'd knock a small child over, pin them down and lick them, and I can't put anyone through that! :roll: Even with a lead left on, he's beside himself with excitement for at least 10 minutes when they arrive and I have to sit there grappling with him until he's calm. With adults, he'll calm down, but with kids, well, they just don't do anything in a calm manner do they?
Good luck with TTouch, keep us posted on it.
Helen
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

JanieM

Post by JanieM » 22 Mar 2008, 11:47

saz1970 you're not alone! I'm having the same troubles with Brian. When he gets over excited or tired he can turn into a little (getting bigger!) monster. His favorite thing is to jump up and grab cuffs, trouser legs, bottom of jumpers, feet...anything really and can really hurt at times (especially if you've only got socks on). It can be very difficult to get him off as any rebuke seems to excite him more and he has a tendency of coming back at you (this really worries me as he's only 15 weeks).
He gets loads of attention and plenty of exercise (he never knows when he's had enough :roll: ), I think he's just trying it on and being the defiant doodle! At all other times he is absolutely wonderful, but I do get worried about visitors and such who might not appreciate being flung at :shock: !

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! :D

saz1970

Post by saz1970 » 22 Mar 2008, 14:35

Janie - one thing that might help (and I am trying to do it now but think I have left it a bit late) is teaching Brain to settle down. Put a lead on him in the house and then sit down with your foot on it so that he doesn't have much choice but to lay down next to you. Then give him a kong or chewy bone or similar and praise him when he is laying quietly chewing and ignore him if he does anything else like try to jump up. If you say something like 'good boy, settle down' then the theory is that he may learn that command. I would imagine if you did this every day for half an hour, say when you are reading a book or watching tele then eventually the puppy would settle down quickly and know what was expected. I can see that this could be very helpful if you have guests or want to go to the pub for a drink say. Try it and see how you get on. I would be interested to know as Brian is still young and would hopefully learn quite quickly. Good luck!! :D

The other thing I have always found with Chelsea is that she is so full of energy she doesn't know when to stop and this leads to her getting overtired. Not sure if you have children but if you have ever dealt with an overtired toddler they are a nightmare!!! Sometimes she just needs to be out of the way and peaceful to wind down and sleep!

JanieM

Post by JanieM » 22 Mar 2008, 19:34

Thanks saz1970, this "settling down" command would be wonderful! Brian is on a house line only when he's in the lounge but I haven't tried keeping him close to me, he usually wanders off to chew is pig ear or whatever but I'll try the foot on the line idea and see what happens (obviously will take a bit of time but hopefully he'll get the idea).

I think Brian does get over tired and it's hard to recognise it as tiredness because he seems to have boundless energy! We only have a small kitchen and because of the set up here at home it's hard (especially in the evenings and we have to cook) to give him time to sleep without us being in the room, he always wants to be invovled in everything so if we're there he doesn't rest. I guess I'll just have to work round this in my own way.

Thanks for the advise, is so good to know I'm not alone!

wet.dog70

Post by wet.dog70 » 25 Mar 2008, 11:06

Hi,
We had some success with this and our last dog who was a bit hyper. I am not an expert but this worked for us.
We started with the amichien bonding that Jan Flemming recommends in her book,'the dog listener'. Basically, this comes down to giving the dog a stiff ignoring when you first meet and greet (after work or in the morning) for 5 minutes. At first our dog just jumped all the harder but then he got the idea and went off and sulked in the corner. Once the dog gets into the right state of mind, you can call them over and share affection. It really works well if you stick to it. At first its counter-intuitive to ignore the dog when they are being friendly but its worth it :D
The only other thing I would say is just to watch your own excitement levels, the calmer you are, even when correcting the calmer the dog will be. Darcy, although very calm can get excited sometimes, I push her gently away and say 'no', or 'leave' or whatever correction is appropriate. I keep it neutral and she normally picks up on the calmess. I also use 'settle' and when I see her relax, I reward.

JanieM

Post by JanieM » 26 Mar 2008, 11:34

wet.dog70

Thank you for this advice it makes very good sense. Will see how I go with Brian! :D